Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regards dogs toes?

• 21-07-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi all looking for some suggestions on if Nushkas toes look normal here in the photos below

1 toe on each back paw is turning in towards the other toe, her two middle toes nails are almost touching another and there seems to be no spread between them

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guys toes have always been like that? I though it was normal lol! What is the wear on the pads like and patches more worn than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Thanks for the reply TK123, i'm afraid it's some abnormality or messed up development in her back paws, here's 2 photos of her pads

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

Here's a small clip of her walking the other night, is it normal to have the wiggly bum while just walking?

She kinda straightens up once in a trot, also you might notice how her back legs kinda look Luke their crossing over or very close,

I'm getting paranoid about her hips being damaged or knees, she has no problems getting up, lying down, running, jumping, wrestling with her dog buddies at the park etc, she loves playing chasing and is so bloody fast when in full flight mode and ducking and dodging the dogs when they catch up with her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFmUD-hdV14&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Hi there. She does actually walk a bit funny. I saw you had another video of her running in the park (its by the same poster name anyway entitled "off lead in the park" - so forgive me if its not yours:) ) - and actually her run is a little off also.
    She is kind of bunny hopping with her back legs, also when she walks off lead - to me- she looks like there is a sort of stiffness / wobble or something with her left leg/hips. I do think there is something going on.

I would definitely bring her to the vet - but you should bring the vet those 2 videos as they would be extremely helpful in observing her walking and running as she does naturally.

Im no vet but I actually have a dog with a hip problem and a dog with a back issue so I do see something off. Dont worry though, lots can be done.

p.s This is, of course, just my humble opinion, which, of course, could be wrong - but do get a vets opinion and do bring those videos:)

maggiepip wrote: »
    Hi there. She does actually walk a bit funny. I saw you had another video of her running in the park (its by the same poster name anyway entitled "off lead in the park" - so forgive me if its not yours:) ) - and actually her run is a little off also.
    She is kind of bunny hopping with her back legs, also when she walks off lead - to me- she looks like there is a sort of stiffness / wobble or something with her left leg/hips. I do think there is something going on.

I would definitely bring her to the vet - but you should bring the vet those 2 videos as they would be extremely helpful in observing her walking and running as she does naturally.

Im no vet but I actually have a dog with a hip problem and a dog with a back issue so I do see something off. Dont worry though, lots can be done.

p.s This is, of course, just my humble opinion, which, of course, could be wrong - but do get a vets opinion and do bring those videos:)

Sorry if I freak you out but I agree tbh - def take her to get checked out - she looks like she's carrying some tension/is stiff. Her pads and nails would be an indication too which is why I mentioned them - you might have areas that are shiny/worn and areas that are thick/cracked also she may have uneven wear on the nails. Also take a look at her coat - you might see areas around her back/hips/legs where the fur is sticking up/out/curls like its against the grain if that makes sense? My guy had to get his back legs straightened before the first operation he used to have uneven wear on his paws to the point pads split and wore away in places :( I don't think he ever hopped as bad as that off lead video. I would rest her as much as possible until you can get her checked out - it could be something simple that's just gone unchecked like a pulled muscle so try not to panic too much - which I know is easier said than done.

• Advertisement

Thanks maggiepip and tk123, i'll be bringing her to the vet tomorrow morning to get her checked out,

I really hope it's just a stiffness as such and nothing extreme :(,

Hi just an update on Nushka, she's down at the vet now waiting to be xrayed, the vet had a play around with her back legs, hips and spine etc and feels some resistance on her back right leg,

She can extend her other leg out fully but the right leg has some resistance in it, so hopefully things go well for her

thank you maggiepip and tk123 for the heads up and advice, will keep ye updated later

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Were her parents hip scored do you know? This is very important in breeds like Huskies, Mal's etc.

Fingers crossed for you:)

andreac wrote: »
    Were her parents hip scored do you know? This is very important in breeds like Huskies, Mal's etc.

Hi Andrea yes both her parents were hip scored and eyes tested

Dam hips 4/3 eyes clear
    Sire hips 4/3 eyes clear

With the Malamutes breed average being 13 their good scores don't you think,

I saw the scores myself from the breeder who had a folder full of documents and showed me them without the need for asking

Thanks

• Advertisement

Fantastic, great to hear that :)

andreac wrote: »
    Fantastic, great to hear that :)

Quick question for you, since both her parents have all the health testing done is it still possible for Nushka to be at risk of HD?

Thanks

Yes, unfortunately there is no guarantee, but usually when parents are tested and have good scores, it lowers the chances. If your dog does turn out to have H.D. i would make sure to contact the breeders just to inform them.

Good breeders would like to be informed of things like that, i know i certainly would.

Thanks Andrea, will definitely inform them if the worst has happened with Nushka,

Hope she's ok - and you too OP - I know how awful it is to leave the vets without them in the morning and then waiting to go and collect them!

We're just home from the vets and she has very mild hip dysplasia :( ,

I'm sad that she has it really am but happy and relieved that there's no surgery or anything like that to be done,

I must cut the weight off her, plenty of exercise and she's on a supplement now to build back up the muscle and cartilage etc

She has no other problems with the other hip but you can definitely see a slight difference, will post her xray pics shortly

Her legs, knees and spine etc are in perfect condition with no problems or anything

Full of emotion now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It's such a pity after you sourcing a breeder who had good hip scores that she still developed dysplasia, these things happen I suppose! But good that it's only mild, and at least it's been caught early so treatment will help. God hip dysplasia is the last thing you think you'd find over noticing something in her toes!

Oh dear really sorry to hear that - but on a brighter note it could have been lots worse.

Has your vet started her on Cartrophen injections? Its fantastic and very safe. My Lab, who has medium hip dysplasia, has been on cartrophen injections for years (twice yearly, but is now moving onto 3 courses yearly). It heals by preserving the health of the joint and provides pain relief - and she is great and in no pain. She is 8 now. She still flies around most of the time:)

Green lipped mussel capsules (you will get them in a health food shop) are excellent and of course glucosamine.

So although its not great news - its not too bad. Best of luck.

Thanks SillyMangoX,

maggiepip my vet recommended that she start on an Omega 3 supplement and that there was no need for any kind of pain relief

She gave me a choice of the Omega 3 or Glucosamine ( is that right) and recommended the Omega 3

Xray pics

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Another quick question here, the vet has given me a supplement by the name of Aller G-3 capsules, are they the right kind of supplements for Nushka?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Im surprised she hasnt mentioned Cartrophen Vet to you (not to be confused with the NSAID/painkiller Carprofen).

Hope you dont think Im poking my nose in here :o but Cartrophen isnt a painkiller as such, it actually stops further degeneration of the joints by (amongst other things) increasing production of synovial fluid therefore helping to prevent arthritis setting in/minimising progression of arthritis. It does also help pain (if there is any) but in a more natural way than NSAIDS.

I would suggest at some stage you ask your vets opinion on this course of treatment as I fully believe it has halted the progression of my dogs hip dysplasia by preventing the onset of severe arthritis.

Best of luck:)

Yep they're fine - natural omega3/fatty acid supplement.

Your fine maggiepip :) the more info the better,

The vet hasn't mentioned that supplement to me, maybe as Nushka gets older she might be on it then or should she be on it now?

The vet also said for me to carry on as normal with her tomorrow, stick to the same amount of exercise and more if possible to get the muscle built up on Nushka, but i'm paranoid to bits that i'll make things worse

Ah god at least it's mild and you're aware of the problem now so you can manage it. I give my guy Flexicose (flexicoseonline.co.uk) and Luposan pellets (from zooplus) and he doesn't need any pain meds. He does hydro every week too which has made a huge difference to his strength and muscle tone so that might be something to look into for her to build and keep her muscles strong without any impact on her joints.

The vet also said that when the extra weight comes off Nushka and her muscle tone builds back around her hip area then her leg should straighten out abit more

She's lying down next to me now asleep and abit groggy from the anaesthetic

Weight control and supplements will do wonders - but to be honest, if she were my dog, I would definitely have a discussion about starting on Cartrophen Vet.

Even maybe one course a year (which is one injection per week for 4 weeks) then you dont have another treatment for 12 months.

It has stopped arthritis progression in my dog by improving joint health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hi John , Hows Nushka gettin on? You probably no from the weather forum I have a Mal , nearly 3 now and i m gonna be increasing his supplements , oils and that to try help with any chances of HD occuring with him.

Advertisement