Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Quinn - A man more sinned against than sinning?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I agree with your thought process on this one. As you say it may well be a masterplan that went wrong. However, both parties (Anglo and Quinn) should stand trial and not just one.
    Willie McAteer has just been charged, he was Chief Finacial Officer at Anglo, another person is expected to be charged soo (We can guess who that is), so far NONE of the Quinn gang have been charged but we live in hope.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Willie McAteer has just been charged, he was Chief Finacial Officer at Anglo, another person is expected to be charged soo (We can guess who that is), so far NONE of the Quinn gang have been charged but we live in hope.

About time they made a move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

There is a facebook page dedicated to supporting this fool. I actually can't believe people would ever support him or his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There's a 'relative' :rolleyes: of the Quinn family on Joe Duffy now defending the clan. Why are they given airtime to defend the jail bird?

It's unbelievable the way people have deluded themselves into thinking that family are innocent victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'd love for someone to explain to me in simple bullet points why he's a dickhead.

A fair question. I don't think he's any more greedy than any other human being. Alas, I had to look outside this thread for an answer to what he had done wrong. So hear it goes...

1) He borrowed €451 million from Anglo Irish Bank to buy shares in...... Anglo Irish bank.

2) When this illegal and risky venture was going to wipe out his family fortune he started moving his assets, business etc. into other countries. He moved his offices up North so he could declare himself bankrupt in the Republic.

3)He began making his money 'disappear' in dodgy dealings all over the world (Eastern Europe) to avoid paying the money back that he owed.

So what is currently happening is that he's being taken to court in Ireland by the Irish Bank Resolution Company (IBRC) to basically get the money back that is owed to Anglo which is now Owned by the State and so are all it's debts. Because he and his son & Nephew wouldn't cough up info, they're being held on contempt of court.

I don't think he's a scape goat, I don't think he's more sinned against than sinning. He broke the law, he has been dishonest. My hope is that he'll be the first of many. From what I can gather, his is the first case that has been taken to court because plenty of information is there to charge him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

musings wrote: »
    I've just watched on the news that Sean Quinn's son has been sent to prison for contempt of Court.

In 2008 Sean Quinn was trying his best to buy over the fraudulent Anglo Irish Bank. At the time, he believed that this bank was a sound investment and that he should purchase shares in the bank. No doubt he believed all the hype about this wonder bank and thought that buying it over would be the jewel in a glittering business career.

Meanwhile Seanie Fitz & Co. were inside cooking the books and swapping money with Permanent TSB trying to make the bank look solvent...when as we know it was far from it.

Sean Quinn was bankrupted by Anglo management's fraudulent behaviour.

Am I the only one who wonders why Sean Quinn is being hauled through the courts and nothing has happened ANY of the bankers who mislead him into investing in the bank?

Yes, he shouldn't have gambled all his wealth on it....but at the end of the day, he was sold a pup, which bankrupted him.

I feel sympathy for the man.

I also find it deeply suspicious that Quinn insurance was found to fail solvency rules as soon as the government needed cash and generously intervened to take over this cash cow and "protect consumers"

Is this just a state sponsored witch hunt of arguably our greatest Entrepreneur?

People seem to forget why Quinn insurance was taken off him. It was because he was insuring way too many people for the capital he had. There are regulations by which you must work under in the insurance industry and he didn't follow them. It wasn't anything to do with Anglo.

And he isn't in court because he gambled and failed. He's in court because he gambled with borrowed money instead of his ow and when he lost he decided he didn't need to pay it back.

And his family aren't being jailed because of Anglo, they are there because they disobeyed court orders.

So no, he is not more sinned against than he is a sinner. He is a greedy bastard he won,t , not can't, pay his massive debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,919 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How come the Banking Regulator was not arrested and charged with neglecting his duty and aiding and abetting Anglo etc to dupe the people and in doing so bankrupting the state ?
    This man was allowed walk off with a big pension and a golden handshake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

charged with neglecting his duty and aiding and abetting Anglo

Are those charges in any legislation or are they makey uppy charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,919 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MagicSean wrote: »
    Are those charges in any legislation or are they makey uppy charges?

Whatever way you look at it he turned a blind-eye to what was going on. He was supposed to be inspecting them for breaches of the Banking regulations but allowed himself to be wined and dined and never carried out his duties. There has to be some repercussions for that surely. Had he been doing his job things might not be as bad as they are now and many people would have been spared the suffering they are now going through. Dereliction of duty ??

If you as a Garda were trusted with minding a state building and someone came and burned it down because you were in the pub, would you escape punishment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 concernman

Please sign this petition to support the Quinn Family.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/people-of-ireland-support-the-quinn-family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

concernman wrote: »

Yes, please sign here if you support fraud, illegal investment practices and contempt of court.

I wonder how you would have felt if Quinn couldn't cover your claim because they found themselves in a position where they were liable for more than their assets could cover.

It's a disgrace how we support the 'cute hoors' in this country, all this sure 'wouldn't we all do the same' lark is madness. We can ignore court rulings as we pick and chose can we ? Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Have people actually been stupid enough to sign this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

smash wrote: »
    Have people actually been stupid enough to sign this?

Only 1 so far

Name: Ben Sweeney on Jul 23, 2012
    Comments: I support the Quinn Family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Why?

I don't have any support for these greedy muppets, who complain about living on €2,000/week.

The petition to haul a few more of them up, that one I'd sign, do you have an links to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 concernman

Boombastic wrote: »
    Why?

I don't have any support for these greedy muppets, who complain about living on €2,000/week.

The petition to haul a few more of them up, that one I'd sign, do you have an links to one?

The truth will come out. Please sign, this is a normal family just like you or me. If your family were being jailed like that you would not like it. These are the good guys. Look at all the jobs they created. I am Ben Sweeney by the way. I am not related to the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The truth will come out. Please sign, this is a normal family just like you or me.

Ya, twas only the other day meself and the missus were over in Eastern Europe trying to hide funds with a mob boss....

mikom wrote: »
    Ya, twas only the other day meself and the missus were over in Eastern Europe trying to hide funds with a mob boss....

You should have sent them my way, I would have given them a loan to buy my bank;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Proof that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, well done.

Interesting news today that 2 ex Anglo chiefs have been arrested. The case against them is that they knowingly lent money to a group of investors with the sole of propping up the angle share price. Which, by the way is illegal.

This is what quinn has been saying all along. And has a case coming up in relation to this.

M three wrote: »
    Proof that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, well done.

Witty enough to know that your 33 posts in the Cavan forum puts you down as a parochial poster pal........ http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=311116&date_to=&date_from=&query=*%3A*&forum=944

You'd fit in well in the Vatican by the looks of it...........

• Advertisement

Witty enough to know that your 33 posts in the Cavan forum puts you down as a parochial poster pal........ http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=311116&date_to=&date_from=&query=*%3A*&forum=944

So because I'm from there means I cant have an opinion on this?
    Interesting attempt at censorship....pal.....

When you sleep with dogs, you get fleas

So because I'm from there means I cant have an opinion on this?
    Interesting attempt at censorship....pal.....

Don't forget to sign the petition.

The fan club meeting is on the first of every month in the phone box up the road from Quinns mansion.

You'd fit in well in the Vatican by the looks of it...........

Touchy arent we :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

musings wrote: »
    I've just watched on the news that Sean Quinn's son has been sent to prison for contempt of Court.

In 2008 Sean Quinn was trying his best to buy over the fraudulent Anglo Irish Bank. At the time, he believed that this bank was a sound investment and that he should purchase shares in the bank. No doubt he believed all the hype about this wonder bank and thought that buying it over would be the jewel in a glittering business career.

Meanwhile Seanie Fitz & Co. were inside cooking the books and swapping money with Permanent TSB trying to make the bank look solvent...when as we know it was far from it.

Sean Quinn was bankrupted by Anglo management's fraudulent behaviour.

Am I the only one who wonders why Sean Quinn is being hauled through the courts and nothing has happened ANY of the bankers who mislead him into investing in the bank?

Yes, he shouldn't have gambled all his wealth on it....but at the end of the day, he was sold a pup, which bankrupted him.

I feel sympathy for the man.

I also find it deeply suspicious that Quinn insurance was found to fail solvency rules as soon as the government needed cash and generously intervened to take over this cash cow and "protect consumers"

Is this just a state sponsored witch hunt of arguably our greatest Entrepreneur?

Ehh hello is there anyone in there ?
    I hope to God we are not wasting or have not wasted taxpayers money on your education.
    The truth will come out. Please sign, this is a normal family just like you or me.
    If your family were being jailed like that you would not like it. These are the good guys. Look at all the jobs they created. I am Ben Sweeney by the way. I am not related to the family.

What is the old saying.
    "There is one born every minute ...."

The more this saga runs the more I dispair that we are a nation doomed to repeat our mistakes as the percentage of idiots in this country appears quiet large.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

They're getting what they deserve. They had it all but they got greedy and they wanted even more so they borrowed millions. But they got ripped off, Sean Quinn, shrewd businessman my ass.

But that's by the by. Right not they're in trouble for trying to hide their money and ignoring court orders. They thought they'd get away with it because people like that never end up in prison. But their arrogance was their downfall.

The biggest clue to their guilt is the way the nephew skipped the country. He really has something to hide. All of them will end up in prison for this. Because it's pretty obvious they cynically attempted to put the money away.

So Ben Sweeney and others save your sympathy for those who are really suffering thanks to greedy sharks like the Quinns.

Proof that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

And the highest form of intelligence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Citizen2011

Let's not forget that Sean Quinn based his decision to invest 2bn in Anglo on the last set of audited accounts compiled by a useless shower of inept clowns Ernst & Young. These arse holes should be put out of business and it's a miracle how they're getting away with it.

bluecode wrote: »

The biggest clue to their guilt is the way the nephew skipped the country. He really has something to hide. All of them will end up in prison for this. Because it's pretty obvious they cynically attempted to put the money away.

So Ben Sweeney and others save your sympathy for those who are really suffering thanks to greedy sharks like the Quinns.

Skipped the country?? The guy lives in fermanagh, the arrest warrant is invalid there outside of ROI, so the court in dublin has to apply for a european arrest warrant.

Get your facts right please.

If you have such a problem with the above point have you been as vocal in condemning Brendan Drumm? He moved to the USA when the sh1t hit the fan ages ago.
    If you want people arrested start with him

• Advertisement

And the highest form of intelligence ;)

Be careful now, showing that kind of love towards Mikom may mean he'll check out your posting history to see if he can find you :D:D

Advertisement