Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Fishing

Options
  • 21-07-2012 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone had some sea fishing tips?
    I ask because I'm new to it and recently spent a week in Tramore fishing and didn't catch a single fish :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

noelpat wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I ask because I'm new to it and recently spent a week in Tramore fishing and didn't catch a single fish :o

What were you trying to catch, what methods were you using and where were you fishing from?
    It might give people a better idea of what you're after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

two short trips in cork this last week. both with lures. pollack to about 4.5 lbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FatMickey

noelpat wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hi Noel

I have spent many years sea fishing and can tell you what to use and where to use it for most of the species around the coast,

Around the time of your post most of the west coast had a thing called "red sea" which killed off the fishing for most of us for a couple of months.. I don't know if this was in the area you were fishing... if it was then you shouldn't be feeling too bad cause it killed it for us all,

if you are still interested let me know,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm retiring at Christmas and want to get back to fishing. Could I go after anything from shore with spinning in January or February? I'm around Dundalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FatMickey

I'm retiring at Christmas and want to get back to fishing. Could I go after anything from shore with spinning in January or February? I'm around Dundalk

Hi Ryann Skinny Mortal

Even though I have never been tempted to travel up that part of the coast I have heard of some great fishing to be had from Carlingford Lough but again the time of year that you want to start fishing is probably the slackest time for the number of species that will be around to take your bait,

Your best chance of catching bass on spinning gear would be to head down to the Waterford area… having said that I would always bring along a beach rod and fresh or frozen bait to save a blank,

In the link below there is a number for the Dundalk sea angling club, if I were you I would either join it for a time to get to know a few of the lads… other than that I would just phone the number and ask about the fishing in your area,

Spinning for Bass is really taking hold around the SE S and west coasts but from what I see the bass seem to thin out the further up the coast you go from Wexford,

A lot of folk starting out give up after a couple of blank fishing sessions this is why I would strongly advise anyone to join a club local to the area that they want to fish,

Should cost around €30 a year and most clubs have little friendly competitions once or twice a month which will not only give you something to look forward to but will also show you new marks to fish and tactics to use,

I wish you the best of luck in your retirement and the fishing.

http://www.fishinginireland.info/sea/east/dundalk/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Fishing regularly in Kenmare bay for last 6 years in a boat but the last two have been a disaster mackerel wise , some ok pollock but not much else . Anyone have the same problem? Tried different jigs .

Advertisement