Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen iPhone

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kracken wrote: »
    Point 1:
    So you think that sarcasm is an adequate response to a crime? I assume by your defence that you do think is ok, which I am very disappointed with.
    Someone was the victim of a crime and that is how you treat them, and the point was, you as a moderator you should respect someone's situation and not belittle them, you should have encourage fair, just and equally moderate debate. Not make sarcastic comments about someones misfortune...

My post was still accurate, in short the Gardai have better things to be doing then performing a house to house search for a phone somebody left on a bus which was later taken.

Given the amount of phones that are lost or stolen on a daily basis in this country it would waste an awful lot of gardai time.
    It has everything to do with this forum, you as a moderator represent the morals, ideals and persona of boards.ie, therefore regardless of what forum you post in, if you a moderate you should have a bit of common sense about how it looks for a moderator to public belittle someone in a threat where someone was the vicitim of crime.

First off, I didn't belittle the OP, I simply responded to lassykk not the OP regarding what lassykk thought should have been done by the Gardai.

Second off, regardless of what you may think or believe I am the same as you on this forum....just another poster and not a mod of this forum.

Now stop posting nonsense about me being a mod as it makes no difference in relation to this thread.
    Point 2:
    <SNIPPPP>

Regardless, of funding or resources, every person in this country is entittled to equal rights, so therefore, I think you owe Lassykk an apology.

I never said nobody's entitled to equal rights so stop posting such nonsense, i simply stated that the Gardai are going to assign resources to what they see is more important. Performing a house to house search or stop and searchs for a phone is a massive waste of Gardai time even if they could do it (no warrant so can't search somebody's house)

Just because you don't like a response doesn't mean you can demand an apology for other posters,

I suggest that you learn how a internet forum works and whatever you do please don't visit the after hours forum on boards.ie as you may get very very upset with some of the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Cabaal wrote: »
    My post was still accurate, in short the Gardai have better things to be doing then performing a house to house search for a phone somebody left on a bus which was later taken.

Given the amount of phones that are lost or stolen on a daily basis in this country it would waste an awful lot of gardai time.

First off, I didn't belittle the OP, I simply responded to lassykk not the OP regarding what lassykk thought should have been done by the Gardai.

Second off, regardless of what you may think or believe I am the same as you on this forum....just another poster and not a mod of this forum.

Now stop posting nonsense about me being a mod as it makes no difference in relation to this thread.

I never said nobody's entitled to equal rights so stop posting such nonsense, i simply stated that the Gardai are going to assign resources to what they see is more important. Performing a house to house search or stop and searchs for a phone is a massive waste of Gardai time even if they could do it (no warrant so can't search somebody's house)

Just because you don't like a response doesn't mean you can demand an apology for other posters,

I suggest that you learn how a internet forum works and whatever you do please don't visit the after hours forum on boards.ie as you may get very very upset with some of the posts.

"My post was still accurate, in short the Gardai have better things to be doing then performing a house to house search for a phone somebody left on a bus which was later taken.

Given the amount of phones that are lost or stolen on a daily basis in this country it would waste an awful lot of gardai time."

A crime is still a crime, regardless of the nature of its circumstances, the fact is still a victim of a crime, which you seem to have missed the point...

I never said you did, you jumped to that conclusion, I simply point out that sarcasm to a person, who was support a victim of crime is uncalled for....

You still have a Moderator title under your name, which still is a display of your status on the boards, as such you are still a representative of boards.ie regardless of authority on the particular forum.

Nonsense? As a moderators you should not be using inapproptriate conduct, through the form of Sarcasm. "Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter jibe or taunt"

Regardless, of being "off-duty" in another forum you are still a representative of boards.ie, if you want to be a normal poster who can be sarcastic then, logout and signup with a different non-moderator account where you are just another poster like the rest of us.

You didn't say, you implied it, which in itself is still a non-verbal communication, it's called "Subtext"...

Its nothing to do with the response its the conduct by which you applied your response, i have issue with.

I have no issue in what people say or do, i do have issue with inappropriate conduct, as in my right and as to imply that i would get upset is itself insulting....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kracken, I'm saddened that you don't know how boards.ie works and internet forums work in general, I suggest you do some reading (for example you may not always like what people post but you can't just make demands from these users either)

I'm not wasting my time explaining that I am a user on this forum and you are 100% wrong to keep on ranting on about me being a mod, it seems that you just can't get this fact into that brain of yours so its clear I'm wasting my time.

You can dislike it all you like and rant about it in feedback if that makes you feel better but at this stage you are just going more and more off topic and imho your rant isn't in anyway relevant to the Waterford forum and instead relates to boards.ie policies in general.

In relation to the other stuff, I've said what I've said and its only right that Gardai prioritize resources sure this sucks for the op but thats life. You may not like how i said it but again thats also life, if thats the worse thing you encounter in your life then you lived a sheltered life.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Be that as it may, your conduct regardless of your justification of it being the "Internet" and learn how it works, was still inappropriate.

Just because it may work that way doesn't mean that you have to be that way, its simply an excuse for malice and nasty behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Any news on the phone AdMMM?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    While I certainly don't agree with Cabaal in relation to the topic, he is correct about his kod status from other forums having no bearing here. Mods, once outside of the forums they moderate, are to be treated as ordinary posters.

As above. nkay is fully correct.

General Notice (not aimed at nkay!): If you have a problem with a post or a poster, report it and wait for it to be dealt with. I suggest you put the person you dislike on ignore if you cant resist the urge to have a public dispute with him/her online!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

angry_fox wrote: »
    Any news on the phone AdMMM?

This thread is about a phone :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Jason Todd wrote: »
    There was a story on the Ray D'Arcy Show a while back about a girl who had just landed in Spain, stopped in her rental car to run into a cafe for a quick bite and when she came back out her bag including iPad had been taken from the car. I'm sketchy on all the details, but long story short she used the tracker in the iPad to locate the stuff in a hostel just on the edge of town. Went to the nearest barracks, a cop or two accompanied her back to the hostel, she activated the alarm on the iPad and they were able to pinpoint the exact room. Then they hid just down the hall and waited for the little scumbag to come back and when he entered the room they busted him for handling/possessing stolen property and they found ****loads of other peoples stuff that had been robbed too. Just goes to show. The fact that the Guards here don't see tracking stolen property as a possible lead to solving other thefts etc is a little disheartening.

Yeah your a little sketchy alright on this, i heard it too and the cops in Spain were also very reluctant to help her out in the first place so she had to do alot of investigation work herself, and until she came back with an exact address and a few other bits that i am also sketchy on, but it wasnt that straight forward, I have family in spain and i relaid this story to them and they were saying how where they are its a very high crime area and the cops are a bit lax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I was on holidays in Dingle for the week, so I'm only back now. If I wasn't away on holidays then I would have been able to put some more time into finding this but I just settled on having it wiped and getting the IMEI blacklisted. I was entitled to an upgrade anyway so I have a new 4S on it's way to me.

Leaving my phone down was obviously my mistake but I can't count the amount of times I've seen someone drop their phone or money on a bus and I pick it up and hand it back to them. It's annoying that some people's reaction isn't to give the phone back but instead to put it in their pocket and say nothing. But then that's how the world works I suppose.

It's also mildly frustrating that even with the great technology that smartphones have nowadays to help locate and track them to within 10 metres in case of loss, Gardai don't have any resources to use them and seem quite happy to just take a statement and leave it as a matter between you and an insurance company rather than a criminal matter and attempt to recover stolen property.

Sully wrote: »
    It wasn't exactly stolen. He misplaced it. Someone found it, took it. He tracked it down but wont go in and ask for it back.

The Guards probably see this happen every day. Its a lot of work - they cant enter the property without a warrant and to get a warrant they need to go to the courts. Then they need to find the individual with the phone, prove that its not his and so on. Its a lot of work, and I suspect they just think that their time was better spent elsewhere.

I think it's pretty safe to say it was stolen rather than misplaced. I was packing up my stuff in the shelves above and left phone down beside me. I then get off the bus, check for my phone in my pocket (because I assume I put it in there if it wasn't beside me) and then realise it's gone. Within 15 seconds I'm back on the bus and looking for it. If you buy a pint in a pub and leave it down beside you and someone takes it, have you misplaced it or has it been stolen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think it's pretty safe to say it was stolen rather than misplaced. I was packing up my stuff in the shelves above and left phone down beside me. I then get off the bus, check for my phone in my pocket (because I assume I put it in there if it wasn't beside me) and then realise it's gone. Within 15 seconds I'm back on the bus and looking for it. If you buy a pint in a pub and leave it down beside you and someone takes it, have you misplaced it or has it been stolen?

Someone was robbing my pints a few years ago so I brought a half empty glass tot he jacks and filled it up with piss. Ha was hilarious seen the face on the bitch with piss in her mouth.
    Maybe you should piss on your phone the next time you leave it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Shirley the iphone has moved off the school by now. You could tipp off the teachers and send an alarm sound to the phone at an exact time so it'll go off in class.

Don't bring Shirley into this,she has nothing to do with it
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Did you not sit beside someone on the bus? How do you have no idea who it was ? If you just went to front of bus and straight back the person was obviously still there.

Part of this story is missing or else 15 seconds is an exaggeration.

I was sitting alone on the bus, as it wasn't that busy and I was towards the back. The person who took it was one of the people who got off the bus while I was packing my things. There were 5 people behind me on the bus, 3 got off at that stop and I was using the phone right up until the bus stopped. The remaining two people were getting off at Superquinn but I had already tracked the phone to its location by time the bus would have got to Superquinn. I have a very good idea of what they look like but they had no distinguishing features that wouldn't make me sound racist.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry dude, I missed that part despite it being part of the original post. As above though - if it was 15secs you either knew the person was on the bus, or within the vicinity of the bus. Plus, I assume, you had an idea who

I was sitting alone on the bus, as it wasn't that busy and I was towards the back. The person who took it was one of the people who got off the bus while I was packing my things. There were 5 people behind me on the bus, 3 got off at that stop and I was using the phone right up until the bus stopped. The remaining two people were getting off at Superquinn but I had already tracked the phone to its location by time the bus would have got to Superquinn. I have a very good idea of what they look like but they had no distinguishing features that wouldn't make me sound racist.

Ah right. So black fellas stole it. If someone stole 500 quid off me if have no problem in the calling them black.

Hardly racist to say it was a black person who stole it.

If you said blacks steal more that would be racist. Hopefully the phone moves and you track it walking through town with a familiar black face one day.

Media999 wrote: »

Ah right. So black fellas stole it. If someone stole 500 quid off me if have no problem in the calling them black.

If you said blacks steal more that would be racist. Hopefully the phone moves and you track it walking through town with a familiar black face one day.

Also let us know what stop they got off and what bus you were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Media999 wrote: »

Priceless

Can't beat a bit of racism on a Tuesday afternoon

I smell a banning!!!

Advertisement