Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Need some advice. What is the cheapest combo linux option receiver out there? Don't really need triple tuners. Ive had a quick look at Amiko and Golden media.

I prefer linux, for the ease of streaming to a laptop and the adding of bouquets.

If the worse comes to the worse, i could get the original Ailen with a single tuner and a cheap DVBT stb.

I need it to replace an ageing DM 500 in the bedroom.

I came across this, Amiko HD-8840, but i dont think this is linux?
    http://www.amikostb.com/?q=product&id=181

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Zardoz wrote: »
    I see PKT are testing Hyperion 3 at the moment ,great news.

Anywhere I can see plannef improvements etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

snaps wrote: »
    Need some advice. What is the cheapest combo linux option receiver out there? Don't really need triple tuners. Ive had a quick look at Amiko and Golden media.

I prefer linux, for the ease of streaming to a laptop and the adding of bouquets.

If the worse comes to the worse, i could get the original Ailen with a single tuner and a cheap DVBT stb.

Be on the lookout on adverts, I managed to get a nearly new golden media Triplex for just over €100 a few months back. Better to have 3 tuners and not need them than not have them and need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

The 8840 is not open, it's a proprietary software. It is a decent box though if you're willing to update channels

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

i've a dm500 also & looking for possible replacement should it give up. Seen cloud ibox going for around €100, runs on E2, it's a VU+ solo clone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

@snaps

Amiko/GM Triplex's are ported versions of E2. You cannot compare them with true Linux images based on Broadcom Chipsets.

To answer your question about a linux combo with DVB-T and DVB-S2. The Gigablue 800SE/UE and Plus range is what you could look at.

There are 2 different versions. The 800SE/UE and the 800SE/UE PLus.

The originals run @ 333MHZ. The Plus run at 750+MHZ. so faster processor. The UE is the Colour LCD on front. The SE the normal display.

The original combos are about €160/€170. The Plus versions are €229. There is about €15 in difference between the UE and SE in both ranges. There is a thread on them in the foreign satellite forum.

Vix etc is available for the original range but not yet available for Plus range which run ATV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

i've a dm500 also & looking for possible replacement should it give up. Seen cloud ibox going for around €100, runs on E2, it's a VU+ solo clone.

Have they started shipping these now with the fan. Originals did not have a fan and had overheating problems....... Cloud are cloned type hardware, so image compatibility is not guaranteed for the future.

has anyone tried XBMC PVR front end/Live TV with their Amiko Alien 2 ?
    I have read that the VU+ add-on works well.

If so how does it perform?

Would it be good enough say to use in a second room?

I was thinking of trying it on a Raspberry Pi running Openelec to see if it might save me having to but another stb for a bedroom.

I have a CAT6 cable installation in all rooms so I might be able to pull this off, or I am missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

A lot of satellite channels on Astra 28.2E seem to be changing their frequencies lately. But also the configuration of the satellite transponders they are broadcast from.

Try downloading a new satellites.xml which has the latest transponder info updated daily.

You could also use the info from LyngSat to see which transponders your missing channels are meant to be on and then go in to Spark/Enigma2 to see if they are set up correctly then re-scan.

Flex
    Ireverent I have a very similar problem with my box with both spark and e2 but only on tuner 2 it cant recieve channels on the vertical transponders but horizontals are ok I think the tuner is faulty because ive reset it and its still the same

Thanks for the suggestions Flex. I'll try the Lyngsat option first and if that doesn't work will try the new satellites xml.

Satellite man maybe you should try the same. It sounds like a similar problem you're having and we couldn't both have faulty tuners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

STB wrote: »
    Have they started shipping these now with the fan. Originals did not have a fan and had overheating problems....... Cloud are cloned type hardware, so image compatibility is not guaranteed for the future.

I wouldnt touch one of those Cloud boxes,the housing is too small and the units overheat and become unreliable.
    Not worth the savings as you will only be tearing your hair out .

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »

I was thinking of trying it on a Raspberry Pi running Openelec to see if it might save me having to but another stb for a bedroom.

I have a CAT6 cable installation in all rooms so I might be able to pull this off, or I am missing something?

I have it working but it's very slow and clunky on my Atom powered HTPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

Ireverent I have double checked the frequencys affected and everything works perfectly with tuner 1 both horizontals and verticals and also none of the bbcs itvs or channel 4 channels have changed frequencys it seems to point to a problem with tuner 2

Ireverent I have double checked the frequencys affected and everything works perfectly with tuner 1 both horizontals and verticals and also none of the bbcs itvs or channel 4 channels have changed frequencys it seems to point to a problem with tuner 2

Could be an lnb voltage issue too,I have seen verticals not work on other linux receivers before so i changed the lnb output at the dish to a different one and it worked fine .Worth a try .

STB wrote: »
    @snaps

Amiko/GM Triplex's are ported versions of E2. You cannot compare them with true Linux images based on Broadcom Chipsets.

To answer your question about a linux combo with DVB-T and DVB-S2. The Gigablue 800SE/UE and Plus range is what you could look at.

There are 2 different versions. The 800SE/UE and the 800SE/UE PLus.

The originals run @ 333MHZ. The Plus run at 750+MHZ. so faster processor. The UE is the Colour LCD on front. The SE the normal display.

The original combos are about €160/€170. The Plus versions are €229. There is about €15 in difference between the UE and SE in both ranges. There is a thread on them in the foreign satellite forum.

Vix etc is available for the original range but not yet available for Plus range which run ATV.

great reply, thanks. I'm used to dreamboxes (clones) on the Linux front. How would the ailen triple tuner compare to a dm800? That's what im using downstairs, I could move that to the bedroom and use an ailen downstairs. Can you stream from an ailen?

Irreverent wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions Flex. I'll try the Lyngsat option first and if that doesn't work will try the new satellites xml.

Satellite man maybe you should try the same. It sounds like a similar problem you're having and we couldn't both have faulty tuners.

new satellite.xml files worked for me.

How would the ailen triple tuner compare to a dm800? That's what im using downstairs,

I had a Dm800 before I had a Triplex .
    First of all the Triplex is a much faster box due to the faster cpu .
    It boots much quicker ,~70 secs whereas the Dm800 takes over 3 minutes.
    Cross Epg takes much less time to download on the Triplex and plugins run much quicker in general.

The Dm800 is a fine receiver ,I was using it with a USB DVB-T tuner and it served me well for years.I was running an older Dream Elite Phoenix Image but it was very stable.
    My main reason for switching to the Triplex was I needed a twin sat tuner .

It still has a few flaws ,the audio levels on channels can vary a bit which is annoying but overall I and more importantly the wife ,who has seamlessly made the transition,are very happy with the Triplex and Hyperion 2 is very stable on it ,the only time I've had a lock up was when I was using TSMedia which is unreliable on any receiver at the best of times.

Swap cables see what happens.

smee again wrote: »
    I have it working but it's very slow and clunky on my Atom powered HTPC

Have you tried different pvr add ons or six of one,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

I have an Equiso (google it !!) in the kitchen TV, streaming using wi-fi from the AA2 located under the main TV in the Living Room.

You could attach an ethernet to usb adapter to it via a usb hub

championc wrote: »
    I have an Equiso (google it !!) in the kitchen TV, streaming using wi-fi from the AA2 located under the main TV in the Living Room.

You could attach an ethernet to usb adapter to it via a usb hub

Are you just using the browser on the Equiso and connecting via Webif ?

The reason I asked about XBMC specifically is because the Livetv menu option looks sleek (picons etc brought over from stb), and it would be nice to get a solid clear picture and responsive channel change, but reading Smee's post I am not inspired especially as I was looking to use a Pi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

Could be an lnb voltage issue too,I have seen verticals not work on other linux receivers before so i changed the lnb output at the dish to a different one and it worked fine .Worth a try .

That actually makes sense in my situation Zardoz as I had a crappy old fta box tuned in on this satellite and the channels tuned in without a problem.

When I try to remove plugins on Hyperion 2 by pressing the red button it says no new plugins found ,is this a bug or do other people encounter the same issue ?

The reason I asked about XBMC specifically is because the Livetv menu option looks sleek (picons etc brought over from stb), and it would be nice to get a solid clear picture and responsive channel change, but reading Smee's post I am not inspired especially as I was looking to use a Pi.

No. It's an Android stick so uses DreamDroid and then VLC

No. It's an Android stick so uses DreamDroid and then VLC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Try this app on an android device. It works perfectly with VU+ and Gigablue. Maybe it works with Amiko too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vuplus.vuplusplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I wouldnt touch one of those Cloud boxes,the housing is too small and the units overheat and become unreliable.
    Not worth the savings as you will only be tearing your hair out .

I've heard about the issues with the ibox without the fan, I thought the fix was to get unit with heatsink & fan installed on CPU.
    Your probably right, don't seem that popular.
    Probably look more into it if one of my other boxes went tits up ( openbox & DM500). I like E2 & would try get a cheap E2 box when this happens.

I've heard about the issues with the ibox without the fan, I thought the fix was to get unit with heatsink & fan installed on CPU.

There is a new version 3 of the cloud box which has a built in fan and runs cooler so that may be an option allright.

I'm a bit confused by all this talk of volume issues on the AA2, for those running my Hyperion image. Has nobody messed about with the AutoVolumeAdjustment plugin that I included ? Works a treat

In case you missed it, it's in Menu > Setup > System.

On a normal channel, set the volume on the box half way down. In the plugin, set the Default Volume Adjustment Level to 50. When you change to a HD channel, the volume will be increased to compensate for it's lower volume level thereby giving you much the same level for all channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I have the Enigma Live TV Xbmc app on my main HTPC. Streams perfectly from the Alien 2, so much so that I've now removed my sat card from the HTPC completely.
    I'm running mine over wire using powerline adapters,so hardwired CAT6 should be even better.

• Advertisement

Speaking of volume issues, I'm still running Championc's old PKT image and sometimes when I switch to a channel (usually a $ HD) it won't play any sound. If I press the red button, select another audio stream (eg MPEG NAR) sound will come back. I then repeat the process to choose the AC3 stream and it plays back fine.
    Anyone else have this quirk?

Nforce wrote: »
    I have the Enigma Live TV Xbmc app on my main HTPC. Streams perfectly from the Alien 2, so much so that I've now removed my sat card from the HTPC completely.
    I'm running mine over wire using powerline adapters,so hardwired CAT6 should be even better.

Enigma Live app?? Is that a custom install or part of the apps that come with a XBMC install??

It's the VU+/Enigma 2 client.

Speaking of volume issues, I'm still running Championc's old PKT image and sometimes when I switch to a channel (usually a $ HD) it won't play any sound. If I press the red button, select another audio stream (eg MPEG NAR) sound will come back. I then repeat the process to choose the AC3 stream and it plays back fine.

There is a setting somewhere called prefer AC3 track, not at the box, I think it's in auto languages, it'sw where you select subtitle languages

smee again wrote: »
    There is a setting somewhere called prefer AC3 track, not at the box, I think it's in auto languages, it'sw where you select subtitle languages

Yep. I have this set already.
    I intermittently get this issue despite having AC3 set as default.

I used to have that issue when playing back recordings with ac3 audio when I was using a usb flash drive but it disappeared when I switched to a USB Hard Drive.
    I havent encountered the issue with live tv though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 jor428

hi all.

I changed to a new skin on my enigma 2 box. However when i enter 'menu' and then press 'setup' the box crashes and enters a reboot state. it comes back ok. Is there any way that i can go back to the previous skin without the menu-setup onscreen buttons. The skin i have is not great. Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ive only read bits of this thread, and there seems to be alot going on! Thinking about purchasing one of these on Ebay. I am looking to set up a basic system to get up to the Xmas period, where I will have a few weeks to mess around with the box.

I have my TV Attena for Saorview, my sky cable for Freeview and my network point for accessing my Media content.

Is there any huge effort required to set my Saorview, FreeView and media content (currently windows Vista PC with serviio media server).

Setting up for recording would be a plus, but would cope until I got some free time to do it.

LowOdour wrote: »
    Ive only read bits of this thread, and there seems to be alot going on! Thinking about purchasing one of these on Ebay. I am looking to set up a basic system to get up to the Xmas period, where I will have a few weeks to mess around with the box.

I have my TV Attena for Saorview, my sky cable for Freeview and my network point for accessing my Media content.

Is there any huge effort required to set my Saorview, FreeView and media content (currently windows Vista PC with serviio media server).

Setting up for recording would be a plus, but would cope until I got some free time to do it.
    Relatively little set up required if you flash one of championcs images. Majority of things will be ready to go. You'll need to rescan for the Saorview channels assuming your not in the same area as he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I have xbmc on ouya and windows pc, can these platforms be used ?
    Will it stream HD channels or is it just sd ?

phobia2011 wrote: »
    I have xbmc on ouya and windows pc, can these platforms be used ?
    Will it stream HD channels or is it just sd ?

If the above app is available to the ouya I don't see why not. My htpc is windows based. All channels stream perfectly,but a wired network would be necessary for the high data passthrough of HD streams.

• Advertisement

Will stream HD if wired. Not great on wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Hi ,
    Can someone give some details on streaming to xbmc. I tried this early in march with a earlier hdmu image back in march and it was unreliable. So info on yoour setupwould be good I.e.
    Alien 2 e2 image and configuration
    Xbmc or openelec xbmc setup including add ons and if using any headend or client setup.
    Best regards and thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Aas hopibg for specifics to alien 2 and images used. I have been down this before and had only kimited ubstable succes.
    Again alien 2 abd if possible openelec xbmc.

I'm using Championc's old image (link was posted in this thread a few pages back iirc).
    Once the Vu+/Enigma 2 app is enabled in XBMC just configure it as mentioned in the wiki link above...ie IP address,port (and login info if you have these enabled in the Alien 2 Webif app).

Weird...

I had my Raspberry Pi working with Amiko using Vu++ Enigma2 add on but now it will only play the channel audio?

Is it that I need to buy a license for the Pi for the codecs being used?

But how did it work before and not now?

gonna scratch my Pi setup and re-install to see if its a bug rather than a restriction.

A lad in work likes my bouquet (that sounds weird) .
    Is there a way to simply copy mine onto his via FTP ?

A lad in work likes my bouquet (that sounds weird) .
    Is there a way to simply copy mine onto his via FTP ?

Might be an easier way but you could load them up in dreambox edit, save them and then send that file to him so he can push them onto his box via dreambox edit

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Might be an easier way but you could load them up in dreambox edit, save them and then send that file to him so he can push them onto his box via dreambox edit

You know what would be easier is if I just flashed my image onto his.

Its a new box he has and I was going to flash with champs hyperion image, update for the judder fix etc, but if I just flashed mine onto his then I would kill many birds with the one stone.

How do I grab a copy of my image?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

How do I grab a copy of my image?

Boot up in spark and backup enigma there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement