Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pram factory in Clonmel.

Options
  • 20-07-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Does anyone have any info on the pram factory in Clonmel? Where was it ? Would there be old newspapers with reports of the fire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Dont know of any reports or anything, but i do remember that it was sort of where Gleesons pub is now, i can remember going in there as a teen after the place was closed down hazy memories tho!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

Fionn wrote: »
    Dont know of any reports or anything, but i do remember that it was sort of where Gleesons pub is now, i can remember going in there as a teen after the place was closed down hazy memories tho!
    thanks. what year would that have been and how would you go after itwas closed down. it was destroyed by fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

yeah it was a fire ok,
    i cant say for certain but i'm sure it was very early 70's

maybe if you contacted the Nationalist they'd have a record of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I think that Donal Wylde's (excellent) book of photos of Clonmel from the 50's and 60's has some photos of the pram factory.

"The Light Of Other Days" was available in Eason's in Clonmel up to recently.

cml387 wrote: »
    I think that Donal Wylde's (excellent) book of photos of Clonmel from the 50's and 60's has some photos of the pram factory.

"The Light Of Other Days" was available in Eason's in Clonmel up to recently.
    thanks I will have a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 e v bourke

The Pram Factory was located inside the gate of the old Prison in one of the old prison buildings up to the mid 1960's. This was on Emmet Street and only the old gate is left. They moved to Irishtown to a premises behind the Gem shop about 100 yards past the West Gate on the left.
    A fire in the early 1970's burned the factory to the ground.
    My mother still has a very large pram that she bought for me in 1958 and got great use out of it as I am eldest of 14.
    The products were top quality as this pram is still like new. They used the West Gate as their logo on the transfer on the prams.

e v bourke wrote: »
    The Pram Factory was located inside the gate of the old Prison in one of the old prison buildings up to the mid 1960's. This was on Emmet Street and only the old gate is left. They moved to Irishtown to a premises behind the Gem shop about 100 yards past the West Gate on the left.
    A fire in the early 1970's burned the factory to the ground.
    My mother still has a very large pram that she bought for me in 1958 and got great use out of it as I am eldest of 14.
    The products were top quality as this pram is still like new. They used the West Gate as their logo on the transfer on the prams.
    thanks. can you post a pic of the pram

• Registered Users Posts: 2 e v bourke

When i am next in Clonmel I will photograph the pram, might be a few weeks.
    The factory made several sizes of prams, will have to look and see if mam still has brochure, think we had one or an add.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pkevin

Hi
    I decided to refurb the family pram and was curious as it had the West Gate image and Clonmel Transfer on the front, whether the pram was in fact made there or just labeled for a supplier. Fantastic to hear they were made there, the joys of the Internet.
    Our pram would have been bought in 1960 and as we live just 28 miles from Clonmel (Boherlahan) it is likely my mum bought it directly from the factory.

I am more used to restoring old motorcycles but decided to give the pram a go...

The coach work is in good condition but the white(?) vinyl had had its day, as had the hood lining, both were replaced the vinyl with white leather and a nice blue leopard skin effect fabric in the hood (very 1950/60s).

baby son loves his rockin pram... If you would like a picture of the pram email me at pip.kevin1@gmail. com.

It will be really great to have a little more story to give when people stop and ask about the pram, thanks.

Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

My recollection is that it moved from Irishtown to the Borristal, but must admit that the poster seems to be quite confident of his facts.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Xenophile wrote: »
    My recollection is that it moved from Irishtown to the Borristal, but must admit that the poster seems to be quite confident of his facts.

When Kinsella's (much missed) pub in Irishtown was open, there was a clear view of the remains of the factory from the beer garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

Pkevin wrote: »
    Hi
    I decided to refurb the family pram and was curious as it had the West Gate image and Clonmel Transfer on the front, whether the pram was in fact made there or just labeled for a supplier. Fantastic to hear they were made there, the joys of the Internet.
    Our pram would have been bought in 1960 and as we live just 28 miles from Clonmel (Boherlahan) it is likely my mum bought it directly from the factory.

I am more used to restoring old motorcycles but decided to give the pram a go...

The coach work is in good condition but the white(?) vinyl had had its day, as had the hood lining, both were replaced the vinyl with white leather and a nice blue leopard skin effect fabric in the hood (very 1950/60s).

baby son loves his rockin pram... If you would like a picture of the pram email me at pip.kevin1@gmail. com.

It will be really great to have a little more story to give when people stop and ask about the pram, thanks.

Philip
    could you upload a pic here? see Manage attachments

Here is a couple of images, tried this before but it didn't work
    Philip

And again

Pram

Thanks Shay and Imelda at Revival for the lovely leather interior restoration :P

Advertisement