Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nforce wrote: »
    One more question. Whats the best,most stable image file to run on the box?

HDMU is what most here are running, get the latest is 10847, available in the firmware thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84016368#post84016368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Thanks again, Pog.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lafpat

Leiva wrote: »
    Thinking of buying this amp from Richersounds:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&SUB=24&ProductID=1249

Has anyone got their Alien2 hooked up to an amp and any problems?

I think I read somewhere on here about a problem someone was having but I can't find the post.

I have the Onkyo TX-NR515 amp for about 4 months now and it works flawlessly with Amiko Alien. Have it running through a BenQ 1070 projector and the sound and picture quality is second to none. I have no issues with HDMI handshaking since the last firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bennybongo87

How do ya use the custom.txt file in autobouquets to place channels were you want them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

What's all this about big changes coming this year with new satellites etc:eek:

I'm about to invest in a stb mulitroom system with all the goodies ;) installed and paid for.

• Advertisement

I'm about to invest in a stb mulitroom system with all the goodies ;) installed and paid for.

The new satellite is going to the same position as the old one 28.2e. There's more than one satellite up there but they're so far away your dish sees them all as one satellite. You will just need to run autobouquets or a do rescan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Big Changes happening sometime after april 30th..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

givecredit wrote: »
    Big Changes happening sometime after april 30th..

?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Does anyone use the icefilms plugin, tried it a few times but seems to get stuck loading, it did work once though. Would be something else if it worked?

Or do you guys use anything similar to stream?

I have yet to try 1 channel,

Appreciate all inputs,

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Does anyone use the icefilms plugin, tried it a few times but seems to get stuck loading, it did work once though. Would be something else if it worked?

Or do you guys use anything similar to stream?

I have yet to try 1 channel,

Appreciate all inputs,

TIA
    check and see if the site is actually up when it fails to work on the Amiko, the sites are down more than they are up lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

This is in reply to post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84021385&postcount=17
    in the firmware thread. Moving to this thread as this is the discussion thread.

Hi cormacl,

I'm also using an Ethernet bridge (Vonets VAP11G WIFI Bridge) and I haven't experienced any problems. I haven't done very extensive network tests like you have, but I can connect to it via FTP, telnet, web and dreamdroid from within the house network. I've opened a port to the box's webserver and I can access it from the outside. The box can access outside servers without any issues and I can update firmware and install plugins from the box.
    I haven't tried mounting a network share (NAS).
    I also set up my Alien2 with a static IP from the beginning, as it just made it much easier for me to work with it (no need to worry of IP changing).

About your questions:
    1) Just press the "Play" button on your remote and you go to a nicer interface to play videos. I guess this is the standard Enigma2 interface. (Sorry, I've no experience with other linux-based boxes other than the alien2).

2) The Pli HD feels slow for me especially when flicking through the terrestrial channels, not so much when flicking through the sat channels. I installed the modern pli as someone suggested in this thread and it's running faster.

3) I'm not sure how to answer this. I just followed Pog's guide to the letter with a real hard drive installed and I had no problems whatsoever.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Will these changes have any effect on the things we are not allowed discuss in here?

catch my drift??

Will these changes have any effect on the things we are not allowed discuss in here?

catch my drift??

No, channels move all the time, not just when they get a new satellite, it's a constant thing as channels change to HD. A transponder on a satellite (think of it like a spotlight shining its beam) has either ~34 (DVB-S) or ~45mbit (DVB-S2) of capacity, this is enough for 4x HD or ~10x SD TV channels or a mix of both on each transponder. http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Sky and Freesat boxes get updates sent to the box. FTA boxes need a rescan of the transponder to get the changes. Linux boxes like the Amiko alien 2 can use the Autobouquets plugin to read the update Sky send to their boxes. Anyone with a FTA box installed a year or two ago would have very few channels left by now, they replaced a satellite last year too, with a temporary one that's being moved to another position in the sky (19e) when the new one arrives later this year. The worst that will happen is you'll need a rescan.

thanks Pog.

Did i read right that once they have everyone over to HD channels that that could be the end of the stuff we cant talk about.??? due to SLY then being able to to pair boxes with accounts?

thanks Pog.

Did i read right that once they have everyone over to HD channels that that could be the end of the stuff we cant talk about.??? due to SLY then being able to to pair boxes with accounts?

Nope, they sometimes seem to move them round for no reason :P

catch my drift??

Big Changes happening sometime after 30th April and I am not talking about changes to satellites.

Big Changes happening sometime after 30th April and I am not talking about changes to satellites.

Wanna enlighten me ..PM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Do share, pm if necessary.

He's talking about the new pairing system that Sky have said they'll be introducing. It would mean moving everyone to a HD package and giving them a free HD box if they were to enforce it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's talking about the new pairing system that Sky have said they'll be introducing. It would mean moving everyone to a HD package and giving them a free HD box if they were to enforce it

Which doesnt seem plausible (short term)

Yep, it's always been constant cat and mouse game. Encryption methods are constantly changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bennybongo87

I have an alien 2 and hdmu image working well. I was just wondering would this image work on its wee bro 8900? I am thinking of replacing my f5 with one of these. The reason that I do not want another alien 2 is that I don't have another spare hdd for recording + I would have to pull a new cable which wouldn't be the easiest of jobs...

Yep, it's always been constant cat and mouse game. Encryption methods are constantly changing.

Well this mouse is running enough Cat6 cables to all points that could facilitate a satellite on its own.
    In preparation for a movement of the goal posts :p

Well this mouse is running enough Cat6 cables to all points that could facilitate a satellite on its own.
    In preparation for a movement of the goal posts :p

Sooner or later that wont be enough, you'll need fibre :P

FYI, The beauty of fibre will be it doesn't conduct electricity or get interference from copper cables so you'll be able to run it in the same conduit as your power and get a special double socket with a fibre connector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Has anyone tried the Satstation images ,how do they compare to the HDMU image ?
    They have a new backup released this week .
    I installed it in on my Golden Media Triplex and it seems to have a mind of its own,huge lag and remote barely responded .

I noticed a bug with the HDMU software today.
    I was watching a satellite channel ,then recorded it and switched to a Saorview channel .
    I switched back to the satellite channel and stopped the recording but when I went back to Saorview ,it says "Service not found" on Saorview channels.
    I had to hard restart the receiver to get the Saorview channels back.

The HDD Mount manager plugin is fairly primitive and doesnt seem to work properly.It messed up a few memory sticks for me today ,I had to reformat them in Spark in Ext3 as they had been corrupted by Enigma 2.
    It would be nice to have a better way of mounting drives like on Dreamboxes ,far superior.

I installed the multi quick button beta plugin and configured a good few buttons.It works well but its functionality is limited.
    I couldnt remap certain buttons ,notably red,yellow,green and blue while other buttons like pause didnt work properly .
    The mute button needed remapping but it would only mute for a few secs .

Is timeshift working for you with the multi quick button plugin, I removed it and timeshift started working again. I've read of lots of problems with the hdd mount manager plugin, I've not used it for this reason, but I have no mounting problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is timeshift working for you with the multi quick button plugin, I removed it and timeshift started working again. I've read of lots of problems with the hdd mount manager plugin, I've not used it for this reason, but I have no mounting problems.
    Yes it is but its mapped to the Timeshift button not the pause button .
    The problem is that the pause button has multi functionality ,pause and timeshift whereas the plugin only seems to allow one function per button.
    I'll have another play with it later.

The Satstation image has good key mapping
    EPG Button - Short press to Cool TV Guide - Long press to Eventview - Note a long press of GREEN in Cool TV will change your guide view type if you wish
    Info Button - Single press to second info bar (shows softcam connection info etc.) - Double press to Eventview
    V.Format Button - Switches between various display formats
    Mute Button - Does what it suggests - this needed manually editing to work though hence mentioned here!
    TV/Radio - Switches between choice of Radio and TV Bouquets
    FAV - Takes you directly to Bouquets List (Favourites)
    OK - Takes you directly to Bouquets List (Favourites)
    FOLDER - Takes you to /media/hdd for selecting recordings/directories
    Cross UP - Bouquet + List
    Cross Down - Bouquet - List
    Cross Left - Channel -
    Cross Right - Channel +
    Blue Button - Short press to Plugins Browser - Long press to Network Configuration
    TimeShift Button - Starts, Stops and Plays timeshift on live TV
    F1 - Takes you direct to SoftCam Manager
    F2 - Takes you direct to Network Configuration
    F3 - Launches CrossEPG Downloader

These boxes are really very finicky with usb drives sometimes it will work fine with a drive the next time it doesnt detect the drive ,very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Zardoz wrote: »
    I noticed a bug with the HDMU software today.
    I was watching a satellite channel ,then recorded it and switched to a Saorview channel .
    I switched back to the satellite channel and stopped the recording but when I went back to Saorview ,it says "Service not found" on Saorview channels.
    I had to hard restart the receiver to get the Saorview channels back.

After watching some recording, I also got that no satellite service message. When I tried to switch to terrestrial the box locked up and needed a hard reboot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Should change your name to cryptic meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Wanna let me in on the big secret? Pm if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bu33les

can all updates be done with a midband connection

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭T0MMY

Two questions:

Does timeshift use the internal disk space or rely on your external HD?

Has anyone set up a custom channel list in autobouquets and got it working? If so is it possible to include Saorview channels in the list?

T0MMY wrote: »
    Two questions:

Does timeshift use the internal disk space or rely on your external HD?

External, there is no internal disk space.
    Has anyone set up a custom channel list in autobouquets and got it working? If so is it possible to include Saorview channels in the list?

The idea of autobouquets is it puts them in the Sky numbered order, 101 RTE 1, 401 Sky Sports 1 etc. You run it on a schedule so it keeps the order the same as Sky and updates any transponder changes. If you edit these bouquets the next time it runs it will put them back. Any bouquet you make yourself is left untouched, I have one down at the bottom for Saorview and another for favourites and they never get overwritten. You can run it once, edit the bouquets and disable updating if you want though, but that defeats the purpose of the plugin

External, there is no internal disk space.

The idea of autobouquets is it puts them in the Sky numbered order, 101 RTE 1, 401 Sky Sports 1 etc. You run it on a schedule so it keeps the order the same as Sky and updates any transponder changes. If you edit these bouquets the next time it runs it will put them back. Any bouquet you make yourself is left untouched, I have one down at the bottom for Saorview and another for favourites and they never get overwritten. You can run it once, edit the bouquets and disable updating if you want though, but that defeats the purpose of the plugin

I assume timeshift will shorten the life of your hard disk considerably.

I thought I saw somewhere there was a way of uploading custom channel lists to some site somehwere and AB would keep it updated.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

I assume timeshift will shorten the life of your hard disk considerably.

Permanent timeshift will if you run it all the time, there's a plugin for that, it allows you rewind live tv. Normal timeshift is no different to recording.
    I thought I saw somewhere there was a way of uploading custom channel lists to some site somehwere and AB would keep it updated.

Cheers.

Yes, there is the option for custom lists, this defeats the advantages the Sky numbering though.

Can you leave channels out and put Saorview channels in? I'm using mine as FTA.

I personally have no interest in card sharing but I am curious to know if most people who do it use friends cards or buy them online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bu33les

Bu33les wrote: »
    can all updates be done with a midband connection
    yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

I personally have no interest in card sharing but I am curious to know if most people who do it use friends cards or buy them online?

Friends are great :) Proper CS is a hobby. You should not pay for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Can you leave channels out and put Saorview channels in? I'm using mine as FTA.

Autobouquets has an option for FTA only - i use that and then the web interface to edit the bouquets - the ITVs Channel 4s and Channel 5s need moving around imho, as well as putting the Saorviews where you want them to be.
    The problem with this is that you have to edit the list (5-10 min job) every time you run Autobouquets

• Advertisement

bappelbe wrote: »
    Autobouquets has an option for FTA only - i use that and then the web interface to edit the bouquets - the ITVs Channel 4s and Channel 5s need moving around imho, as well as putting the Saorviews where you want them to be.
    The problem with this is that you have to edit the list (5-10 min job) every time you run Autobouquets

Cheers

What's the web interface you mention? Drembox edit?

Cheers

What's the web interface you mention? Drembox edit?

The web interface of the box that you set in plugins->web interface

http//ipaddressofbox:port

The web interface of the box that you set in plugins->web interface

http//ipaddressofbox:port

I never set it up - it was just there, I put the ip of the Enigma2 machine into a browser and up it comes.
    Use the "Bouquets Editor" option on the left hand side of the screen.

this can also be used to view streamed channels from your box

I never set it up - it was just there, I put the ip of the Enigma2 machine into a browser and up it comes.
    Use the "Bouquets Editor" option on the left hand side of the screen.

this can also be used to view streamed channels from your box

I had to set mine up as i didn't want it using that default port 80

Yes, VLC will play them on your pc and laptop. Get the Dreamdroid app (not sure of Apple app) and you can do same on your phone, VLC app plays them there too.

Learn something new every day!

If you read the "readme" file in autobouquets you will never need to use web interface to edit bouquets. Just use the customtxt file and autobouquets will remember what you have edited and not rearrange them when it runs again. Add saorview channels to favourites bouquet and delete the first bouquet that is auto generated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭mustang68

Hello,

I've been having a problem that I've been told might be better answered in this thread rather then where it was and was wondering could I get some help.

The short version:
    When I do a terrestrial scan all I can find is 18 test channels "Seirbhis Thrialach".

The Long version:
    When i built the box up first following the guide by Pog, everything was great, except when I did a terrestrial scan, all it could find were those test channels, I was set to Europe DVB-T. After about a day of rebooting and checking cables the scan finally found the 19 saorview ones and I was happy. After a few days the box had to be rebuilt (vlc seemed to crash the box and when it came back I had sound, but the picture was the splash screen and the remote didn't work) and I had the same problem again, took about a day of rescanning until it stopped finding the test channels and found the right ones.
    Yesterday I was having a look though the menu options and did a network scan, and that crashed the box in the same way, so I needed to start from scratch again, and I still have the same problem, that it can't find the saorview channels on a scan. What gets to me is that when it does finally find them they are there and working fine.

So I'm asking for a 1) bit of help to figure out what is going on with the scan and 2)is anyone else experiencing these kind of lock ups?

Thanks

mustang68 wrote: »
    Hello,

I've been having a problem that I've been told might be better answered in this thread rather then where it was and was wondering could I get some help.

The short version:
    When I do a terrestrial scan all I can find is 18 test channels "Seirbhis Thrialach".

The Long version:
    When i built the box up first following the guide by Pog, everything was great, except when I did a terrestrial scan, all it could find were those test channels, I was set to Europe DVB-T. After about a day of rebooting and checking cables the scan finally found the 19 saorview ones and I was happy. After a few days the box had to be rebuilt (vlc seemed to crash the box and when it came back I had sound, but the picture was the splash screen and the remote didn't work) and I had the same problem again, took about a day of rescanning until it stopped finding the test channels and found the right ones.
    Yesterday I was having a look though the menu options and did a network scan, and that crashed the box in the same way, so I needed to start from scratch again, and I still have the same problem, that it can't find the saorview channels on a scan. What gets to me is that when it does finally find them they are there and working fine.

So I'm asking for a 1) bit of help to figure out what is going on with the scan and 2)is anyone else experiencing these kind of lock ups?

Thanks

I had to use "Italy DVB-T" settings and bandwidth 8mhz as per previous post but I am not sure why that worked and others didn't

I also get lots of crashes in plugins - VLC crashes the box, I have had problems with the media player stopping half way through a recording (though not all recordings) and as for the enhanced media player, I can't figure out how to start it (another poster reported the same problem)
    I am thinking of reflashing soon so that might help things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

If you know or can find out which terrestrial mast you're working off, then maybe just try scanning that specific frequency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭mustang68

I had to use "Italy DVB-T" settings and bandwidth 8mhz as per previous post but I am not sure why that worked and others didn't

That worked!! I set it to Italy and rescanned, it found everything, thanks very much I'm a happy camper now :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement