Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

college course help

• 21-07-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

help i have applied for a lovely course in dublin that i would love. now its to late to reapply for it again because the cao is closed. its gone for good. i let it go because i didnt want to leave home. i get very homesick and find it veru hard to get used to new environments, to be comfortable in them and accept them. now i have applied for a course i know i am going to hate. help i dont know what to do. even if i qualify in this course i dont even want to look for a job in it because its scary and dangerous. i dont know what to do. people keep telling me ill be alright and i will find something or something else but im not so sure. i dont feel comfortable with doing this course and then afterward trying to a job in something else because i feel that is unreliable. im ashamed of myself fot not being able to leave home. so miserable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

so, you've applied for a course you don't want to do in UCC? and you want to go to Dublin, but it's too late now because the course choices have been locked in? My advice, if you know that you really don't want to do the UCC course, is to not accept it when the offers come out, and perhaps stay in cork and work for the year (a year of working will help you out bigtime with your finances next year). then next february, put in your application to the cao again for the course YOU DO WANT TO DO. You'll know your points by then, so if they're enough, then you just wait till you get your offer. I know it's a year of waiting around whilst your friends are in college, but it'll be better in the longrun. One year isn't big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭kob29

Don't start a course that you don't want to do. You just need a bit of time to mature enough to be able to manage yourself away from home and if this year is what that takes then so be it- take the time your need. But use the year well, why not look into doing a plc course in something that interests you or something that would give you an extra useful qualification that you could maybe work part time with while in college in the next few years.

As a further ed teacher I have students every year who get cao offers of courses they don't end up wanting and some who get what they want but don't feel ready to leave home yet. The extra year makes a major difference and gives students time to get their head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tammyxxx

RE: IS the sociology and politics mcq exam for 1st arts hard to pass and Psychology???
    AND especially the politics part of the mcq sociology and politics exam??? :( worried im gonna fail really want 2 pass. lecture notes don't link up to book well :( Psychology pressurised exam 120 Q's in 120 mins scary AHHHHHHHHHH!!! would love psych next year but wont gt it :( not smart enough(NOT GOOD @ ENGLISH, THUS ONE NEEDS 2 B 4 ARTS- that's what it is all about being able to express yourself in a fluid/ sensuous way on paper. :( wish i was better @ it and more intelligent :( -would be over the moon with psych studies - denominated is way out of my league.

Know will do good in history and French but sociology-and politics and psychology will drag me down so i prob wont get psych studies- disappointed in myself. only gt 300 in LC know i would have gt 450 if i studied more :(

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about studying soc and pol and psych to pass the exams ??????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

wow. you really have the wrong take on life. my advice is drop education, work for a year, travel abit and figure out what you want to do in life. then go to college. dont go doing something just because your friends and parents pressure you into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Tammyxxx wrote: »
    RE: IS the sociology and politics mcq exam for 1st arts hard to pass and Psychology???
    AND especially the politics part of the mcq sociology and politics exam??? :( worried im gonna fail really want 2 pass. lecture notes don't link up to book well :( Psychology pressurised exam 120 Q's in 120 mins scary AHHHHHHHHHH!!! would love psych next year but wont gt it :( not smart enough(NOT GOOD @ ENGLISH, THUS ONE NEEDS 2 B 4 ARTS- that's what it is all about being able to express yourself in a fluid/ sensuous way on paper. :( wish i was better @ it and more intelligent :( -would be over the moon with psych studies - denominated is way out of my league.

Know will do good in history and French but sociology-and politics and psychology will drag me down so i prob wont get psych studies- disappointed in myself. only gt 300 in LC know i would have gt 450 if i studied more :(

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about studying soc and pol and psych to pass the exams ??????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

I did Politics, Sociology and Psychology last year and am now a Soc Major and Psych minor. Ask away any questions, as i don't quite fully understand your post!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Sociology PhD student here so if you need/want some advice then fire away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Are you in your Leaving Cert year? You can reapply again in May/July after you have finished your Leaving Cert exams, some people have change of mind when it comes to courses.

As other posters have mentioned, try not to do a course you think you hate or feel forced to do. Even if you get homesick you will get over it, you'll create a new life in Dublin but like that now if it doesn't work out that's fine move back home no big deal.

Depending on points go for a course you want to do not what others want you to do unless its a course you really want to do. Sometimes for me I feel like I could back again to my CAO choices and change it a bit, looking back I think I hadn't a clue what I was doing and assumed my career fall into place after college but hasn't really, I took the safe option and should have taken a risk and gone for a course I had my heart set on but I think didn't know myself what I really wanted to do, I wanted to do IT but I felt business and IT be better sometimes think it was a good choice something I think not, it just hit the surface meaning I had to branch off sometime after that and still cannot decide what I want to do, have an idea yes but still clueless as I keep going around in circles looking for a suitable career.

I was concerned how I'd do in the courses and hoped I do well, I just thought step by step be a bit easier but to be honest I think a degree is laid out better than a cert and then step by step to degree stage. Regarding the CAO if I at least added another or different degree as first choice rather than with a cert course at the time I felt it be the ideal course the cert one, what I wanted to do and thought well step by step be better and even if I wanted to further my studies I could do and felt I could with the course I picked and that I could take a break and still get a qualification rather than wait four years for one.

I do regret not taking the chance of leaving home and felt obliged to be nearer to home and went to a college that wasn't far from home, I knew myself I wasn't ready to leave home but If I bit the bullet and taken a chance my career might have taken a different path but often wonder cause the courses I picked were similar I'd end up in the same career path but I didn't know how long I'd stay in college thought I be sick of it after a few years but no did the degree and did a postgrad in something slightly different to my degree and think I end up going back to college again to do a Masters in the next few years as there isn't much out there for me at the moment.

I feel a bit better for doing the hdip postgrad but do wonder if I had picked my degree choice over my cert choice things might have been different, more work experience and plan my career better I honestly don't know cause I thought the courses were similar when both were at degree stages but as you get to know every course title might be the same or similar but the modules, course and course outcomes are different, I was a bit naive in thinking the outcomes be similar/courses be similar just cause they had similar modules but what's covered varies from college to college.

So choose wisely what course you really want to do and do a course you really really want to do, and chase your dreamed career, you will never know unless you try! You never know that may not be your dream job something else could be, embrace your talents and personality to find the course suited to you. What did you always want to be?

You are staying in Cork just for the sake of being nearer to home which is a bit unfair on you its a choice you have to make really, is it worth the risk to do a course you'd love, enjoy and get a career you really want? Its what ever make you happy what course and career make you happy!

You will meet new people make new friends, a new life a new chapter and a new city might do the world of good, and living away from home be hard at first but you gain an independence you never look back you can always go back home if you don't settle in Dublin, sure look go for the Dublin course when you can another chance to apply again and go for it.

Try it out, no 17/18/19 gets these things right some take years to decide what they really want to do! I thought I had it all sorted out when I was at that age but I was wrong I took the easy option and regret not doing another course or at least do the two year course I picked and transfer into another degree instead. I'd wonder why am I still stuck here and why my work experience has either helped or hindered my chances of getting a job, are my skills too varied or what ever it is. Loads of opportunities for me but can't seem to hit the nail on the head on a set career despite having got my foot in the door which wasn't enough to carry my career further.

In this day and age and recessionary times, you really need to think outside the box too, no one can tell you want to do but your instinct and gut feeling might give you an idea what to do, what feels right and what you know in your heart and mind is right. Its only you that knows what career path is right for you if you have that already figured out that's half the battle!

Try not to regret the choices you make or make a better choice about the regretful ones if you can make a change and take a chance you can always do it somewhere along the line, if you do a degree you can go into most postgrads of any discipline of your choice and vice versa if you want to pursue both areas you are interested in! There are loads of options. Maybe do a PLC course in the area you have an interest in rather that do the course in UCC and then choose again when CAO comes out again and make your choice then for the course you want. Otherwise gain a bit of work experience or travel? take a break from study, get your head together and make you more mature/independent, find yourself but if you already know what career you want why waste time just go for it when you can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

^^^ what she said

Advertisement