Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[NSFW] **** society

• 21-07-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

**** society. Just seen this and have lost all respect for everything. **** this ****

Linky

Ps. Yes i know it is over a year old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Terrible photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hasn't the American soilders been caught in situations like this for years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

You'd swear he was holdin a trophy stag in that pic
    Fcukin Americans are disgusting that's a child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What are we looking at... before I click it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and what happened before that picture?

was that kid trying to attack the soldiers?
    was his father trying to attack the soldiers?
    or did the us military just send some troops on foot to somebodys farm to **** **** up and take photographs?

also adbusters.org
    rofl
    indymedia types

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Won't open on my phone, judging by comments I'm glad. Might be worth putting a warning before the link.

Edit: NM its added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

mikom wrote: »
    What are we looking at... before I click it?

American soldier grinning as he kneels over a dead Afghan boy.

There's an article too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Its not very nice. Solider posing with his trophy (young guy lying dead beeing held up by smiling soilder)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    American soldier grinning as he kneels over a dead Afghan boy.

There's an article too.

No need for me to click it so.......... thanks.

*Awaits the arrival of the "Captain America" defenders from the Batman shooting thread.*

It's probably ok anyways as the soldier was in uniform...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

hint: people have been doing things like this and far far worse things since time began. If that angers you then you'll probably have a septic fit if you new what really goes on in this world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

or did the us military just send some troops on foot to somebodys farm to **** **** up and take photographs?

also adbusters.org
    rofl
    indymedia types

Exactly..we don't know what context the picture was taken in. If the dead guy was shooting at me/planting an IED with the intent of killing me or my comrades I'd have no qualms about killing him first. However, posing for photos afterwards with the "kill" is more than a little f**ked up and that should be dealt with by his superior officers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

also adbusters.org
    rofl
    indymedia types

I dont care what happened before that photo. America isn't on there home soil. They are killing poeple in another country. If afganastan or (insert country that America/britin invidaded) people went and did that in america they would be labled as terrorist and locked up and tourchered.

America will say that it is the 'war on terror' but how many people have died in america as a result of terrosim? I dont know but how many people have america killed trying to stop terrosim. Millions.

Call it terror on terror or war on war. Not war on terror bucouse that isn't what it is.

Either way even if killing that child was 100% justified (which it isn't and under no circumstances is justified), it isn't a prise to smile and laugh about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

obviously something that justifies the picture according to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Why are you blaming this on society? You have lost respect for everything and everyone because of one pumped up moron?! A bit of balance may be required OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

**** society. Just seen this and have lost all respect for everything. **** this ****

If that made you lose respect for humanity then I wouldn't go looking too far into the deep web if I were you.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    If that made you lose respect for humanity then I wouldn't go looking too far into the deep web if I were you.

So is it better to ignore everything that is actully happening in the world and hope that ist goes away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

cocoshovel wrote: »
    hint: people have been doing things like this and far far worse things since time began. If that angers you then you'll probably have a septic fit if you new what really goes on in this world
    Yeah but not takin pictures of it and puttin on the web
    He probably got court marshalled for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

What angers me most about this scumbag is not only is he being extremely disrespectful to the dead, he is offering further propaganda to militants placing the lives of honest soldiers in greater danger.

This is the problem when you send mentally insecure people to war for such long deployments. It's no wonder more soldiers are dying due to PTSD related suicides than actual combat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yeah but not takin pictures of it and puttin on the web
    He probably got court marshalled for that

That nothing compared to the stuff on the web....seriously. Even with a simple google search you can find videos of 6 year old kids being beheaded with knifes, and worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

So is it better to ignore everything that is actully happening in the world and hope that ist goes away?

Nope, but if a dickhead doing a stupid thing like that is enough to anger this much then you definitely won't like to see what people do to each other and post up on the web, especially the deep web.

Whatever the context of the picture is it was still a stupid and disrespectful thing on the soldier's part to do. But it's nothing that hasn't been seen before, like what happened in the Nam war at My Lai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The US military trains its soldiers to treat the enemy as sub human. It's to ensure that the soldiers don't have any moral qualms when it comes to following orders. The side effect is that even when not following orders...even when discharged from the army, that lack of respect for others remains.

But yes, the soldier in the pic is still an asshole, albeit one that was twisted by his training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Linky

Ps. Yes i know it is over a year old

Wait till you see the video of 2 soldier's chucking a pup off into the air and down what looks like a quarry!

That will push you over the edge? :o

(No, not linking to it. Go Youtube!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anamara86

Wish I hadn't clicked on the link, absolutely disgusting, poor boy!

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Nope, but if a dickhead doing a stupid thing like that is enough to anger this much then you definitely won't like to see what people do to each other and post up on the web, especially the deep web.

Whatever the context of the picture is it was still a stupid and disrespectful thing on the soldier's part to do. But it's nothing that hasn't been seen before, like what happened in the Nam war at My Lai.

Exatly. Nam war at My Lai. Sickining. Why does society let this happen. If something similar happened in the middle east then society would call for the person in charge to stand down and face trial. sound farmilar? I dont understand why the same never happens to the leaders of 1st world countries. George bush/ obama /anyone-else that aloud the like of this to happen should be put on trial for what they aloud to happen under them. They might not have given the order but they knew enough. Just like the leader of al qaeda or anyother terrorist group would face trial for something that they might not have direct involvemnt in. They know enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

And if that soldier gets his legs blown off by an IED he'll be rushed home and branded a "hero" and probably get an interview with Ellen.
    I hate soldiers.

RMD wrote: »
    What angers me most about this scumbag is not only is he being extremely disrespectful to the dead, he is offering further propaganda to militants placing the lives of honest soldiers in greater danger.

This is the problem when you send mentally insecure people to war for such long deployments. It's no wonder more soldiers are dying due to PTSD related suicides than actual combat.

i know what you mean. I dont agree with any terrorist groups but i can more than see where they are coming from if this is how soldiers treat people in there 'host' country.

Question: What is the difference between a 'terrorist' and a 'rebel fighter'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

He's conditioned to kill without moral outrage. Its not surprising this would happen. The only thing thats changed now is that we have digital equipment that allows us to share "trophies" like this around the world instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The photo is disgusting ,stomach churning and shameful in the extreme and it's nothing new to what goes on in war zones but it's a terrible reflection on the US Army and the inhumanity and behavior of some of their soldiers ,not to mention the pain and suffering of the boys family .
    He's conditioned to kill without moral outrage. Its not surprising this would happen. The only thing thats changed now is that we have digital equipment that allows us to share "trophies" like this around the world instantly.
    Exactly , there was no internet during WW1/2 or Vietnam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why are you blaming this on society? You have lost respect for everything and everyone because of one pumped up moron?! A bit of balance may be required OP.
    Yeah it's not even Irish society but US (of course). The amount of **** the US comes up with is absolutely mindboggling.

However, it's an interesting read.
    For instance it describes a manual for US torture on its prisoners:
    Hosing a naked prisoner with water can last for 20 minutes if the water is at 5°C, 40 if it is at 10°C, and up to 60 if it is 15°C.
    Torture by immersion can last up to 12 seconds, no more than 2 hours per day, for 30 consecutive days (a particularly tough prisoner underwent this torture 183 times over, in March 2003).

torture is no longer represented as an infraction of the common norm, regrettable but excusable; it is the legal norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

America **** Yeah. Their such heroes, serving their country like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Go to liveleak and type "graphic" as your search term. That will test your stomach. Its a disgrace whats going on over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

i know what you mean. I dont agree with any terrorist groups but i can more than see where they are coming from if this is how soldiers treat people in there 'host' country.

Question: What is the difference between a 'terrorist' and a 'rebel fighter'?

A rebel fighter is supported by the West, a terrorist isn't. Personally I'd never call the Taliban rebel fighters, they're the scum of the earth trying to implement a fascist regime which has no regard for many human rights and civil liberties we consider basic.

RMD wrote: »
    A rebel fighter is supported by the West, a terrorist isn't. Personally I'd never call the Taliban rebel fighters, they're the scum of the earth trying to implement a fascist regime which has no regard for many human rights and civil liberties we consider basic.

So when a first world country invades somewhere you think that they have any notion for human right and civil liberties? Try telling that to the million odd people that britin and america have killed abroad in the last 5 years.

I always have to laugh. The likes of michael collins and others that faught for our inpendence must have been considered terrorists at the time by the united kindom. Now that we have our independence we consider them 'rebal fighters' or 'revolutionary figures' or whatever. History is always written by the victors.

So basicly the only difference between a rebel fighter and a terrorist is whos side you are on? Is that basicly what you are saying?

And if that soldier gets his legs blown off by an IED he'll be rushed home and branded a "hero" and probably get an interview with Ellen.
    I hate soldiers.
    The problem there is that one photo can and will undo the good humanitarian work that is also carried by many in the military.

Latchy wrote: »
    The problem there is that one photo can and will undo the good humanitarian work that is also carried by many in the military.

That last line was in jest. I don't hate every soldier :L I'm sure a lot of them go to the army for the right reasons but then there are the ones like the man in this picture who shouldn't even be let outside his home, nevermind his country.

• Advertisement

That last line was in jest. I don't hate every soldier :L I'm sure a lot of them go to the army for the right reasons but then there are the ones like the man in this picture who shouldn't even be let outside his home, nevermind his country.
    I totally agree .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Makes me wonder why we idolise and emulate America so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Their range of confectionery is simply out of this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Piste wrote: »
    Their range of confectionery is simply out of this world.

:eek: Was the soldier robbing sweets off the child?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Ah another America bashing thread thinly disguised as disguised as fair comment. Propaganda is alive and well.

Would it ever occur to you that the soldier's behaviour would also disgust most other Americans whether in the military or not because it doesn't reflect their moral standards?

No of course not because naturally that doesn't suit your agenda?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

It is war what do you guys expect...
    I am sure way worse happened in WW2 or any other war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why are people saying child or boy? He doesn't look that young to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

also people who are complaing should take a look at what they do to dead us soldiers
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc5_1178870947
    Look at 1:49 makes me sick

rKossi wrote: »
    also people who are complaing should take a look at what they do to dead us soldiers
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc5_1178870947
    Look at 1:49 makes me sick

Terrible as that is and all. I still think it's worse for an American to do this kind of thing on Middle eastern soil than it is for the people of the middle east to do it. These kids are obviously sick and tired of the Americans invading THEIR country. In my opinion American soldiers have no right to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Except we all know that was unlikely.
    Yeah tbh. Happened in Vietnam, don't see why it wouldn't happen again.

I'm not at all anti American btw - some are a bit too quick to assume that about those who find the picture objectionable. They're the ones bringing nationality into it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Whoever does is shouldnt be doing it, just because one did it first doesnt give someone else the right to do it or makes either ones actions acceptable.

I think the harsh reality though is that armed forces anywhere has a lot of scum in it. If it was the Irish army at war I wouldnt be confident our boys would come out looking like saints. In a war type situation the scum always floats to the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

The solders have probably seen some horriffic things and become so desensatized to death they see these "trophy shots" as a way of desplaying bravado. On the other hand though I dont know what people expect of these soldiers, to be a moral role model and efficient killers simultaniously. You can only condition a person to be one of those things as they are mutually exclusive.

There is good reason to suggest that video footage of the Iraqis kicking around the remains of a body does not belong to a US soldier because that uniform camouflage for one wasn't worn by the Americans but either way, it's nothing new in any warfare ...the footage of the US soldiers body been dragged through the streets of Mogadishu springs to mind .

I think the hate for America grows all the time.
    This doesn't help.

Advertisement