Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a ghetto SS bar with straps

Options
  • 21-07-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Both my wrists are in bad shape so using the standard grip on front squats isnt a starter and the cross arm thing is never secure enough for me to focus on squatting rather than not letting the bar slip.
    I remember many moons ago reading someone looping their straps around the bar and using them as handles. Is this a viable alternative? My own cheapo straps are very short, too short to wrap around my hand so before I buy a longer (proper!) pair I said Id ask on here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Ive used it a few times...very hard to go to decent weight on it though.
    If you know a metal worker get them to make a top squat

top-squat-top.jpg

I've also used a top squat and found it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Both my wrists are in bad shape so using the standard grip on front squats isnt a starter and the cross arm thing is never secure enough for me to focus on squatting rather than not letting the bar slip.
    I remember many moons ago reading someone looping their straps around the bar and using them as handles. Is this a viable alternative? My own cheapo straps are very short, too short to wrap around my hand so before I buy a longer (proper!) pair I said Id ask on here

Are you trying to grip the bar when f squatting? You only need a finger or two on it to keep it in place.

Short straps shouldn't be a problem, most weighlifters use short ones. Loop them around the bar and just grip them, haven't done but I've seen it done. Sounds like your doing something wrong though, the bar rests on your delts and the hands are just to keep it in place. If your elbows are up it shouldn't move too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Google "gillingham front squat strap" - improvise as necessary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Are you trying to grip the bar when f squatting? You only need a finger or two on it to keep it in place.

Short straps shouldn't be a problem, most weighlifters use short ones. Loop them around the bar and just grip them, haven't done but I've seen it done. Sounds like your doing something wrong though, the bar rests on your delts and the hands are just to keep it in place. If your elbows are up it shouldn't move too much.

I cant put any weight on my wrists while theyre bent e.g. If I ever have to do push ups it has to be on my knuckles as doing them palms down would be very painful, so thats why I cant do the normal grip.
    The crossed arm thing is grand to start but towards the end of a set as form goes even a little and the bar moves I end up focusing on not letting the bar slide so any little thing will probably help.
    Ill give it a go with my cheapo straps so, hopefully it does the biz!

Hanley wrote: »
    Google "gillingham front squat strap" - improvise as necessary :)

So simple and looks so effective!

• Advertisement

I tried using my straps like this today. Might do a job for you.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    I tried using my straps like this today. Might do a job for you.

cheers thats exactly what I was thinking of doing, my straps are alot skinnier than that so if its hard to grip I might even just double over 2 lengths of rope and loop it over the bar.
    How did you find doing front squats that way as opposed to the traditional way?
    Class looking gym btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

cheers thats exactly what I was thinking of doing, my straps are alot skinnier than that so if its hard to grip I might even just double over 2 lengths of rope and loop it over the bar.

That sounds like an idea

How did you find doing front squats that way as opposed to the traditional way?
    Class looking gym btw!

It was alright, I didn't go too heavy though. I'm sure you'd get used to it the more you do it but does keep your wrists from flexing. Rope sounds like it would work better grip wise but these were fine too.

The gym is Morton Stadium.

Advertisement