Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Sound & Picture issues

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

something kermode eluded to and a thought myself and my brother shared today( owing to the fact we have a profoundly deaf relative)- the fact you cant see banes mouth plays a big part in the problems.i dont have the official facts and figures so i wont make them up but doesnt body language and lip movement account for more of communication then the actual spoken word itself.

from watching films with my uncle since i was young i got into the habit to this day of watching them with subtitles even when not in his presence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

No major problems with sound in the Savoy on Friday night although I noticed in some scenes the black colours (like Blakes hair) were more greyish, they could have turned up the brightness I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Seen it in Screen 17 (big one on the top floor) of Cineworld tonight. The picture was great, though the sound was a little on the loud site I thought. I got used to that, but I really couldn't get used to Bane's voice. Obviously it had to be dubbed because of the constraints of wearing the mask, but it seemed like no effort was made to make the voice sound like it was actually recorded at the time of filming. It sounded like when character's in a film are hearing voices inside their head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Arklow's cinema sound was excellent.

:)

The only drop out's we experienced (and this was
    more to the little lad's ears than mine) was during
    The Batmobile returning through the waterfall and
    Catwoman's follow up kill after she nails Mr Corporate to the
    wall with her stilletto.

Cuts, or just...?!?!

:cool:

I thought Bane (son of The Humongus) ripping the other
    losers face off was definetly trimmed though...

:confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Saw this in Savoy 1 and no a/v problems. Missed a few bane lines due to the reasons previously mentioned by others, but overall I was happy with the audio and video presentation and would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭fitz

I've stopped going to Vue for this reason. It's not just this movie, their sound setup is off. The centre channel, which I assume contains most of the dialogue, is too low. Had a few films ruined by straining to hear the dialogue over the score and sound effects coming from the side speakers, which were too loud.

It's almost like they've set the levels in reverse. The dialogue is at the level the score should be at and vice versa. It's incredibly frustrating. Have said it to them more than once, they obviously haven't done anything about it.

Having said that, had the sme issue in Screen 2 of Swan in Rathmines for TDKR. Only ever been in Screen 1 in there, and never had issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just to follow up on the picture issues in Vue, I went to see TDKR again this morning with friends. It was in one of the smaller screens in Vue, but I was astounded by the difference in picture quality. It was perfect. None of the murkiness that I experienced at the Friday showing. This would seem to confirm my suspicion that the polarising filter for 3D screenings hadn't been removed from the lens on the projector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

I went to see it in Vue on Saturday and it didn't seem to have any problems with the picture and sound. My only complaint that day is that vue charged 9.25 euro for the ticket which is fucking ridiculous :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I went to see it in Vue on Saturday and it didn't seem to have any problems with the picture and sound. My only complaint that day is that vue charged 9.25 euro for the ticket which is fucking ridiculous :mad:

What screen were you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

What screen were you in?

Screen 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 derryos

Just to follow up on the picture issues in Vue, I went to see TDKR again this morning with friends. It was in one of the smaller screens in Vue, but I was astounded by the difference in picture quality. It was perfect. None of the murkiness that I experienced at the Friday showing. This would seem to confirm my suspicion that the polarising filter for 3D screenings hadn't been removed from the lens on the projector.

For anyone who is interested, Vue just posted this on their FB page:
    Vue Cinemas: Good morning all, here's what we've learned: The Liffey Valley site became aware of a problem with The Dark Knight Rises and started ran diagnostics to ensure they carryied out the correct actions to resolve the problem. This has resulted in having to install a new sound processor and, in the interim, they removed the movie from screen 2 and showed it in another screen instead. The new sound processor means we'll now have the best quality sound!
    https://www.facebook.com/VueCinemas/posts/454972147870088?notif_t=feed_comment_reply

No mention of the picture issues, though, which leads me to believe it was an isolated incident. I emailed them about it anyway and they said they are looking into it and will get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I went to see it in Vue on Tuesday night and saw it in Screen 2. I thought the picture was fine but the sound was appalling - like others have said, it was very difficult to hear the dialogue when the background music was playing.
    In fairness to the manager there we got our money back with no quibble, and tickets to see it again or any other film we want.
    It gives me an excuse to go and see it again anyway cos I definitely didn't enjoy the film as much as I could have!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Went to see the movie again in Cineworld, this time in (the much smaller) Screen 5. Wasn't as annoyingly loud as in 17, and the picture was still great (:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I guess I've been lucky. I saw it In UCI/Odeon in Coolock and Cineworld (screen 8). Picture and sound were perfect in both. Well, when I say 'perfect' I mean on the cinema's side of things. There was some very obvious ADR (and I'm not just talking Bane) and the sound mix favoured music over dialogue sometimes when perhaps it shouldn't. Minor minor complaints though. I've done some sound based work so would be more inclined to notice such trivial things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eilisnig

TheHopeful wrote: »
    I saw this in the Omniplex in Galway on Friday evening too, and found that a lot of what Bane said was inaudible. My girlfriend thought the same.

I saw it in the Galway Omniplex last night in screen 10 , the sound was awful!! It was like it was coming from one speaker at the front of the screen. I paid almost €9 for a ticket to experience a surround sound but at times it was hard to hear! I think I'll stick with the Eye cinema from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saw it in screen 7 in Dundrum on Sunday night and part of the picture seemed to be slightly out of focus (seeing double, and no it wasn't 3D :D), but only about the lower 25% of the screen. I noticed it pretty much straight away (whenever there was text on the screen), but as it was really only noticeable with text, I actually forgot about it during the rest of the movie.

Sound was fine, it's only reading this thread I can remember having difficulty hearing dialogue over the music at one point, otherwise it was fine.

Advertisement