Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade advice

Options
  • 21-07-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

Getting towards that time again of doing the big upgrade :D And as I haven't really seriously looked at components in about 2+ years, I'll let ye tell me what to get (within reason)

FYI, current system is:

Coolermaster Stacker 832
    ASUS Maximus Formula - Special Edition Republic of Gamers - LGA 775, X38
    Intel Core2Duo E6600 (one from first month of production iirc)
    GeIL 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
    PNY GTX 460 1GB Overclock
    Mushkin 650W Modular PSU
    Tuniq tower 120
    Number of HDD's
    1x Asus DVD+RW drive
    1x DVD R drive
    and a shed load of fans

1. What is your budget? [Unsure]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [ Used to be gaming, not a lot recently, more aimed towards Photoshop / image editing, possibly some video editing in future, but I'd still like to be able to play games if I feel like. Basically a good all rounder :D]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes, Can get 64bit from S4S]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [I'll be keeping the GTX 460, HDDs, Optical drives and fans, and I'm unsure about upgrading the case (funds permitting)]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1680 x 1050 (HP w2207h)/1440x900(Acer AL1916W)]
    Again, funds permitting I may upgrade to a Catleap 27" within the next while.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Intend on it]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Again, unsure]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [I'm sure I'll be alright, I'm experienced ;)]

Here's what I've managed to come up with thus far... I'll let ye give me opinions on it :)

Item|Price
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€99.70
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R White, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€95.86
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3|€228.47
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€202.99
    2*8GB-Kit (4x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9|€91.72

Corsair Hydro Series H100|€94.25
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€831.98

Reason for picking the 2500k vs 3570k despite the prices being similar, I feel the 2500 will overclock better and probably match the performance of the 3570 anyway, and I get a bigger e-peen for having a higher clocked cpu :pac:

The H100 is if I get the Carbide 500r, if not I'll go with a H80 as it's more suited to the CM Stacker.

Opinions... let's hear 'em :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I'd change the motherboard for an AsRock Extreme4. Much better value for what you're getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Don't really get why that mobo is so expensive. The Sabertooth is cheaper.

2500K v 3570K if you have excellent cooling the 3570K will be faster than a 2500K. There might be 100 - 200Mhz in the clock speed but the 3570K is going to out bench the 2500K.

You are also loosing some e-peen benefits of the 3570K like PCI-e 3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Eboggles wrote: »
    I'd change the motherboard for an AsRock Extreme4. Much better value for what you're getting.

It's missing quite a few conveniences of the Asus board though.... Any other reason to pick the ASrock?
    Don't really get why that mobo is so expensive. The Sabertooth is cheaper.

2500K v 3570K if you have excellent cooling the 3570K will be faster than a 2500K. There might be 100 - 200Mhz in the clock speed but the 3570K is going to out bench the 2500K.

You are also loosing some e-peen benefits of the 3570K like PCI-e 3.0

Snooping around it seems there's not a whole lot of info on what I'd have thought was a decent question - 2500k vs 3570k.

Bit tech is the first review i've come across comparing clock for clock. As you said, the 3570 does come out on top, but it's the heat issues with a good overclock I'd be worried about.
    Using a multiplier of 50x, baseclock of 100MHz and a vcore of 1.4V, we pushed our Core i5-3570K to 5GHz with Extreme Load Line Calibration enabled and C-states disabled too.

However, while our Corsair H100 didn't feel particularly warm, the temperature of our CPU was sky-high and only just below the Tj Max of 105°C.

Yet there's plenty of people running a 5Ghz 2500k without such big heat problems.

I reckon a fair comparison would be in terms of reasonable temperatures for a daily use rig, and I've a feeling it'd be a 5Ghz 2500k vs a 4.6Ghz 3570k, in which case it's hard to know what's better.

Regards PCI-3.0..... I'm not intending on upgrading to a new graphics card any time soon, and it's already been proven that it has fup all difference in any real world situation. Not worried :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I have mine running at 4.3Ghz undervolted so I don't think there is going to be too much issue pushing them to speeds which will out bench 2500K's by quite a margin.

PCI-e 3.0 will come into its own in xfire and SLI set ups on the next gen of cards if not now.

You will also get better result for VirtuMVP on the 3570K

Your build, the 2500K is certainly a bit better value just seems odd to build a machine for bragging rights with old tech.

That Mobo seems really poor value tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I suppose for the sake of 10 quid the 3570k might make more sense in somewhat future proofing the system for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement