Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A+E charges

Options
  • 20-07-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place but can't find a better place.

I'm back from my hols and picked up an injury while away and attended a French hospital and now have a cast on my limb. They advised me to attend my local A+E when I got home.

Question is, will I have to pay the A+E charge as I was referred by another(Foreign) hospital.

Thanks

Bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes, I cant see how you can negate the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Thanks for the reply,

The HSE sites states no A+E charge if referred by your GP, I was just wondering if I could stretch the referred part.

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You might have an arguable case if you have a referral letter from the French hospital. I suspect you don't.

I do, but its in French:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Bring it, and argue your case. Chances are that they will find somebody with some competence in French to read it (medics like to cover their backs, and would fear making a mistake in treatment through failing to understand a referral letter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You should have produced your EHIC card to the French hospital .

If you are not referred by your doctor there is a €100 charge .- However if it was me , I would go as instructed to my local A+E , which would be to my local Doctors office .

I would ask the doctor to refer me from there .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Why not phone your GP, tell him the story, and see does he think it's necessary for you to visit A&E?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

You will have to go to A&E to be refeered to the fracture clinic in your nearest regional hospital. You have a cast on now, that doesnt mean its the correct one for the entire healing process.
    As above, phone your Gp and they should refer you for a nominal fee.
    (unless he/she is a money grabbing so 'n so ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Misticles wrote: »

Ok, so which paper was extremely lazy and stole yet another story off of boards.ie this week?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »

Ok, so which paper was extremely lazy and stole yet another story off of boards.ie this week?

It's been done before?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's been done before?

Happens an awful lot, both national and local news papers do it all the time....

They normally take a thread on boards and either write a story about the issue discussed in a manner which leads you to believe "they" did all the leg work or they do it as a letter like you've posted.

Generally they do not in anyway credit boards.ie from what I've personally seen, which paper did you get that photo from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It's from that rag that has page 3 in it.

Cabaal wrote: »
    It's been done before?

Happens an awful lot, both national and local news papers do it all the time....

They normally take a thread on boards and either write a story about the issue discussed in a manner which leads you to believe "they" did all the leg work or they do it as a letter like you've posted.

Generally they do not in anyway credit boards.ie from what I've personally seen, which paper did you get that photo from?

I suppose it's to be expected when all threads can be viewed in a public domain without the need to join up.

It was indeed The Sun..
    I hope the op replies to say if he wrote into paper or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

The best part was how Bob the Dog turned into Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Hand the letter to the receptionist , tell them its a letter from your French doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hopefully the fact you arrive in a cast may make them realise you have been seen by a doctor and been referred:D

Although in this country nothing surprises me....

Sorry all, only seeing this now.

I definitely didn't write into any newspaper for advice especially the Sun, robbing baskets:)

My mother always claimed she'd see me in a newspaper someday!!!

Can't believe I even got my full title

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The best part was how Bob the Dog turned into Robert
    Nope, the best part was where they decided to steal a problem from boards for their shitty little advice column, BUT STILL COULDN'T ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION!

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement