Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Galway to Westport

Options
  • 21-07-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So, I'm thinking of cycling to Westport from Galway. The most I've done is 50km but I think I'd be able for 85km and sure if not I can hop on a bus.
    My question is regarding the route, I've been told the headford road is'nt very bike friendly-does anyone have experience of this or a alternate route? any tips?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

From Corrandulla up to Galway (12km) is not nice except on a Sunday. Its narrowvery exposed and busy so if you easily intimidated by cars etc best to avoid.

I would say go Westport , Ballinrobe,The Neale,Cross Headford,(take care once you pass Cloganover Hall for about 3 km), turn left at Corrandulla cross, follow the road to Loughgeorge T junction right onto the N17 and you have the Bus lane and hard shoulder the 10km thru Claregalway to Galway. Adds about 5 km but is safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'd say get a bus to Maam Cross or Clifde and cycle up via Leenane, one of the best cycles in Ireland once you get off the Galway Clifden road.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Cycled both ways last year. Leenane route relatively quiet, great scenery, and natural breakpoint at lenane if you need it. Headford to Westport is fine but from Galway head out tuam road and cut across to headford, avoid the narrowbuey sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hi_there

Thanks for replies you guys-sorry for late reply!
    Tried the galway-tuam rd-turn at loughgeorge junction and head to headford route WLPD and fago suggested and tried the direct straight to headford route, not much difference in distance but the non-direct route is definitely a bit safer. Though there are some dodgy parts around headford besides!
    Haven't tried the scenic route yet but it's on the to do list!

Advertisement