Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you ever pay for a windows OS?

• 20-07-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

I'm not interested if you illegally downloaded it, got it from a mate or it came pre-installed. Just wondering if anyone bought the OS separately for a home PC and if so, why?

inb4 Linux.

Did you ever pay for a windows OS? 193 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    46% 89 votes
    Other OS/no home computer
    53% 104 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

No, it wouldn't work on my Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Ghandee wrote: »
    No, it wouldn't work on my Mac.

I was going to in4 mac and linux but thought that the odds of a mac user being online at this exact time on this exact forum was low...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I was going to in4 mac and linux but thought that the odds of a mac user being online at this exact time on this exact forum was low...

He's over in a friends using their pc so i think you got it right the first time:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

But a Linux user was far higher? This is the least-AH like thread I've seen in here in a long time, don't we have an Operating Systems section this would go better in?

• Advertisement

He's over in a friends using their pc so i think you got it right the first time:D

Not necessarily, the latest mac has internet!! Albeit it through safari...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Anyone got a spare copy of windows 95?

Feathers wrote: »
    But a Linux user was far higher? This is the least-AH like thread I've seen in here in a long time, don't we have an Operating Systems section this would go better in?

I avoided the computers section on purpose as the answers from that forum would be skewed. All of them would be able to download windows and many of them would have paid for it because their computer is used for work purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Unless you've stolen every Windows based computer you ever owned you've probably bought at least one copy of the OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Worked in a well known hotel in Galway that used Windows 3.1 for their reception system and that wasn't long ago

Why?

Because it works

No need to upgrade

I think AIB use a very old system and ATM's use something ancient called OS/2

I don't know what Ulster Bank use :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yeah, it came on my laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Swap ya for AMSDOS if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Worked in a well known hotel in Galway that used Windows 3.1 for their reception system and that wasn't long ago

Why?

Because it works

No need to upgrade

That I can understand.

But we had a thread in Comp&Tech a couple months ago about a guy who was trying to get online with a Windows 95 machine that was being used to administrate a power plant. A ****ing power plant. Cyberterrorist wet dream :o

Granted if you store customer data on there I wouldnt connect it online. Good way to get it stolen or wiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

i always used linux but when my laptop died and i went to the shop to buy a new one the fúckers wouldnt let me buy a computer without windows theyre a bunch of cowboys joe

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nomonlyadics

Yeah, WinXP Pro I think it was on Amazon lol, I made the computer so I had to buy the OS separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I avoided the computers section on purpose as the answers from that forum would be skewed. All of them would be able to download windows and many of them would have paid for it because their computer is used for work purposes.

Well if you discount the likes of people who are going to be building machines from scratch, I doubt you'll find (m)any people who've bought the OS separately.

The only reasons I can think of would be for an upgrade, like Win98 -> 2000, & I'd say the people who even do that much are a tiny minority — most people just buy a new computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Always used the OS that came with every pc I bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Unless you've stolen every Windows based computer you ever owned you've probably bought at least one copy of the OS.

Not if you know how to build a PC :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Always bought Dells, so paid for Windows that way.

Built first PC last year so bought a separate copy for the first time.

Ended up really liking Windows 7.

Used the disc to install it on all the other PC's and laptops in the house.

Will get around to paying for it in a year or two when I have the spare cash or MS lock a particular activation loophole. Whichever comes first. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Where To wrote: »
    Swap ya for AMSDOS if you have it.

Ah i'm not that old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

Just after building my first computer and I decided to install windows 7. Sure it has its faults that everyone loves to point out but its still a good OS.

Besides I use a dual-boot with windows and linux so best of both worlds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I've never gone out and bought a copy of it but I suppose I've paid for it several times when I've purchased new computers over the years. These days I'm all about Ubuntu though.

Not exactly the same thing because of ther licence terms. Also you often pay the same amount without or without the OS.

Did people buy it just because of their conscience telling them to or because they didn't know how to get it for free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Anybody who'd pay for Windows 8 would need their brains examined, it is such a heap of crap that it will in all likelihood make Vista look good. Windows 7 works well for me and I have it because I paid €16 to upgrade to Win7 as the PC came with Vista pre-installed before Win7 launched and I just had to pay to transfer the Vista licence into Seven and the postage for the disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm no computer expert but I'm going to go right ahead and act like one by saying wouldn't it have been better if you'd asked the question 'have you ever bought a computer without windows or apple operating systems pre-loaded'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

omg windows the most annoying difficult fvcking annoying slow poorly developed os ever ? how many versions of 7 are there what are they all for why the fvck do you need 10 different versions of the same os ?

does it have a perpose

I'm no computer expert but I'm going to go right ahead and act like one by saying wouldn't it have been better if you'd asked the question 'have you ever bought a computer without windows or apple operating systems pre-loaded'?

There are 3 main ways to get windows:
    Get it free illegally.
    Get it included in a package.
    Walk into a shop and hand over actual cash for the OS.

I was looking to find people in the third category and I'm surprised by their number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

That wouldn't include those who bought windows in order to upgrade.

I've only bought Windows through a laptop myself, never separately.

I would download any pirate software, but not the OS; just too risky for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

There are 3 main ways to get windows:
    Get it free illegally.
    Get it included in a package.
    Walk into a shop and hand over actual cash for the OS.

I was looking to find people in the third category and I'm surprised by their number!

Sorry I voted I bought it but never actually did option three, it came with the package when I got a new laptop. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ran a cracked XP on various laptops for afew years. When I built my last system I bought Win 7 to ****. Couldnt be bothered with the little niggles that a pirated copy would bring. (I assume lack of windows updates for one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Overheal wrote: »
    That I can understand.

But we had a thread in Comp&Tech a couple months ago about a guy who was trying to get online with a Windows 95 machine that was being used to administrate a power plant. A ****ing power plant. Cyberterrorist wet dream :o

Granted if you store customer data on there I wouldnt connect it online. Good way to get it stolen or wiped.

There's no way that was real... was it?

I installed Windows 95 on a virtual machine a few months ago for nostalgia's sake. Ah to hear the old startup sound again... t'was bliss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Given the keen pricing, Win8 should attract a fair few folks via upgrade route.
    We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets.
    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

That wouldn't include those who bought windows in order to upgrade.

I've only bought Windows through a laptop myself, never separately.

I would download any pirate software, but not the OS; just too risky for me!

PLease Note. I am running a fully up to date (ie. security patched etc) Win 7 OS that is not a cracked pirated copy. Its a fully legit copy of windows as far as Windows update is concerned. I just take advantage of an activation loophole that lets you keep resetting the 30 day activation grace period. One of these days when I have the spare cash I'll buy some licence keys from microsoft, let the activation period run out and input the legit keys when windows asks me to.

I've never downloaded cracked software. Even when it was fashionable I never bashed Microsoft. Ironic that it turned out to be Jobs that was the cheap labour exploiting evil genius and Bill gates is the biggest Philanthropist the world has ever seen. I will be paying for Windows 7 but its very handy that because of this Loophole I can use now and pay later when I have the funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I've got a 12k a year MSDN account. Does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I've got workbench on my commodore amiga.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe. And 95 OSR2, 98,98SE
    mikemac1 wrote: »

Why?

Because it works

No need to upgrade

I think I saw a BoI ATM that had crashed running Win2K

I have never bought a new PC or a Windows disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yep, I legitimately bought my copy of Windows 7 64bit when I was building my pc. Although Ill never do it again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Overheal wrote: »
    That I can understand.

It's far more secure to use legacy systems, they've been around longer with their vulnerabilities long established and shielded against. The real risk is modern systems with unfound exploits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nope, was either pre-installed or I got it legally for free off MSDN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

ewww,no-actualy choose to buy windows? no chance.

all of mine are legal but were forced via pre install,wish they woud give a choice of OS, especialy one from the open source market;itd save them money as well.
    windows doesnt stay very long on any new ones of mine,its a case of-boot brand spanking new laptop to check out newest windows/feel disgusted for various techy reasons/format and stick something decent on...then if ever bored of it,format and try another,cant be bothered with dual/triple/quad booting anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

It cost me a fortune for Double Glazing, so I'm not paying for Windows again!

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Amazing how an internet thread draws forth confessions. Now, where are those ip logs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

櫃面你們不知道。在互聯網上的一切是免費的。

Only sense made yet

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

我喜欢炒饭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Yes paid for full boxed, retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. Easily second best software I've ever bought (only Reaper wins out on value for money). I have no problem paying for software that's worth it, does what I want when I want with the minimum of fuss. Which is why I'd never pay for a Linux distro or OSX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Vista finally gave up for me a few months back, Linux all the way, why pay for something you can get free, unless you really need it? Tried Ubuntu, on Linux Mint now. Suits me fine and it should suit the vast majority of personal users grand

My sister bought her first laptop a year ago with Windows 7, I set up the anti virus and all that basic stuff. Should have just installed Linux, would have been far simpler.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Agricola wrote: »
    Couldnt be bothered with the little niggles that a pirated copy would bring. (I assume lack of windows updates for one)

You assume wrong, Vista or Windows 7 can be cracked in two minutes with an OEM manufacturers licence key & certificate, after that the OS doesn't know it's not genuine so you can download all the updates you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Yes and 98, ME plus NT

up until a couple of years ago had some of them big floppies

• Advertisement
Advertisement