Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your World

• 20-07-2012 10:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭

Do you feel safe in your world? Feel safe to go to the shops, cross the road, go into town, watch a movie?

The World is getting a more frightening place, and smaller, I think.

Physcos seem to be everywhere! Or is it the media / social network we live in thats making it smaller / more scary?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I generally feel safe in myself going about my daily business. I don't live in an area with a particularly high rate of crime and I generally keep my wits about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Pantsface wrote: »
    Physcos seem to be everywhere!

Especially the guys with pants on their face! :eek:

Scary, scary, they are the real psycho's!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

benwavner wrote: »
    Especially the guys with pants on their face! :eek:

Scary, scary, they are the real psycho's!

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I think that it is the mainstream media that make people afraid. Nothing but bad news on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the evilest bastard in that valley.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I live in Tallaght and despite the reputation i not only feel safe, i am safe. I have no problem wandering around night or day, and for that matter i feel perfectly safe going about my business in Dublin full stop.

No doubt there is crime out there, but thankfully i havent been on the recieving end of much of it.

I blame people / media blowing stuff out of proportion usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Pottler wrote: »
    Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the evilest bastard in that valley.:)

Is this the Dodder Valley ?

Pottler wrote: »

too right POTTLER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I wouldn't say i'm afraid because of what's going on in the world but a small bit of fear will increase alertness to what's around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Despite all the Fox/Sky news bollocks that tries to keep us frightened we're living in perhaps the safest time in the history of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I do thankfully. I am cautious though, I don't put my precious little self at risk and I live in a pretty good area.

Have worked in some junkie ridden parts of town though (Tara St, Abbey St, Parnell St) and I never enjoyed that much. I'd wouldn't go to work in a pair of shoes I couldn't run in let's say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Despite all the Fox/Sky news bollocks that tries to keep us frightened we're living in perhaps the safest time in the history of humanity.

Exactly, the media wants us to be afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

mattjack wrote: »
    Is this the Dodder Valley ?
    Yes, I am very Doddery.:D A new lad started working for me this week and apparently he asked my foreman if I always looked like an Axe murderer or was I just having a bad week:D Considering the rough cnuts I work with, that's saying somthing.

I do thankfully. I am cautious though, I don't put my precious little self at risk and I live in a pretty good area.

Have worked in some junkie ridden parts of town though (Tara St, Abbey St, Parnell St) and I never enjoyed that much. I'd wouldn't go to work in a pair of shoes I couldn't run in let's say.

Yeh, me too. What got me thinking was the Batman film murders today. They were all normal, like you and me, no drugs, no gang land, just kids going to watch a film. They probably thought their world was safe too

I think the world is getting worse to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I do thanks, you should visit it some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Yeh, me too. What got me thinking was the Batman film murders today. They were all normal, like you and me, no drugs, no gang land, just kids going to watch a film. They probably thought their world was safe too

If i was going to start a shoot-out in a public place it would be at a Justin Bieber concert, Just sayin

I do thanks, you should visit it some day.

Ask us round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Do you feel safe in your world? Feel safe to go to the shops, cross the road, go into town, watch a movie?

Physcos seem to be everywhere! Or is it the media / social network we live in thats making it smaller / more scary?

Yes, i feel very safe. But I don't pour over the tabloids and watch endless sky news.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ask us round.

just call uninvited, while it bothers a lot of humans on here I don't mind.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Yes, i feel very safe. But I don't pour over the tabloids and watch endless sky news.

ikky poo, are you a guardian reader?

Your user name would suggest otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

I feel safe in my day to day living. I take necessary precautions, like if i was out for a night out i would get a taxi rather than walk the dimly lit roads home on my own. When i was a teenager i used to hitch the 5 miles in and out of town all the time but i wouldn't do it now! I'm not sure if the world is a more frightening place or it is just the fact that with the internet and sky etc we are more aware of what is happening around us.

Quit scarin' me, I'm going on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

I think the problem stems from lack of social interaction.
    I mean, 20 years ago [even though I wasn't alive I've heard stories] people knew everyone around their park and the people in the shops and everything. Nowa days, people rarely know all their neighbours and social interactions with them are based off needs and not just the desire for interaction.

This creates a cold, ignorant society where people aren't aware of their surroundings. As a general rule of thumb, if you're not familiar with your surroundings you're going to be somewhat hesitant in proceeding to whatever the hell you're doing.

Point of the matter is, people today are dependant not on intermingling with their neighbours and society, but on social media and technology. This is my personal opinion. But we're all becoming hermits. To be honest I have a little bit of social anxiety in me but that's all my fault for allowing myself to become somewhat socialy awkward.

People would have no fear if they were completely familiar with everything around them; particular the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I'm happy to do all that crap, but no, I don't feel safe.
    Not because of media-sponsored panic, but because of regular verbal abuse from ignorant cunts on the street, in pubs/clubs, all over, everywhere.

I felt safer walking down relatively empty streets and dark alleyways in Paris at 4-5am, than I ever have walking around an inner-city in Ireland in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I have never been afraid of anything or anyone. What's the point? The majority of people manage to pass through life with nothing bad ever happening to them and if shit happens, shit happens - you deal with that when the time comes.

No point in worrying about stuff that might never happen.

I have never been afraid of anything or anyone. What's the point? The majority of people manage to pass through life with nothing bad ever happening to them and if shit happens, shit happens - you deal with that when the time comes.

No point in worrying about stuff that might never happen.

I don't understand, so what stuff should we worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I don't understand, so what stuff should we worry about.

Gay, bum loving Aliens!

benwavner wrote: »
    Gay, bum loving Aliens!

Ahh I see, so there really is nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Ahh I see, so there really is nothing to worry about.

Incorrect.

Instead of worrying about things that could happen. Spend your 'alloted worrying time' on topics of things that will or are already happening.

For example:
    - World poverty.
    - Global warming.
    - Wars.
    - Population control issues.
    - Natural resource issues.
    - Future wars.
    - Etc, etc.

• Advertisement

An0n wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Instead of worrying about things that could happen. Spend your 'alloted worrying time' on topics of things that will or are already happening.

For example:
    - World poverty.
    - Global warming.
    - Wars.
    - Future wars.
    - Etc, etc.

are things that could happen not things that will happen if they do happen.

An0n wrote: »
    Incorrect.

For example:
    - World poverty.
    - Global warming.
    - Wars.
    - Future wars.
    - Etc, etc.

*sweats*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

people worry to much. If something is going to happen it will happen. worring about it wont change that. If it isn't going to happen well then you would have been worrying for no reason.

When i say that people shouldn't worry i dont mean that we should ignore world problems. I just mean that activism and actully doing something about it is infintly better that worrying.

People who worry/fear/whatever you want to call it tend to buy/shop more (for things they generly dont need). I cant help but feel sometime that the media overplay many of there stories to keep us 'controled' if that is the right word. Keep us shoping. keep us surpressed.

Prehaps i am mad. What am i ranting on about now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ikky poo, are you a guardian reader?

Your user name would suggest otherwise

No, mainly BBC and RTE websites. Not sure where the name coems into it :confused: or what this has to do with the guardian, but I have a rational approach to what I read.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    No, mainly BBC and RTE websites. Not sure where the name coems into it :confused: or what this has to do with the guardian, but I have a rational approach to what I read.

Ikky Poo comes across as a tabloid reader name to me, Ikky

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

People who worry/fear/whatever you want to call it tend to buy/shop more (for things they generly dont need). I cant help but feel sometime that the media overplay many of there stories to keep us 'controled' if that is the right word. Keep us shoping. keep us surpressed.

Last year during the Christmas shopping period, there was someone on Henry St who was either threatening people with a knife or who had actually stabbed someone during the day. Lots of colleagues were talking about it (I used to work in a shop near there). This didn't appear at all in the media as far as I could find at the time. Keep shopping :D

I think Dublin has become a more threatening place at night. I am usually wary of scaremongering and that sort of thing, but the nightclub scene in particular is getting very scummy (as if it wasn't already). I was out a few weeks back and two guys were fighting and one was pushed into me and headbutted me right in the nose. It was bleeding and hurt for like a week afterwards. The bouncer didn't care. More people through the doors, and more money, is all they want. In Dublin's most well-known nightclubs, they must exceed the maximum number of people allowed in such small areas. If a fire or something did occur, it could be like Stardust all over again.

Isolation in society is a factor. But all these fights in the media/papers over public/private sectors, employed/unemployed separates people to an extent that they don't realise. Any sense of community is hard to find in bigger urban areas.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo comes across as a tabloid reader name to me, Ikky

I seeee...... reached that level have we?

Anyway, it just emphasises the point: you reading stuff and making massive incorrect assumptions about it is the source of your fears.

Have a read of a book called Freakonomics: it's basically about how we massively misinterpret and rationalise risk. Also, Bowling for Columbine, about how fear is used as a minipulative tool via the media to make people spend and consume more. Once you realise that that's the whole point, you tend to fear less.

If I am wrong, then the question remains: what is the source of your fears? What factors and sources do you take into account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Last year during the Christmas shopping period, there was someone on Henry St who was either threatening people with a knife or who had actually stabbed someone during the day. Lots of colleagues were talking about it (I used to work in a shop near there). This didn't appear at all in the media as far as I could find at the time. Keep shopping :D

Papers can't report everything all the time. Doubt s/he stabbed anyone, though, because that would have probably made the news.

I think Dublin has become a more threatening place at night. I am usually wary of scaremongering and that sort of thing, but the nightclub scene in particular is getting very scummy (as if it wasn't already). I was out a few weeks back and two guys were fighting and one was pushed into me and headbutted me right in the nose. It was bleeding and hurt for like a week afterwards. The bouncer didn't care. More people through the doors, and more money, is all they want. In Dublin's most well-known nightclubs, they must exceed the maximum number of people allowed in such small areas. If a fire or something did occur, it could be like Stardust all over again.

You really need to find a 'local' watering hole. Bouncing from one place to the next, looking for the craic, inevitably leads you to the doors of clubs, where most bother is. I'd follow up with a complaint to that club, if you really did eat a yozzer off some guy and the bouncer did nothing. But did nobody ever tell you to stay away from people fighting; proximity to a scrap can be as bad as being involved in one.
    Any sense of community is hard to find in bigger urban areas.

Rubbish; I live in a city with almost 25 million people and there's a wonderful sense of community here. Unless you just mean the bigger urban areas in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'm never afraid. I've lived in dodgy areas in a few countries and the area I'm in now would also be a bit dodge but no, there's nothing to be scared of. Even travelling around South America on my own I felt completely safe. All crime is blown completely out of proportion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

If you think about the probability of random attacks like that shooter in aurora in the us in that cinema then you probably woulnt go outside the door..

Driving is more dangerous than being a pedestrian,there could be someone driving the wrong way on a road,speeding overtaking you into oncoming traffic causing you to also get in a big collision,there are so many things that can go wrong.

I feel safer as a pedestrian and certainly not a driver,but it doesnt stop me driving either..

In fairness we dont live in a bad part of the world,there are no daily false accusations,beheadings and what not,civil wars and strife mass killings and that,so i think we are relatively safe,although i did hear where i live there were attacks burglaries and muggings recently,but you would want to keep it out of your mind somewhat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I feel safe just about everywhere. I've been all over Europe and never felt in any threat or had any troubles.

I've stopped reading the newspapers, they're all muck at this stage. Same with TV. I tried to buy a magazine for the first time in ages two weeks ago and saw the crap being sold in every petrol station. Celeb mags, rows and rows of celeb mags, not a focus in sight.

The media is trying to turn people into scared cattle. I think everyone should spend some time any from the media, I think it takes time away from them to appreciate just how conniving the media are with their scaremongering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

On the beach in Port Antonio Jamaica with a nice big spliff and a bottle of Ting. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I feel safe in my area. Often go out running at 1 or 2am.

Sometimes Im afraid or paranoid about things but I have a reason and generally can read whether or not im right to feel safe, doubt that makes much sense lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Yep I feel very safe, and I don't live in the nicest of areas (some lad had his arm hacked off with an axe on my street a few weeks ago, it never made the papers that I could see). I've never experienced any random violence towards me or even any verbal harassment. Despite being a rather small lady apparently I have 'an air of not tolerating fools gladly' so maybe that has something to do with it. I am cautious and aware of my surroundings when I'm out and about, especially on my own at night, but, touch wood, nothing bad has happened to me. And given that I spend 4-5 nights a week training full-contact fighting with fellas much bigger than me, I would like to see someone try anything. I also have a vicious sprint and great cardio, which would be my first weapons of choice, but if it came down to it, I'm not afraid of anyone.

Advertisement