Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung SMART TV Apps

• 20-07-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I thought it would be useful to have a single thread where people give reviews of the Samsung SMART TV Apps they have downloaded, and let everybody know whether they were useful or not. I can then edit this first post and link to them, so that you can get an overview from the first post.

Join in if you think this is useful.

1. RTE Player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭CarPark2

This has just recently become available. I think that it is great - it is probably the main one that i had in mind when i bought the television. In contrast to the netflix app, it works on the more basis models (mine is a D5520). It is easy to navigate with a television remote control, and has a reasonably good back catalogue (seems to go back about three weeks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭p15574

On a Samsung D5520 I have the RTE Player app, but I've never used it. My main use would probably be Netflix - except it doesn't work on this model. Basically I have not found a single use for the 'smart' aspect of this tv.

p15574 wrote: »
    On a Samsung D5520 I have the RTE Player app, but I've never used it. My main use would probably be Netflix - except it doesn't work on this model. Basically I have not found a single use for the 'smart' aspect of this tv.

I feel your pain! The only app that i use is the RTE player, which as i said above, i think is really useful. Most of the rest are rubbish, especially ones like facebook, which is pointless unless you have a remote control with a text option.

This is the reason for the thread, just on the offchance that somebody has found some useful apps.

The other main use i have found for the 'SMART' functionality is that the TV can play videos directly from a hard drive. I find this very useful.

It can also link to my laptop hard drive and show photos etc. from the hard drive...... although that is a bit slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

p15574 wrote: »
    +1 pretty much useless on a ue46c6540 (2011 model) even the rte player app wont download on to it, youtube and vimeo take an age to download and stop every few seconds (even though they work perfectly on a laptop) good job my laptop has hdmi if i want to i just stream through that.

(good job the telly was half price it would have gone back if i had paid full price)

did just get a samsung hd freesat recorder and that makes a 46" tv worthwhile :D

+1 pretty much useless on a ue46c6540 (2011 model) even the rte player app wont download on to it, youtube and vimeo take an age to download and stop every few seconds (even though they work perfectly on a laptop) good job my laptop has hdmi if i want to i just stream through that.

(good job the telly was half price it would have gone back if i had paid full price)

did just get a samsung hd freesat recorder and that makes a 46" tv worthwhile :D

The RTE player should definitely work on a 6-series set. I would suggest deleting it and trying to download again. The youtube app is $h1te.

• Advertisement

CarPark2 wrote: »
    The RTE player should definitely work on a 6-series set. I would suggest deleting it and trying to download again. The youtube app is $h1te.

deleting what ? it doesnt appear in the apps list to install ! (i feel a firmware upgrade coming on :D )

deleting what ? it doesnt appear in the apps list to install ! (i feel a firmware upgrade coming on :D )

That is strange. It should definitely appear in the apps list. It might be no harm to check for firmware update, but i don't think that i have done that for mine in months, and it still turned up on my list. As the 5520 is a lower spec model than yours, i would definitely have expected it to show up for the 6-series.

The RTE player is a pretty decent app, and given how little use the "SMART" functions are, you may as well have that at least!!

went from 3011 to 3015 in firmware ( made no difference !)

must only work on newer models

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 fressatty

Although these TV's can be buggy as feck, when they work they're pretty cool.

The best app and best media server for your videos is called PLEX and this is available through the samsung apps.

Download PLEX media server onto your laptop or PC and install the PLEX app from samsung apps and you have probably one of the (if not THE) best media center apps to compliment this TV -this will play ANYTHING, in glorious HD too and with minimal buffering!

Secondly, and i'm no fan boy, but if you want more of a 'smart' experience with this TV then get yourself a samsung galaxy or android phone because using your phone as a keyboard for the TV takes out a lot of frustrations. But the main selling point is using your phone to control things on the tv that the supplied remote is crap at.

From android marketplace, Download the 'Smart View app' (allows you to schedule recordings on the tv from your phone amongst other things) the main reason for smart view is that it will stream live TV to your android phone or tablet across your wifi network!

Also you can download the samsung Remote app which is pretty useful too if you dont like the slow remote supplied with the TV.

Some of you say the You tube player is crap, well its not if you compliment it with the 'YouTube remote' android app -you use your android device to browse and select videos and then the TV plays them!

And then theres AllShare -again, this is at it's best when complimented with an android device with AllShare installed. The fact that you can instantly stream content from your android device to your TV over wifi is great, especially for looking at home movies or photos from your android device.

thats my bit....

now, what do people think of the freesat tuner on this TV? anyone had any issues with the Freesat functionality? i.e. the scheduling and recording of programmes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Do Samsung still have the "Stay Healthy Grandma" app and the "Check your diabetes" app? I'm looking for a Smart TV for my diabetic grandma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 BMoon

Does anyone know... Is it possible to get BBC iplayer in Ireland on Samsung Smart TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

fressatty wrote: »
    Although these TV's can be buggy as feck, when they work they're pretty cool.

The best app and best media server for your videos is called PLEX and this is available through the samsung apps.

Download PLEX media server onto your laptop or PC and install the PLEX app from samsung apps and you have probably one of the (if not THE) best media center apps to compliment this TV -this will play ANYTHING, in glorious HD too and with minimal buffering!

Secondly, and i'm no fan boy, but if you want more of a 'smart' experience with this TV then get yourself a samsung galaxy or android phone because using your phone as a keyboard for the TV takes out a lot of frustrations. But the main selling point is using your phone to control things on the tv that the supplied remote is crap at.

From android marketplace, Download the 'Smart View app' (allows you to schedule recordings on the tv from your phone amongst other things) the main reason for smart view is that it will stream live TV to your android phone or tablet across your wifi network!

Also you can download the samsung Remote app which is pretty useful too if you dont like the slow remote supplied with the TV.

Some of you say the You tube player is crap, well its not if you compliment it with the 'YouTube remote' android app -you use your android device to browse and select videos and then the TV plays them!

And then theres AllShare -again, this is at it's best when complimented with an android device with AllShare installed. The fact that you can instantly stream content from your android device to your TV over wifi is great, especially for looking at home movies or photos from your android device.

That sounds interesting......I'm about to upgrade my BD player, I assume the same apps are good for that?
    I'd like RTE player on the TV in the living room, so that's why I'm going for Samsung, don't think other brands have it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Beagslife

I'm not sure if anyone can help with this. I have a UE40SE5500 with the RTE Player app installed. I get the full menu and can even watch the live news feed.

However, when I try to watch any program, it connects as if about to play. It then shows a black screen with the RTE logo in the corner. As it starts to buffer it give a short, buffer full, or suchlike message.

Has anyone had this experience? Other app video streams work fine. It just seems to affect the RTE Player app. Is this behavior common on any other versions of the RTE Player?

Thanks for any input.

Advertisement