Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think of a new tax!

• 20-07-2012 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

What about a new tax: that which has never been taxed before but will raise significant amounts. Even if very small amounts a volume could generate income. A log on tax?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Think we had this thread before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Shite thread tax!

Oops you owe €67,837,988.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cannabis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Fap tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Laziest minister for finance ever. At least think up for own feckin taxes Michael

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

A tax on imposing taxes..that way they would eventually bankrupt themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Bear tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

A tax on windows would also be a fine idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Tax credits for being fit (based on BMI or % body fat or whatever). Extra tax if you outside certain limits.

To me this makes alot of sence. Would make alot of people healtier, not to mention the millions that it would save the HSE.

And to those that say the my whole family is 'fat' or that it runs in the family i will only say that it isn't genetic. There is only a very few very rare dieseases that are truly genetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Complaining about the government tax or complaing about the weather tax.

Sure to raise trillions upon trillions.

• Advertisement

Tax credits for being fit (based on BMI or % body fat or whatever). Extra tax if you outside certain limits.

To me this makes alot of sence. Would make alot of people healtier, not to mention the millions that it would save the HSE.

And to those that say the my whole family is 'fat' or that it runs in the family i will only say that it isn't generic. There is only a very few very rare dieseases that are truly generic.
    I think you mean genetic

Would pensioners be exempt? Personally I plan to get super fat when I'm a pensioner because by then you're bound to die soon anyway so why not have some fun? I'll also take up drinking in the morning and smoking tons of weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Chugger tax. You don't pay with money, the public kill you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

tax their (politicians) bonuses and air they breathe to lie with..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

fingering your arse tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The trying to bring in new tax tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

body hair and freckles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

incorrect word usage tax, literally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

There is only a very few very rare dieseases that are truly generic

You mean genetic?

Your idea's whack btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Vag Tax. Only women and Ryan Tubridy pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

token101 wrote: »
    Vag Tax. Only women and Ryan Tubridy pay.

Male homosexual couples take over the country as a result :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Tracksuit tax. Think of the money that would be made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Phil Hogan has subscribed to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

A Tax on Tax! My own OC ;)23744575.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I love how most people see tax as a means of eliminating elements of society that they dislike. Sure when all the stuff you hate has disappeared there'll be no reason for taxes to exist. Utopias like that pay for themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Bear tax.
    I pay the Homer tax. Let the bears pay the bear tax.

phasers wrote: »
    I think you mean genetic

Would pensioners be exempt? Personally I plan to get super fat when I'm a pensioner because by then you're bound to die soon anyway so why not have some fun? I'll also take up drinking in the morning and smoking tons of weed.

Yes. sorry. I am very stupid when it comes to spelling. sorry

I would think so yea. Pensioners have it hard enough as it is.
    Your idea's whack btw.
    Is 'whack' good or bad?

An incentive for people to keep healty seem to be a good idea. If you dont want to be healty you are bound to be the one that will end up costing the tax payer the most money in medication and HSE expenses and so is in not resonable that they should pay more

The people who keep themselves fit and healty dont genearly cost near as much money to the HSE so why should they take the burden for people who eat mc donnals ever day and have not excersied since they were in school?

Of course there is going to be people with medical conditions or whatever that will make them exempt but i dont see why it shouldn't work for 98% of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

A tax on being alive..pay more as you get older

Yes. sorry. I am very stupid when it comes to spelling. sorry

I would think so yea. Pensioners have it hard enough as it is.

Is 'whack' good or bad?

An incentive for people to keep healty seem to be a good idea. If you dont want to be healty you are bound to be the one that will end up costing the tax payer the most money in medication and HSE expenses and so is in not resonable that they should pay more

The people who keep themselves fit and healty dont genearly cost near as much money to the HSE so why should they take the burden for people who eat mc donnals ever day and have not excersied since they were in school?

Of course there is going to be people with medical conditions or whatever that will make them exempt but i dont see why it shouldn't work for 98% of the population.
    Question.

My Dad is pretty fat but has never been sick. I mean he's had the odd cold but he's never been seriously unwell and thus has never cost the taxpayer anything. He's worked his whole life and pays PRSI. Is it really fair that my Dad pays an extra tax even though he has never been any kind of burden on anyone? In fact he's funded other people's healthcare through his taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

notnumber wrote: »
    thats been done before in Ireland has it not...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Cannabis tax, country would make a bomb

Question.

My Dad is pretty fat but has never been sick. I mean he's had the odd cold but he's never been seriously unwell and thus has never cost the taxpayer anything. He's worked his whole life and pays PRSI. Is it really fair that my Dad pays an extra tax even though he has never been any kind of burden on anyone? In fact he's funded other people's healthcare through his taxes.

Glad to hear you dad has never been sick. I see your point and thanks for the response. That system would be somewhat unfair.
    I am thinking on the spot here.

prehaps a better system would be just giving tax credits to people who keep healty/fit/whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

bbam wrote: »
    thats been done before in Ireland has it not...

That's where the expression 'daylight robbery' comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

notnumber wrote: »

Microsoft pay lots already here in this country...

;)

A tax on the economy turning corners......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

LoYL wrote: »
    What about a new tax: that which has never been taxed before but will raise significant amounts. Even if very small amounts a volume could generate income. A log on tax?

I'd put a one cent tax on every receipt (not every item on that receipt).

So whether your receipt is for 99c or skies the limit, I'd have a 1 cent tax on it.

I'd simply call it an 'emergency tax' or something simple like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

whether your receipt is for 99c or skies the limit, I'd have a 1 cent tax on it.

You've inspired me!

A 1c tax on anything costing €X.99

Road tax for cyclist's?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

kr7 wrote: »
    Road tax for cyclist's?
    Road tax for cars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A tax on total money in all bank accounts and market value of assets over the year paid on a pro-rata basis. eg. if you owned a €200k house for 6 months you pay half the yearly rate. If you make 50k but spend it all you pay less because it is in line with your outgoings etc. etc.

Road tax for cars!

That's already ridiculous in ROI! Cyclists to pay a fiver a year for a permit and fins for no helmet or cycling on footpaths or obstructing traffic purposefully..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Toilet tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A tax on total money in all bank accounts

Dirt Interest Retention Tax, DIRT

And it's a nasty 30%

And you don't escape if you go to Rabobank, they may be Dutch but Michael Noonan still takes his money

A tax on total money in all bank accounts and market value of assets over the year paid on a pro-rata basis. eg. if you owned a €200k house for 6 months you pay half the yearly rate. If you make 50k but spend it all you pay less because it is in line with your outgoings etc. etc.

That would only encourage people not to save. If i knew i was going to be taxed on what i didn't spend then i would spend it all.

Plus you have all ready been taxed on your 50k earnings. This would just be another tax afterwords

Why not just bring in a 3rd rate of tax and put it at like 70% if you earn over 100k per year.

That would only encourage people not to save. If i knew i was going to be taxed on what i didn't spend then i would spend it all.

Plus you have all ready been taxed on your 50k earnings. This would just be another tax afterwords

Why not just bring in a 3rd rate of tax and put it at like 70% if you earn over 100k per year.

I see it as a short term measure. One way to avoid it would to invest in a pension or invest in Irish bonds. Other wise you can spend which feeds back into the system.

As for a 70% tax. As much as I am a lefty, I don't agree with taxation beyond 50% for some but not for others. Its unfair that other's benefit more than you from your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How about a 1 cent tax on all texts, make people look for free alternatives. As a nation we send far too many of them and the phone networks make an absolute packet for something that's 100% profit and puts no strain on their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Laziest minister for finance ever. At least think up for own feckin taxes Michael

Not defending the fúckwit, but Merkel is wearing the trousers so she does the deciding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

A leaving town tax.

I see it as a short term measure. One way to avoid it would to invest in a pension or invest in Irish bonds. Other wise you can spend which feeds back into the system.

As for a 70% tax. As much as I am a lefty, I don't agree with taxation beyond 50% for some but not for others. Its unfair that other's benefit more than you from your work.

Haha. ok. 70% proberly is a bit much. i would still like to see a third rate of tax introduced for the very wealty. even if it is 55% for over 500k. I dont really mind as long as very rich people pay a higher rate of tax than the average earner.

And you said that the tax would be on all money in the bank account. Would this apply to companys? What if it is a multi-national company? that would only encourage them to bank with someone outside ireland. Also have to think when would this apply. is it the money in the account as of a certain date or the money that passed through the account through out the year?

Also who values the 'market value of assets'. Is it the companys own valueation (as in balance sheet) or are assets independantly assesed? What if some of the assest are outside the country?

Haha. ok. 70% proberly is a bit much. i would still like to see a third rate of tax introduced for the very wealty. even if it is 55% for over 500k. I dont really mind as long as very rich people pay a higher rate of tax than the average earner.

And you said that the tax would be on all money in the bank account. Would this apply to companys? What if it is a multi-national company? that would only encourage them to bank with someone outside ireland. Also have to think when would this apply. is it the money in the account as of a certain date or the money that passed through the account through out the year?

Also who values the 'market value of assets'. Is it the companys own valueation (as in balance sheet) or are assets independantly assesed? What if some of the assest are outside the country?

I was talking about individuals but something similar could be applied to companies.
    Basically you pay half the rate if the money was only in your account for 6 months. If you spend all your wages in the first week on the month you pay only 1 twelfth of the rate for that amount.

I was talking about individuals but something similar could be applied to companies.
    Basically you pay half the rate if the money was only in your account for 6 months. If you spend all your wages in the first week on the month you pay only 1 twelfth of the rate for that amount.

Interesting idea though. I still think that this will stop people saving.

lets say that i have a savings account that i dont take money out of. I have 5k in there. I will be taxed on that. No problems there.
    Next year i still have 5k (plus interest - tax). Will i be taxed again on the same money and at a higher rate becouse the money was in there longer?

that is it. I am hiding my money under my bed ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement