Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting an External wall

• 21-07-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

looking for advice on painting an external wall, it's a new extension, so at the moment its just the bare grey concrete wall, question is this: should i be sealing this wall with a primer of some sort first (it is an exposed wall) or just slap up the external emulsion?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

lojeno wrote: »
    looking for advice on painting an external wall, it's a new extension, so at the moment its just the bare grey concrete wall, question is this: should i be sealing this wall with a primer of some sort first (it is an exposed wall) or just slap up the external emulsion?

Unless the fresh external plaster/concrete is very chalky,then theres no need for stabilizer solution.

A diluted coat of external paint (Dulux Weathershild watered down by 20%) will be fine as a 1st/base coat.

Once that has dried in,2 good coats of normal/undiluted external paint.

Use a 9 inch "long pile" masonary roller and also a wallpaper pasting brush to apply the paint.

Job done.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lojeno

thanks paddy147, and for the pics

interesting that you mention 'chalky' there are some white lines/clusters that i thought looked chalky, and until you mentioned it i wasn't sure what it was. hard to say if its very chalky or not, i'd say its spotty at best. what would you recommend as a stabilizer solution?

thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

lojeno wrote: »
    thanks paddy147, and for the pics

interesting that you mention 'chalky' there are some white lines/clusters that i thought looked chalky, and until you mentioned it i wasn't sure what it was. hard to say if its very chalky or not, i'd say its spotty at best. what would you recommend as a stabilizer solution?

thanks again

Run the flat of your hand accross the external plaster.

If your hand is very a very white chalky colour and small little bits of it come away from the wall,then its classed as chalky.

Any stabalizer sollution will do the job.Roller/brush it on,and leave for a day till you paint.

Builders providers is your best best for a bottle/tub of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lojeno

defo getting little bits coming away from the wall, (like bobbles on a old jumper size of bits), but not so chalky as it turns out, but may put the stabilizer on it anyway, now just need a few dry days :D

thanks again!

Advertisement