Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

jjdela wrote: »

The box has become unusable with Hyperion. I'm on a GM Triplex so maybe that is the issue but other that I don't know.

Hyperion is designed primarily for the Triplex so that wouldnt be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

jjdela wrote: »
    box has become unusable with Hyperion. I'm on a GM Triplex so maybe that is the issue but other that I don't know. The AR-P image worked great other than the HD jitter.

I am glad to hear that i am not the only one having problems with Hyperion. The fact that its a gm triplex shouldn't matter as it has the exact same hardware as the amiko.

For the moment i am back on spark, watching tv right now in fact. Sure its not as fancy but it works. My first two weeks with this box i have spent more time configuring images, trying to setup enigma2, then actually watching TV.

I will keep up to date with developments on enigma2 but i am going to stick to spark so i can actually watch tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Bought one of these boxes and have managed to install Championc Hyperion2 image and all so good out of the box.

With regards to the emu plugin and how to set that up to maximize the use of the box, it there a newbies guide how to do this? My brother has the HDMU satstation image and has it going on his but when we tried to do the same thing on mine we didn't get it going.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

smee again wrote: »
    Sorry, I see on re-reading you were refering to usb flash drives, not internal flash. I have mine saving to usb hard drive, it does not spin up for channel changes.

I'm sure they're meant to be in a folder not root

Can this be done within settings on champinoc's Hyperion-2 image (i.e. point it to the usb?) or does it require a manual change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Can this be done within settings on champinoc's Hyperion-2 image (i.e. point it to the usb?) or does it require a manual change?

Requires a change, cut the two files and paste them into a folder called enigma2 and point the e2upgrade plugin to that folder with red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I streamed a SD local soccer game from the box at the weekend there with the new image and it worked great. Really delighted with the box so far.

Sometimes I do find a channel will get a little jumpy if left on for a while, normally changing channel and back again sorts it, anyone else getting this? (Not the Judder thing, maybe if its left on the channel for 30mins)

And what type of storage do people recommend for this? I dont think I would be overly interested in recording, although maybe the missus would be. What size of storage do people have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

I streamed a SD local soccer game from the box at the weekend there with the new image and it worked great. Really delighted with the box so far.

Sometimes I do find a channel will get a little jumpy if left on for a while, normally changing channel and back again sorts it, anyone else getting this? (Not the Judder thing, maybe if its left on the channel for 30mins)

And what type of storage do people recommend for this? I dont think I would be overly interested in recording, although maybe the missus would be. What size of storage do people have

Lets call it channel Sticking - and so yes, i sometimes get it too.

I have a 500GB USB HDD and it's absolutely buckets for any amount of stuff I want to record.

I've noticed on some channels that if you bring up the info bar it starts glitching like mad but as soon as the info bar is removed its fine again.Very odd.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Zardoz wrote: »
    I've noticed on some channels that if you bring up the info bar it starts glitching like mad but as soon as the info bar is removed its fine again.Very odd.

Change to 1080i to see if helps

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    Check CrossEPG that you only have the OpenTV Provider for Astra 28.2 selected (Setup > CrossEPG). Then go into Download Now followed by Force EPG Reload

Worked a treat :)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Airplayer anyone? I understand you need a premium key,

I don't get the airplay icon on my phone,

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I have a 500GB USB HDD and it's absolutely buckets for any amount of stuff I want to record.

Are ye using permanent timeshift?

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Are ye using permanent timeshift?

No, but I daren't not have Corrie recorded. Thank god for AutoTimer :)

I have noticed a slight bug on Hyperion when recording programs with Ac3 audio.
    When you play it back through the tv there is no audio ,you have to manually select Mpeg Audio to get any audio to play .If you then select AC3 audio it will play that.
    Very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Have you set it to "prefer AC3" ? I think it's under languages in the settings menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭mustang68

I have championc's excellent hyperion 2 image, while the time on the guide is perfect the time on the VFD is incorrect, not just the wrong timezone but off completely.

I've tried syncing the clock and messing with the vfd settings and rebooting. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

mustang68 wrote: »
    I have championc's excellent hyperion 2 image, while the time on the guide is perfect the time on the VFD is incorrect, not just the wrong timezone but off completely.

I've tried syncing the clock and messing with the vfd settings and rebooting. Anyone have any ideas?
    Put the box into deep standby should fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Hi all,

I am on an old Open AR-P image from Championc and now try his Hyperion2.
    I put the 2 files in enigma2 directory of my USB key and select ENIGMA -> FACT after booting

The box starts to flash it seems, with flashing U LD and counting to E299

But after 2 minutes display says U LD without flashing and nothing happens

How do I upgrade from Open AR-P to Hyperion2?
    It might be too late now as I can not boot. Probably better would be better to ask how to install Hyperion :)

Go back into spark and use the e2upgrade plugin to flash Enigma

Thanks for that, it seems Spark is not working either now.

Weird, it boots, jumps to HD resolution and then red light comes on in the display on the box.

I will try to flash a Spark image via FORC -> SPARK -> FACT

• Advertisement

Have you set it to "prefer AC3" ? I think it's under languages in the settings menu.

Yes I tried that but unfortunately it made no difference.

Wcool wrote: »
    Thanks for that, it seems Spark is not working either now.

Weird, it boots, jumps to HD resolution and then red light comes on in the display on the box.

I will try to flash a Spark image via FORC -> SPARK -> FACT

Weird, what happens when you hold ok and then arrow up to select Spark and press OK? You may need the rescue image, it's been posted here before.

That's what I did, I will download the rescue image.

it's marked at 1.50. I wonder if I have to reflash 1.54 boot upgrade after that. I presume not.

Probably what i did wrong was I did not select ENIGMA2 from boot when I tried to flash HYperion2
    I probably pressed FORC -> FACT

Or you can't install Hypersion2 via this method, quite frankly I can't follow it anymore with all the ROMS and instructions flying around

Well I don't know what I did, but it came back in Spark 1.51 (I think that was the boot upgrade) without reflashing rescue.
    All data gone, I reflashed to 1.68 and am scanning the satellite channels now.

How do I go here to Hyperion2? I think e2image plugin has been installed (I will double check it is the latest version)

Update: all done, Hyperion seems to work! Thanks for the tips

Wcool wrote: »
    Well I don't know what I did, but it came back in Spark 1.51 (I think that was the boot upgrade) without reflashing rescue.
    All data gone, I reflashed to 1.68 and am scanning the satellite channels now.

How do I go here to Hyperion2? I think e2image plugin has been installed (I will double check it is the latest version)

You do not need the latest Spark firmware, the one you need to flash is the 1.51 from here,9it contains the boot upgrade: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86879005&postcount=40

If you don;t have the e2upgrade plugin you'll need to FTP it across and reboot
    http://www.lavatronics.co.uk/forum/f254-spark-addons-plugins-amiko-alien-alien-2/spark-oscam-mcas-e2upgrade-plugin-pack-17797/

Did i read before that the box can be hard drive fussy? I'll be buying one myself soon, i just thought i read something about that, maybe it was the usb key that the box can be fussy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I'm running Hyperion2 with the judder fix upgrade. I've been having problem with pay channels in that after anything from 10 min to 1 hr without changing channel, the channel will start judder severely & it will freeze if I leave it.
    fix is to switch to another channel temporarily & back. I recorded a film approx 2 hrs & was OK, no freeze.
    I've been trying different oscam versions to see it fixes it but no joy so far.
    Looks like related to oscam - I'm using plugs to 3G router to meteor. I've noticed even though my internet speed is ok, ping test has increased significantly lately - was in around 80 to 120 ms now can be 5/600 ms.
    I've reinstalled image twice to verify image not corrupted.
    Has anyone else seen this? Or any suggestions on what else to try.
    Thought was at stage of stb was robust & fully passed the Mrs test but this bug is annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

You have answered your own question Big Wex.

500 to 600ms is the problem. That is the cause of the lag.

STB wrote: »
    You have answered your own question Big Wex.

500 to 600ms is the problem. That is the cause of the lag.

Is there any way compensate for this to stop the freeze? Apart from been contract tied, I've the best internet access possible in my area, ( I've tried them all at this stage).

Mobile broadband is very poor for Oscam, i always insist on customers having real broadband that's always on and low ping.

• Advertisement

Is there any way compensate for this to stop the freeze? Apart from been contract tied, I've the best internet access possible in my area, ( I've tried them all at this stage).

You will have to identify what is causing the extremely high ping. Its normally tied to reception. You could try using a broadband outdoor antenna if you are stuck with 3g. If may get your ping times down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

thanks flex. i only saw your reply to my problem now.

You will have to identify what is causing the extremely high ping. Its normally tied to reception. You could try using a broadband outdoor antenna if you are stuck with 3g. If may get your ping times down.

I haven't tried it, might give Mgcamd a go.
    Probably look into finding an antenna to try improve reception also.

I haven't tried it, might give Mgcamd a go.
    Probably look into finding an antenna to try improve reception also.

Where are you in Wexford ? Just tested my ping and its 79ms (mind you that's not 3g broadband).

Test your Ping from the laptop. It shouldn't vary wildly from the box.

http://www.speedtest.net

If its as high as you say, changing a softcam will not help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Having strange problem with Hyperion2 image. Uploaded the firmware and the box boots up in to enigma OS.

Problem is that HDMI doesn't want to work and nor does the audio. Can get picture on scart (with no sound) but any hdmi settings don't want to work. TV is a panasonic that will do 1080p. HDMI works fine on Spark OS. Can stream video fine from the box. Anyone else have similar issue?

No problem here with 1080p and 50hz refresh rate - and on a G20B Panny too.

Lads is anyone still in contact with Pog?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Lads is anyone still in contact with Pog?

I was never in 'contact' with him, but i have seen his name pop up on the linux sat support forum from time to time.

Having strange problem with Hyperion2 image. Uploaded the firmware and the box boots up in to enigma OS.

Problem is that HDMI doesn't want to work and nor does the audio. Can get picture on scart (with no sound) but any hdmi settings don't want to work. TV is a panasonic that will do 1080p. HDMI works fine on Spark OS. Can stream video fine from the box. Anyone else have similar issue?

Turn the Amiko on after TV. IE leave TV on, turn box off at switch, turn box on and wait. HDCP issue from your description.

• Advertisement

No problem here with 1080p and 50hz refresh rate - and on a G20B Panny too.

Do you find the Hyperion image dull on the G20B as its a plasma ?

I am finding a huge difference in HD picture between Spark and Enigma 2 on my 50" Panasonic ST50.
    Spark HD is vibrant and looks great but E2 is dull and lacking punch .

I found this online which explains the inferior E2 picture quality.
    As far as STI boxes are concerned, the difference of original software vs enigma2 software lies in the drivers used. Drivers of original software use STAPI, an API for communicating with hardware from STi. Enigma2 is not STAPI compatible, so other drivers are used that conform to DVBAPI. DVBAPI drivers for STi boxes are based to an unsupported project called "Havana" from STi. The source code of this project was leaked and most DVBAPI drivers for STi boxes are based on these sources. However, the quality of these drivers is much worse than the STAPi drivers, and thus the lower image quality in E2.Broadcom chipset picture quality is indeed lower than STi or Sigma solutions with original drivers."

I am going to sell the Triplex on as the HD picture quality just isnt good enough for my set ,a real pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Hi Folks

I have just started using the autobouquets plug-in and have a question about swapping channels. I have it set up to create Republic of Ireland HD Bouquets. When I open the autobouquets.csv file I notice that two channels are numbered 102... BBC 2 England and RTE 2 HD. In my Free-to-Air Bouquet I have...
    102 140-4seven
    103 141-BBC One HD
    104 142-BBC Two HD
    105 143-BBC2 NI
    106 145-Challenge
    BBC 2 England ends up in the Other Bouquet in the Extra Channels section. Does anyone know what changes do I need to make to custom_swap.txt and/or supplement.txt so I can swap BBC2 England with BBC2 NI? I tried but it seems to get confused because two channels are numbered 102.

I'm thinking of somehow using the supplement.txt file to delete the BBC2 England channel and then add it back to another currently unoccupied channel number that's not 102 and then use the swap file to swap it with BBC2 NI... 143=[new channel num for BBC2 England]

Failing that I could just set Autobouquets to create UK only Bouquets and created my own favourites category for the Irish channels from the terrestrial feed? Sorry if I've answered my own question!

Flex

I am finding a huge difference in HD picture between Spark and Enigma 2 on my 50" Panasonic ST50.

I am going to sell the Triplex on as the HD picture quality just isnt good enough for my set ,a real pity.

My Panny G20B is an LCD because it's 37"

I just tried comparing BBC1 HD and there wasn't a massive difference. The annoying difference is with the sound levels.

Yeah picture is much better on the spark side of things, I have the the same tv only the 40 inch version. Everything is better on the spark side of things apart from the channel management.

Not sure what you are going to do, according to most forums that I read the spark side of the triplex has better picture quality than most boxes. So you are going to be disappointed no matter what box you go with.

As for me, I am staying on the spark side of things despite it's poor epg and really poor channel organisation. I will keep the box and hope that spark gets better.

The annoying difference is with the sound levels.

Yeah what gives with that? It's really annoying. For me most channels are too quiet when I am using enigma2 if I am using NAR. If I change to mpeg it's perfect but on some channels there is narration for the visually impaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Turn the Amiko on after TV. IE leave TV on, turn box off at switch, turn box on and wait. HDCP issue from your description.

Thanks.
    I would have done that, spent along time messing about, trying different cables, different hdmi inputs, uploaded firmware two different ways. Could be HDCP, now that I think of it I had problems getting xbox360 to work on this tv with HDMI. But Spark OS works fine and other sat boxes

Have a projector with HDMI input I'll do a test it

Edit: No luck with projector HDMI either. Guess I'll try a different firmware next

• Advertisement

My Panny G20B is an LCD because it's 37"

I just tried comparing BBC1 HD and there wasn't a massive difference. The annoying difference is with the sound levels.

Oh,sorry i thought the G20B was a plasma.
    You probably wouldnt notice the difference in picture quality as much so.

I watched Spark for a while earlier and the difference in quality between the HD channels was very noticeable,its almost as if the HD channels on E2 look a lower resolution ,its very noticeable on the movie channels and the HD documentary channels.
    Not sure what you are going to do, according to most forums that I read the spark side of the triplex has better picture quality than most boxes. So you are going to be disappointed no matter what box you go with.

Well I can go back to my Dm800 for the time being and perhaps get a Gigablue or Vu+ twin tuner .
    My main reason for getting a Triplex was because it meant I could watch one satellite channel and record another .
    I can always use the Triplex in a bedroom on a smaller set .

I have a custom bouquet made but a couple of the channels changed frequency last week.

I rescanned on my AA2 and all channels now working but when I load back in my custom bouquet it loads in the old frequency and those same channels don't work again.

Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I have a custom bouquet made but a couple of the channels changed frequency last week.

I rescanned on my AA2 and all channels now working but when I load back in my custom bouquet it loads in the old frequency and those same channels don't work again.

Ideas?

I have used the custom.txt (called custom_swap.txt on championc's hyperion image) to modify the entertainment bouquet when autobouquets was run.
    My version needs work as the newer version leaves some duplication and some gaps.

FlexMcMurphy asks a question above which might help (if it is answered)

Well I managed to improve the picture dramatically by simply changing the color balance on the tv,a Panasonic St50.
    I changed it from Warm to Normal and that brightened up the picture alot and made the colours more vibrant and natural unlike the dull picture before.
    Enigma 2 seems to output a very low colour balance ,whites look cream, its much darker than Spark .

The only drawback with the low colour balance is that I cant really use the Tv's optimum setting True Cinema mode as that has a fixed Warm balance.
    It looks like you are watching the tv through tinted glasses.

I can however use Cinema mode and that is very good too .
    Picture looks very good now, probably better than the Dm800 I previously used so well chuffed.
    Hopefully this will be of help to other people with similar sets.

Hey Zardoz, can't live with it but can't live without it either :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement