Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement xbox?

Options
  • 21-07-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

So the DVD drive on my 4 month old 360 slim is acting up, sometimes not reading discs or even registering if its open/closed/empty/full.

I bought it in Argos so my question is are they legally obliged to give me a new one over the counter or do I have to send it to microsoft for repair?
    The MS repair portal seem to say this can take a couple of weeks frown.gif

I should add I still have the receipt and its never been damaged or had kids near it etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Argos are legally obliged to repair, replace or refund - whichever ye can agree on. I imagine they would replace a 4 month old xbox provided it's not damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

That for the advice, I'm not great at arguing my case so it's nice to know where I stand legally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Offer to take just the unit - but make sure you take everything in with you including the SCART block (everyone forgets this)! Might speed it up to the point of 'not worth the hassle arguing' for who ever you speak to.

We used to always do a I like for like swap at my old place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That for the advice, I'm not great at arguing my case so it's nice to know where I stand legally!
    Once you produce proof of purchase and the device hasn't been abused Argos don't have any discretion as to whether or not they deal with you, they must offer the 3Rs. You can accept /reject any offer and even end up bringing the case to the Small Claims court. However if you reject a reasonable offer it could go against you in the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If you took out insurance with Argos, they will replace it immediately.

If not, because it's still under warranty, I don't believe they will replace it, but will send it for repair.

I had an issue with a Kinect controller purchased in Argos. They told me that Microsoft was asking them to ask all customers to contact Microsoft directly, as they like to phone the customer and go through a fault determination procedure before accepting goods for repair.

The girl I spoke to in Argos had no issue with taking it from me, but pointed out that the turnaround time would be much quicker if I contacted Microsoft directly. I did this, they sent a courier to collect, and it took about a week to have it back repaired.

If you do contact Microsoft, ask them to extend your Live membership for whatever length of time the xbox is away for repair. I didn't do this myself, but there's no harm in asking!

• Advertisement

dilallio wrote: »
    If you took out insurance with Argos, they will replace it immediately.

If not, because it's still under warranty, I don't believe they will replace it, but will send it for repair.

I had an issue with a Kinect controller purchased in Argos. They told me that Microsoft was asking them to ask all customers to contact Microsoft directly, as they like to phone the customer and go through a fault determination procedure before accepting goods for repair.

The girl I spoke to in Argos had no issue with taking it from me, but pointed out that the turnaround time would be much quicker if I contacted Microsoft directly. I did this, they sent a courier to collect, and it took about a week to have it back repaired.

If you do contact Microsoft, ask them to extend your Live membership for whatever length of time the xbox is away for repair. I didn't do this myself, but there's no harm in asking!

If you do this - and I agree with it 100% (well apart from the insurance) - keep a note of the person you dealt with (ideally the store manager), date and time. Microsoft are well within their rights after the year is up to stick their fingers in their ears and go "12 months 12 months 12 months" in regard to warranty Argos are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

just contact microsoft there great (in my experience).they collected and returned my xbox in about 10 working days, and gifted me a 3 months on line membership without me asking i was very pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

jugger wrote: »
    just contact microsoft there great (in my experience).they collected and returned my xbox in about 10 working days, and gifted me a 3 months on line membership without me asking i was very pleased.

Same here and they then extend the warranty on the xbox.

Just bear in mind the manufactures guarantee (12 months + extension which they normally do) and the sellers obligations are two separate things. The only reason I'm harping on about this is Xbox360's are notoriously unreliable and tend to go pop after about 18 months which is not an acceptable time for it to last - at which point microsoft can sometimes be less than forthcoming with a free repair.

Advertisement