Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Player

Options
  • 20-07-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey all , Im new to SF and fighting games in general. Im hoping to get better and become active in the FGC and attend casuals and what not. Im a mega noob at the moment though, Ive only been playing a week so im sure you can imagine how bad i am. Im basically looking for some people to play with and train me:D

Feel free to add me on XBL my gamertag is xII ToXsicK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Welcome!

Best training would be at offline casuals.

Do you by any chance live in Dublin?

EDIT: Also you can add your name to this document, and find all our Xbox tags here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056452989

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tox_

Hey thanks, Yup im from Dublin so getting into town wouldn't be a problem.

I hope the community is friendly because if i went to causals they could possibly see the worst player ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

dont worry bro, best community ever, i was like u one day too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Tox_ wrote: »
    Hey thanks, Yup im from Dublin so getting into town wouldn't be a problem.

I hope the community is friendly because if i went to causals they could possibly see the worst player ever.

Nah don't worry, Ladnopoka attends the odd time so you would be the 2nd worst technially:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Don't worry about that, casuals is all about playing games, havin fun and getting to meet people who share a common interest. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Tox_

Cool sounds good. I think i will go to casuals sooner than i was thinking :D Thanks for the feedback !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

What are the most popular games in casual's at the mo lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

It's being quite ambiguous lately

People were playing SFXT and Tekken casuals before last

Usually its AE, UMVC3 or KOF which are the most played usually

Tournaments are the only things for which games are decided in advance.

Casuals is just:
    • How many/what people show up
    • What discs/dlc they bring
    • What they're in the mood to play

Last casuals I was at we had an entire group of non-Marvel players playing Marvel 3 just because there wasn't any other discs :pac:

Hey all , Im new to SF and fighting games in general. Im hoping to get better and become active in the FGC and attend casuals and what not.

You should come along to casuals now, don't wait. It's friendly and very helpful if you want to learn seriously. I'm learning SSFIVAE at the moment, and it's helping a lot and is good fun, and a way better way to practice than on PSN or XBL.

If you're worried about not cutting it skills-wise yet, don't be put off. Most players, even the very good ones, are happy to show newer people the ropes and take it easy on them. Besides, you can always play against me if I'm around. That's guaranteed to make you feel a lot better about how good you are. :D

Few games tomorrow afternoon anyone? I'll be bringing AE and ST.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The best way at getting better at the game is playing the game lots and that means playing a lot online. Casual's is fun and I recommend going but its not the way to level up.

Watching video's of high level players is also pretty helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

playing online is helpful for beginners, if you're playing to learn not to win. Observe each characters tendencies as well as working on your own game eg. hit confirms or anti airs. After you have a decent understanding of the game, when you do come to casuals it's easier to understand what people explain to you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I dunno, I think I picked up loads of bad habits online I'm learning myself out of to this day. I think a bit of both is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 philemon

You should come along to casuals now, don't wait. It's friendly and very helpful if you want to learn seriously. I'm learning SSFIVAE at the moment, and it's helping a lot and is good fun, and a way better way to practice than on PSN or XBL.

If you're worried about not cutting it skills-wise yet, don't be put off. Most players, even the very good ones, are happy to show newer people the ropes and take it easy on them. Besides, you can always play against me if I'm around. That's guaranteed to make you feel a lot better about how good you are. :D

Um this might sound silly but what's the minimum you guys expect and how godly is your patience?
    I got myself a Hori ex stick ages ago, but lost the breakaway cable bit shortly after in a move, and due to "various circumstances" I never bothered to get a replacement. Now I've a new one on the way, along with an AE copy, but no clue as how to start out in an organized way.

Could anyone recommend a site or a youtube channel with a bunch of links/tutorials on how to play the game/characters and its/their philosophy of use ?

I dunno, I think I picked up loads of bad habits online I'm learning myself out of to this day. I think a bit of both is the way to go.

I think a lot of people are too quick to blame online tactics when they have simply been outplayed, its a crutch people fall back on too quick. You can loose to dumb stuff offline too and just as equally pick up bad habits.

As I have said before, due to the large amount of players you find online, there is a wide variety of skill levels and like any game the vast amount of players are going be on the lower range of the skill level. Finding good players, and playing them repeatedly is the best way of getting good. Obviously pro's aren't going to want to play newcomers so you will need to level up a fair bit before playing them, so play people around or just above your skill level and when you start doing well against them try finding players abit above them and move up increments.

Pretty much all the top players in the community played alot of matches online (Bush, Hound, Stev0, Cobelcog, Ladno, Myself), I think we probably played the most online of any community members and I don't think its a coincidence.

Casuals is once a week, that's not anywhere near often enough to get good at a game. Its still good fun to go to and you can learn quite abit there (but you can be given bad advice by well meaning players as well) but I'd be the opposite of Jun and reckon its more of a resource for beginners.

philemon wrote: »
    Um this might sound silly but what's the minimum you guys expect and how godly is your patience?
    I got myself a Hori ex stick ages ago, but lost the breakaway cable bit shortly after in a move, and due to "various circumstances" I never bothered to get a replacement. Now I've a new one on the way, along with an AE copy, but no clue as how to start out in an organized way.

Could anyone recommend a site or a youtube channel with a bunch of links/tutorials on how to play the game/characters and its/their philosophy of use ?

I deffo agree with learning in an organised way. I'm not sure I can think of any good links offhand, but watch this space and I'll pm you if I come across anything.

Regarding expected level of skill? I think it was Chunkis who said
    "Here! If you know how to do a fireball, you're fair game!" :pac:

I think Chunkis would say "Ah Here!"

You see some community members will give you wrong info! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Azza wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are too quick to blame online tactics when they have simply been outplayed, its a crutch people fall back on too quick. You can loose to dumb stuff offline too and just as equally pick up bad habits.

As I have said before, due to the large amount of players you find online, there is a wide variety of skill levels and like any game the vast amount of players are going be on the lower range of the skill level. Finding good players, and playing them repeatedly is the best way of getting good. Obviously pro's aren't going to want to play newcomers so you will need to level up a fair bit before playing them, so play people around or just above your skill level and when you start doing well against them try finding players abit above them and move up increments.

Pretty much all the top players in the community played alot of matches online (Bush, Hound, Stev0, Cobelcog, Ladno, Myself), I think we probably played the most online of any community members and I don't think its a coincidence.

Casuals is once a week, that's not anywhere near often enough to get good at a game. Its still good fun to go to and you can learn quite abit there (but you can be given bad advice by well meaning players as well) but I'd be the opposite of Jun and reckon its more of a resource for beginners.

*coughs* >_>

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »

Yeah but at the end of the day if I paste someone's head in in person (or have my head pasted in) a person sitting beside you will usually help you out a little. Only 1 or 2 people I've met online has ever done that for me. Which is why I got better when I played offline more. I'm not invalidating the worth of playing good people online :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Fergus_ wrote: »
    *coughs* >_>

Ye disproves azzas point. Fergus played a lot online and hes terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

I learned how to play online, but i didnt learn what my weaknesses were till i started playing offline, it's too easy to rationalise online losses, you need to be sitting beside the person while they completely embarrass you to understand how to really improve.

Thanks for that Azza, Grand Finals of my second inferno, worst SF expierience of my life.

Advertisement