Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom internet disconnects/reconnect every 2 minutes

Options
  • 21-07-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Dear all,

Would anyone be able to help with following annoying issue.

My laptop disconnects every 2 minutes from the internet. The other computer is fine. I'm on newly installed win XP. driver for my ethernet card is up to date.

I do notice that my IP lease expires after 2 minutes. See below copy paste from ipconfig. Anyone have any idea. I use the zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-FA-62-4D-74
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 86.40.189.151
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 159.134.155.7
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 159.134.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 July 2012 15:23:53
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 21 July 2012 15:25:53

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Rory1983 wrote: »
    Dear all,

Would anyone be able to help with following annoying issue.

My laptop disconnects every 2 minutes from the internet. The other computer is fine. I'm on newly installed win XP. driver for my ethernet card is up to date.

I do notice that my IP lease expires after 2 minutes. See below copy paste from ipconfig. Anyone have any idea. I use the zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-FA-62-4D-74
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 86.40.189.151
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 159.134.155.7
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 159.134.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 July 2012 15:23:53
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 21 July 2012 15:25:53

Hi Rory1983,

This is fairly difficult to diagnose without the line details. A couple of basic things you can check are settings in the modem and laptop. Firstly, if only happening on wireless, try the laptop plugged in via ethernet cable and see if the issue is still there. If it goes away when plugged in, then we need to look at things such as the wireless channel on the modem, the wireless adapter settings and also any firewall or other security settings that could be interrupting the signal.

If the problem is still there when plugged in via ethernet then send me the line details (phone & account number) and I'll run some more detailed tests from this end to try find an issue. Also, you can contact technical support directly on 1890 260 260 if you would rather troubleshoot it 'live' over the phone. There may some other helpful info for you on our support pages here. I'm not sure on this but the "Lease obtained" and "Lease expires" lines from your ipconfig info. I ran the ipconfig /all command here and my lease is 1 week. Send on the details and we'll get some advice from technical support for you.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rory1983

thanks. I'll check wsith then network cable after work. btw that link doesn't work for me. actally i can't even get on the eircom website, other websites work.

thanks. I'll check wsith then network cable after work. btw that link doesn't work for me. actally i can't even get on the eircom website, other websites work.

Hi,

Try the suggestions and let me know. Not sure why that link doesn't work for you. Try this one instead. It goes to the main support page, you can then click into the broadband page from there.

Regards

James

hi James,

Thanks for your input. I'm now connected through cable and it works for now.

I do note that my lease now expires in 1 hour instead of 2 minutes.

I'll check if i'm be disconnected and reconnected in 1 hour when the lease expires but this is not nearly as annoying as every few minutes, but can this be a setting in the zyxell router perhaps that I can modify?

See below ipconfig print screen:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rory-629c763113
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-54-5B-1B-21
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 24 July 2012 20:57:46
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 24 July 2012 21:57:46

btw I can connect to the eircom page now i'm connected through cable.

• Advertisement

btw I can connect to the eircom page now i'm connected through cable.

Hi Rory1983,

Now since you have established a connection with the cable we can at least rule out the line as the issue. I reckon the first thing we should try is changing the wireless channel. May not be the issue but worth ruling out early. There is a guide to changing this here. If this link doesn't work, go to the main eircom page and do a search for "change wireless channel". Also, can you PM me the line details so we can check the connection/modem in some more detail.

Regards

James

Hi james,

Is there a guide on this for the zyxel router,I don't have the netopia one.

Also just fyi I had to go to IE as licking on the pictures in Google Chrome doesn't work.

Thanks,

Rory

Hi Rory,

I couldn't find a the page on our own website to change the Zyxel channels but one of our tech agents has put a post up on the eircom forum regarding this. If you click here and look to the last paragraph of this post it details the steps involved. Copy/paste of the info below (have greyed out the Netopia section):

Changing Wireless Channels on eircom Modem
    Changing the wireless channel on your modem may improve wireless signal strength.
    If you are using eircom's router /modems : Netopia (3347, 2247) or the Zyxel P660- series, please follow steps below ..
    1) Ensure you connect your yellow Ethernet cable from your computer to the modem.
    2) Open up your Internet Browser and clear the web address in the Address bar.
    3) Enter the following IP Address into the Address Bar :
    4) Press Return or Click on Goto on your Internet browser.
    * If asked for a password to access the router /modem (Zyxel), simply type : broadband1
    5a) You should see a Menu List on the left handside.
    If using the Netopia router, Select 'Wireless' /or '3D Wireless'
    Now select 'Advanced Configuration Options' (>> sergent arrows)
    On the Advanced Config Page go to 'Default Channel'
    Select any channel between 1 - 13 (for e.g : Channel 11)
    Click on the drop down menu just above this and change : 'AT STARTUP' to ** 'OFF USE DEFAULT'
    (** this will ensure when your modem restarts it will start up on the new wireless channel).
    Scroll down to the bottom of the webpage and Click on 'Save' and 'Restart the Modem'
    The new wireless channel has now been saved
    5b) You should see a Menu List on the left hand side.
    If using the eircom Zyxel router, Select 'Network' '
    Now select 'Wireless LAN'
    Under the AP tab , Go to Wireless Channels
    Select : Channel Selection and choose a different wireless channel
    Click on Apply
    The new wireless channel has now been saved

Be sure when doing this to try it on a few different channels. This will ensure that you will move away from any frequency range that might be causing problems. Also, I take it you meant to say 'clicking' below as licking the pictures might bring a risk of electrocution (sorry, couldn't resist :D) Strange about the pics not showing though. Do you use ad-block or any other add-ons in Chrome? Will pass the info to our online team anyway to investigate. Thanks for the heads up. Let me know if that changes anything for you.

Regards

James

Hi james,

Is there a guide on this for the zyxel router,I don't have the netopia one.

Also just fyi I had to go to IE as licking on the pictures in Google Chrome doesn't work.

Thanks,

Rory

Advertisement