Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serbia squad- no Stephen Hunt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Anyone have any idea why he was not picked? No mention of why in any article I read, and he was meant to have been particularly angry with his lack of game time in Poland.

Squad

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0721/1224320529742.html
    “I think so, yes. I said after Poland ‘I don’t wish you for this game (Serbia) because I wish to try the other options’. They said ‘yes Mister, no problem’. They know they can stay,” Trapattoni said yesterday at his squad announcement in Ballybofey.

thats why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Anyone have any idea why he was not picked? No mention of why in any article I read, and he was meant to have been particularly angry with his lack of game time in Poland.

Squad

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0721/1224320529742.html

But they do mention him in the article :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

event wrote: »
    thats why

That quote was in relation to Given, Dunne, Keane and Duff, all much older players. Hunt is not an old timer like these lads and has been picked for every other squad in recent years. Why, for example, would he be rested yet a longer serving player like O Shea gets a call up? Trap usually issued a suqad list and the players would get in contact for details- now it seems to be the other way around with him calling plyers to check if they want to play.

Something fishy about this, especially given Hunt apparently being very let down by his treatment in Poland. I know it is only a friendly but Green, McShane, no Hoolahan, I would not hold out much hope of a drastically different approach from the disaster we pulled off at the Euros :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's nothing fishy about it, he's part of the senior group omitted. Trap said so in the press conference:

https://twitter.com/Ciaran_O/status/226289880425189376
    Stephen Hunt is one of them, he is ok. I clarify with him and the other, it's an opportunity for others.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There's nothing fishy about it, he's part of the senior group omitted. Trap said so in the press conference:

He has brought Andy Keogh back despite not having paid him the slightest bit of notice in years. The only players being voluntarily rested are lads who have been in the squad for 12- 16 odd years. McGeady, Keogh, Doyle, Hunt, McShane and Kelly all became international regulars at roughly the same time, and the only regular from that generation left out is a player who was rumoured to be furious at not playing in Poland? On the basis of Trap wanting to blood in the youth, despite the amount of aforementioned players who have been regulars for 5 odd years now? There is definitely something in this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xavi6 wrote: »

Stephen Hunt is one of them, he is ok. I clarify with him and the other, it's an opportunity for others.

absolute bull**** explaination.
    why call up dross like McShane and Green so?

Why include O'Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

who cares
    Hunt is useless anyway
    duno how he can complain not gettin games since he was terrible for Wolves

MD1990 wrote: »
    who cares
    Hunt is useless anyway
    duno how he can complain not gettin games since he was terrible for Wolves

Nobody is saying he is world class, he is a bit of Kilbane type. Wont ever set the world alight but usually puts in a solid workman performance for us. It is blatantly clear that Hunt either will not play under Trap or that Trap has banned him for dissent.

I reckon the first one being more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Nobody is saying he is world class, he is a bit of Kilbane type. Wont ever set the world alight but usually puts in a solid workman performance for us. It is blatantly clear that Hunt either will not play under Trap or that Trap has banned him for dissent.

Considering McClean was supposedly unhappy along with Hunt, his inclusion to me would rule that one out. Why ban Hunt and not McClean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

TaosHum wrote: »
    Considering McClean was supposedly unhappy along with Hunt, his inclusion to me would rule that one out. Why ban Hunt and not McClean?

McClean is younger and less injury prone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No Hoolahan again...ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

People calling for Hoolahan are not the smartest (in my opinion of course).

He is 30, so won't have very much time in the squad as it is.

His time has passed, he should have been in the squad ten years ago, but most of the people calling for him never heard of him then, and didn't care, and laughed when LoI and Shels fan were saying it then.

Typical.

Trap definitely should look at a Hoolahan type player, but not Weso.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Des wrote: »
    People calling for Hoolahan are retards imo.

His time has passed, he should have been in the squad ten years ago, but most of the people calling for him never heard of him then, and didn't care, and laughed when LoI and Shels fan were saying it then.

Typical.

Why is this quote getting thanks from people? It's not a very clever post at all. Just because Hoolahan is 30 that shouldn't rule him out of being drafted into the squad.

He probably won't get a call from Trap by the looks of it but that's another matter.

maybe in your head.
    i would consider it blatantly clear that he has left out some of the senior players to bring in younger ones.

he has dropped duff and hunt and brought in coleman and treacy

Why is this quote getting thanks from people? It's not a very clever post at all. Just because Hoolahan is 30 that shouldn't rule him out of being drafted into the squad.

He probably won't get a call from Trap by the looks of it but that's another matter.

because people agree with what he is saying :confused:

because people agree with what he is saying :confused:

Well if that's the case it just makes them wrong as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Typical.

He could easily do the job for two, maybe four, years and would be an upgrade on some of the players that get picked time and time again.

Also, people who have a different opinion are retards? Seriously?

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He could easily do the job for two, maybe four, years and would be an upgrade on some of the players that get picked time and time again.

Also, people who have a different opinion are retards? Seriously?

That's another reason why I was questioning why people saw fit to thank that post. Not only was he wrong it was also a poor comment badly phrased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Typical.

Maybe your right.

But on the other side he is now playing in the Premier League.

30 is not that old anyway....:o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A grand ole(young) squad. No Complaints.

• Advertisement

Well if that's the case it just makes them wrong as well.

well thats us told then

well thats us told then

It's just a matter of opinion bud, in my opinion you are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ugh, sick of reading traps crappy english already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That is the most retarded squad ever.

O'Dea still hasn't got a club but still gets to play for Ireland? :confused:

It's absolutely ridiculous. He gives a couple of players a chance, well we have to see if they're in the team yet, but still calls up McShane, O'Dea and Keogh to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

As Pro F said earlier, Trap moves at a glacial pace both tactically and squad picking. Shouldn't really be surprised by now, just constant disappointment it is at this stage.

SantryRed wrote: »
    That is the most retarded squad ever.

O'Dea still hasn't got a club but still gets to play for Ireland? :confused:

Green neither. Ireland- the economy is so fcuked even some of our professional footballers are on the dole :pac:

green signed for us.

BTW, green always had a club. the deal was done with leeds before he left for the euros. it was just that his contract with Derby ended at end of MAy and didnt get chance to sign new one with us.

Still a donkey though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Doesn't matter who Trap calls up. If the system remains the same then it's all irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People have the knives out for Trapp big time now I see. Won't matter what he does, people will find a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    People have the knives out for Trapp big time now I see. Won't matter what he does, people will find a problem with it.

No matter what he does? You watched the Euro's right?

People were critics of Trap long before this. The thing is he'll never do, it seems, what most people want, freshening up the squad a bit, after a disastrous tournament in every regard. Nevermind the fact we're going into a harder group then the one we barely scraped out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Surprised Clark didn't get a call up. If we want a new back line I'd think we'd want to try bring him into it.

Hopefully he starts to get proper game time at CB for Villa this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yep. Then when we're landed with an incompetent replacement after Trap leaves people will be saying we never should have let him go. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Logical course of action is to call up Hoolahan, Pilkington and McCarthy. As usual, Trapattoni does the complete opposite, by retaining nothing players like Green and O'Shea and drops useful guys like Hunt. He is a clown and fans need to start voting with their feet. Why anyone would now attend a friendly or WC qualifier to watch that tripe is beyond me. I went to one qualifier and friendly in the last year. But will definitely not return as long as that dinosaur is our manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Paully D wrote: »
    Yep. Then when we're landed with an incompetent replacement after Trap leaves people will be saying we never should have let him go. :pac:

No matter who comes in after Trap,that manager will find it hard to have a worst tournament than Trap had at Euro 2012 remember.

Will it go down as our worst tournament ever(conseeding 9,scoring 1,points 0).POSSIBLY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

grenache wrote: »
    Logical course of action is to call up Hoolahan, Pilkington and McCarthy. As usual, Trapattoni does the complete opposite, by retaining nothing players like Green and O'Shea and drops useful guys like Hunt. He is a clown and fans need to start voting with their feet. Why anyone would now attend a friendly or WC qualifier to watch that tripe is beyond me. I went to one qualifier and friendly in the last year. But will definitely not return as long as that dinosaur is our manager.

He's called up McCarthy. And I don't see how you can argue logically to omit O'Shea from a squad considering the guy can play almost anywhere. He's hardly in the same bracket as Green.

Pilkington and Hoolahan were never going to be a focal point for the team going forward. The rebuilding for 2014 imo needs to focus around the likes of Gibson, McClean, McCarthy, Kelly and Long and they are all in and may very well get their chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No matter who comes in after Trap,that manager will find it hard to have a worst tournament than Trap had at Euro 2012 remember.

Will it go down as our worst tournament ever(conseeding 9,scoring 1,points 0).POSSIBLY.

Well they have to get their first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Paully D wrote: »
    Well they have to get their first.
    I'd rather that we not if we play like that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I've always had it in for Trap. Not starting since the Euros.

Advertisement