Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting out apartment during 3 week holiday

Options
  • 21-07-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I'm currently renting an apartment in Dublin City Centre. I'm heading away on holidays in September for three weeks. Cash is tight already, and I was wondering if it would be possible to rent out my place for the three weeks so that I don't have to drop approx €600 for a place I'm not living in. I know there will be security issues re. my stuff - but I can leave the more personal and expensive things in a mate's. I also know I would have to discuss this with my landlord, but I mentioned it to the estate agent when I moved in, and he thought it would be ok.

So, basically, I just need to know how to go about this, or if it's even possible. Anybody with experience to share would be great too!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Honestly I'm going to be blunt - move on and dont even dream of doing it. Its 3 weeks and if money is that tight maybe you should be staying at home?

You dont know who you are going to be letting in, they could trash the place in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Party house for 3 weeks. All your stuff could be trashed.

Oh, and when you come back, they may not move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Cheers. Yeah, I know it's potentially dodgy, but with couch surfing and travelling meet-ups being a big thing at the moment, I thought it might be a possibility. I'm willing to take a risk of getting nightmare people, but not too much of a risk! I just wanted to know if it was something that was done.

Can afford the holiday, but could do a lot more with an extra €600!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you've already paid for your September holiday, this isn't much use, but for future reference, look at doing a house swap. There's a number of legit agencies, and you might, for example, swap your Dublin city apartment for someone's apartment in the States for a few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Very dangerous thing to do. Not only for your own personal belongings but if they trash the place it will be you who foots the bill. There are probably scumbags out there checking websites for such easy opportunities.

The only issue is you are living alone.

I share with another person. My rent is usually 450. I rented my room for a month for 600e. Gave the flatmate 150e to keep him happy, tenant turned out to be sound. Easy money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

xoxyx wrote: »
    Can afford the holiday, but could do a lot more with an extra €600!

Can you afford to lose your deposit more to the point?

Advertisement