Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month work visa or Internship visa (USA)

Options
  • 21-07-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I've decided to go to America for 12 months. I'm planning on going within the next few months.

I've been looking up the details on Go4less.ie and I seem to be eligible for both the 12 months work visa and the Internship visa. (I finished my degree in May.)

The only difference I can see between the two is that you need to have a job arranged in advance to get the Internship visa whereas this is not a requirement for the 12 month work visa.

At the moment, I seem to be favouring the 12 month work visa because it is quite difficult to organise a job in the US before leaving Ireland and I think I would have more success once I'm out there.

However, the fact that I just finished college in May means that I don't have a huge amound of career-related experiece so I was thinking that the internship visa might be better suited to me.

Would anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

** Moving from US/Canada Travel to USA forum where J1 visa questions go ***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

I'm actually doing the same thing. I'd favour doing a 12 month visa to be honest. To get an internship one I'm guessing you'll need to get the company to fill out a load of forms on how they plan to teach you etc... It probably wouldn't be worth their time and they'll only probably pay you a small wage. You can still get an internship though when you get there and which might be easier.

I spent my 3rd year working in Boston and the company had to fill in some forms. That was an internship too.

What did you study in college? Where are you planning to go too? If you know people it would obviously be a huge help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

cabla wrote: »
    I'm actually doing the same thing. I'd favour doing a 12 month visa to be honest. To get an internship one I'm guessing you'll need to get the company to fill out a load of forms on how they plan to teach you etc... It probably wouldn't be worth their time and they'll only probably pay you a small wage. You can still get an internship though when you get there and which might be easier.

They'll have to do that anyway for the 12-month IWT visa once they've offered you a job/internship. It'll just be after you've arrived, rather than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

They'll have to do that anyway for the 12-month IWT visa once they've offered you a job/internship. It'll just be after you've arrived, rather than before.

Ye but I'd imagine it would be a lot easier if you're over there rather than them filling it out sending it off while you are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CopperPipe

There's a lot more involved in the forms with an internship visa as apposed to the 12 month one. For the internship visa you need to fill out about 5 or 6 difference phases of a training plan. For the 12 month visa only one phase is required and it's a lot easier to fill out.

The 12 month visa is definitely the way to go, it allows you the freedom to head out there and source a job as apposed to trying to find a job from Ireland, which can be very hard to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jessymoore86

Hi,

Starting to prep for 12 month visa and lookign into companies etc - I know USIT, Go4Less and the iiic give you the visa - but who is better? Hear people say the IIIC is cheaper etc but also see thread of people saying they have been denied visas with them? .. ANy advice on the embassy interview would be great too - kind of nervous as i've been on 2 J1s and also a H2B visa, where my employer sponsored me to work as a waitress for 9 months - but i only worked 5 - I have proof of returning but starting to think that the embassy could use this against me?

Anyone who is over there now would love advice - are they really that strict about bar work etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

**CLOSING OLD THREAD & DUPLICATE POSTS**

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement