Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pierre Boulez on BBC proms

• 20-07-2012 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

My god, just sat through... Was it really only 45mins of Pierre Boulez. I feel like I deserve a medal. As a relative newcomer to the classical music scene I suspect I must be a traditionalist or am I missing something here? I'm certainly not a fan of this composer. Presumably, he's an aquired taste?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well what can happen is when people start to listen classical music they start with all the big names, Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninivv etc. And gradually you get exposed to more and more composers and move away from the more traditional composers and start delving into modern and 20/21st century music. That's what happened to me anyway! Most of the music I listen to was written in the last 100 years and while I love the music of the big names it's the modern music that excites me the most. Give it more of a chance and you will (hopefully) grow to love it! Start with Debussy, Stravinsky, Scriabin, ravel, Messiaen and go from there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Thanks for those suggestions. I've been wondering what to listen to next. Vivaldi is my favourite so far, but I've probably only really listened to about 10 composers so far. Violins! I really like violins. But I would like to listen to much more modern works too.

I see they've more of him on 2moro night too, only 20mins though. Maybe he'll grow on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Some modern stuff can definitely be a lot more inaccessible than the 'classics', thankfully there's an abundance of both old and new, so regardless of your preference, there's plenty to listen to. This youtube channel has a load of full length concerto's/symphonies. Pretty handy for listening to in work etc.
    pconn062 wrote: »
    Well what can happen is when people start to listen classical music they start with all the big names, Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninivv etc. And gradually you get exposed to more and more composers and move away from the more traditional composers and start delving into modern and 20/21st century music. That's what happened to me anyway! Most of the music I listen to was written in the last 100 years and while I love the music of the big names it's the modern music that excites me the most. Give it more of a chance and you will (hopefully) grow to love it! Start with Debussy, Stravinsky, Scriabin, ravel, Messiaen and go from there!
    pfft, how could you skip Shostakovich? :)

pfft, how could you skip Shostakovich? :)

I've heard him mentioned quite a lot on another forum. He certainly seems to have something a lot of people like. I think I'll give him a try.

EDIT: Have since listened to some Shostakovich and am suitably impressed. Thanks!

pconn062 wrote: »
    [...]And gradually you get exposed to more and more composers
    [...]Start with Debussy, Stravinsky, Scriabin, ravel, Messiaen and go from there!

I see what you mean now. I've just spent the last few hours chasing various Artists/Pieces of music around YouTube. Am currently listening to Hilary Hahn perform the Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in A Minor, Op. 82 (Composed by Alexander Glazunov) while typing this and am enjoying it immensely.

Thanks again for the advice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

No problem, hope you enjoy! :)

And I don't know how I could miss Shostakovich, he's one of my favourites!

Well, wasn't quite so painful last night, although it was only 20mins. Still sounds a lot like random sound effects to me rather than an actual composition but then as I said before, I'm new to all this. Still, I'm glad of the variety though. Be very sad if all stopped with Vivaldi ;0D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

gufnork wrote: »
    Well, wasn't quite so painful last night, although it was only 20mins. Still sounds a lot like random sound effects to me rather than an actual composition but then as I said before, I'm new to all this. Still, I'm glad of the variety though. Be very sad if all stopped with Vivaldi ;0D

It would be one definition of hell if we stopped with Vivaldi :)

So, I see our ol' friend Peirre's up to his old tricks again then. I had high hopes for him this week while listening to the first piece(the one with the flute player), in the sense that it did have a certain... something, and did at least engage the emotions. But then, alas, on come the Cellists for the second piece and we're back to the Pierre Boulez we've all come to know and... well, to know anyway.

Being serious for a moment though, will Pierre get better for me in time, as my experience with classical music grows or is this as far as it goes for me and ol' Pierre? Still have real trouble imagining myself strolling along listening to Pierre on my ipod. I suppose I could look at him as a challenge. After all, if I can learn to love Pierre, nothing will ever seem quite so bad again.

So, I see our ol' friend Peirre's up to his old tricks again then. I had high hopes for him this week while listening to the first piece(the one with the flute player), in the sense that it did have a certain... something, and did at least engage the emotions. But then, alas, on come the Cellists for the second piece and we're back to the Pierre Boulez we've all come to know and... well, to know anyway.

Being serious for a moment though, will Pierre get better for me in time, as my experience with classical music grows or is this as far as it goes for me and ol' Pierre? Still have real trouble imagining myself strolling along listening to Pierre on my ipod. I suppose I could look at him as a challenge. After all, if I can learn to love Pierre, nothing will ever seem quite so bad again.

Can't wait for your opinion on the operas of Berg or Henze and you are in for a real treat when you get to Anton Webern

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

TBH I'm sure they've already dealt with these if they're on to Boulez.
    Boulez is still elusive for me also,
    often far too dry and lackluster(and I think of myself as a bit of an avant-garde nut.)
    And yet. there are pieces of his I absolutely love. He does write some mighty fine rhythms.

Norrdeth wrote: »
    [...]there are pieces of his I absolutely love. He does write some mighty fine rhythms.

I'd love to hear some good stuff. I don't suppose any of the pieces you're thinking of are on youtube by any chance? I'm determined to find something of his that really surprises me, in a god-thats-actually-quite-good kind of way.

I'd love to hear some good stuff. I don't suppose any of the pieces you're thinking of are on youtube by any chance? I'm determined to find something of his that really surprises me, in a god-thats-actually-quite-good kind of way.

I think you might be disappointed then , it was Boulez himself said of Arvo Part ( At least I think it was Part he was talking about, or possibly Einaudi) that they held absolutely no interest for him as he knew exactly how and where their music going after 5 seconds. So if it is old fashioned melody you are seeking you might be looking in the wrong place.

Not that there is anything wrong with melody mind you.

That's a pretty presumptuous comment,
    I would be in agreement with Boulez's opinion though.

Einaudi to me is aural candy floss.
    Sweet at first, but bad for you in the long run.

Here's a piece that I'm quite fond of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr0i9c21H2Q

There's also a talk he does on this piece here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=500M4J-Qrbw

Here's a piece that I'm quite fond of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr0i9c21H2Q

There's also a talk he does on this piece here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=500M4J-Qrbw[/QUOTE]

Not presumptuous at all , just quoting the views of the man himself . I neither endorse not oppose that view :)

What about the disappointment in not finding something worthwhile to listen to in Boulez's music?
    But I suppose each to their own.

What about the disappointment in not finding something worthwhile to listen to in Boulez's music?
    But I suppose each to their own.

I suppose each to their own indeed , but that is the great thing about music if you don't find it in Boulez there is another genius just around the corner - an endless voyage of discovery and not enough lifetimes to discover it all . And in the words of another great composer

Voulez vous Boulez (ah-ha)
    Take it now or leave (ah-ha)
    Now it's all we get (ah-ha)
    Nothing promised, no regrets
    Voulez vous Boulez (ah-ha):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

marienbad wrote: »

There's also a talk he does on this piece here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=500M4J-Qrbw[/QUOTE]

Not presumptuous at all , just quoting the views of the man himself . I neither endorse not oppose that view :)

That's a great piece!

I also think this is brilliant: The orchestra versions of Notations. Here's the Berlin Phil playing number II. I know he's working on finishing all of them but we'll see if he does.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyXGfztLEMA

With this stuff in general, I think you get much more out of a live performance as opposed to listening on a CD. Some of the stuff is very virtuosic and watching is as important as listening.

Also like this:
    Eclat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcppAzVigiw

Last year I had the privilege of performing Eclat and his massive piece, Pli Selon Pli. I didn't like all of it but you definitely gain a huge appreciation once you play it. Was bloody difficult too!

Advertisement