Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G7 Power Extreme PSU?

Options
  • 21-07-2012 3:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭

Picked up one these 780 watt in Maplins today for a very good price of 54.99 reduced from 90+...oddly enough there were lower watt psu's of the same brand on the shelf that cost more, nice deal me thinks......anyone any experience with this brand (I say brand but dont really know the brand)......probably not high end of the spectrum but good value I thought, has a huge fan in it and is super silent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Did it come with a free fire extinguisher? :p

As a general rule of thumb, if you've never heard of the brand, steer well clear. I can't even find out who the actual manufacturer of that model is, so it's safe to assume it's a cheap Chinese ticking timebomb. I'd be very surprised if that could pull over 500W, if even that.

Remember that if the PSU decides to die someday, it could take the rest of your components with it. Don't skimp on it, and certainly don't bother looking at the wattage unless it's 80 PLUS certified, because you're not going to get anything close to the number on the box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

maki wrote: »
    Did it come with a free fire extinguisher? :p

As a general rule of thumb, if you've never heard of the brand, steer well clear. I can't even find out who the actual manufacturer of that model is, so it's safe to assume it's a cheap Chinese ticking timebomb. I'd be very surprised if that could pull over 500W, if even that.

Remember that if the PSU decides to die someday, it could take the rest of your components with it. Don't skimp on it, and certainly don't bother looking at the wattage unless it's 80 PLUS certified, because you're not going to get anything close to the number on the box.

I see you've edited out the lack of PCI-E connectors bit.....anyway it has 2

Life is all about risks, live life in the fast lane I say :D....and wtf isn't made in China these days

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    I see you've edited out the lack of PCI-E connectors bit.....anyway it has 2

Life is all about risks, live life in the fast lane I say :D....and wtf isn't made in China these days

Yep, I realised I was looking at the 680W spec sheet.

I suppose it depends on how expendable you consider your hardware, but personally it's not the kind of risk I'd be willing to take. Especially given that you could pick up a decent 550W PSU for a bit cheaper, which would perform better, and without the risk of explosion.

maki wrote: »
    Yep, I realised I was looking at the 680W spec sheet.

I suppose it depends on how expendable you consider your hardware, but personally it's not the kind of risk I'd be willing to take. Especially given that you could pick up a decent 550W PSU for a bit cheaper, which would perform better, and without the risk of explosion.

Why? because you know nothing of the brand it's a ticking timebomb?? bit over dramatic...

"I'm not sure if you've heard of Maplin in the US, but it's a computer store in the UK - not a consumer PC store but more of an enthusiast's component store. The PSU is an own-brand model G7 Power Extreme - but it's one of the best-selling PSUs from them and no-one has complained."

just one little review, but I'm probably biased and pulled up a good one......you no doubt could find a bad one too, then again I'm sure top of the range Corsairs will have some people unhappy also

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    Why? because you know nothing of the brand it's a ticking timebomb?? bit over dramatic...

"I'm not sure if you've heard of Maplin in the US, but it's a computer store in the UK - not a consumer PC store but more of an enthusiast's component store. The PSU is an own-brand model G7 Power Extreme - but it's one of the best-selling PSUs from them and no-one has complained."

just one little review, but I'm probably biased and pulled up a good one......you no doubt could find a bad one too, then again I'm sure top of the range Corsairs will have some people unhappy also

While the PSU itself might not explode, the caps certainly can, and do. I'm not saying that your particular PSU will do that, but I'm afraid it's a common trait of cheap no-name power supplies.

Maplin are known for their ridiculously high prices. If they're selling a 780W PSU for €55 and still turning a profit, how much did it cost to manufacture? Cheap price = cheap components.

It really depends on the components you're trying to power though. If it's a basic low power machine, you'll probably be fine. If however it's a powerful gaming rig you might not be as lucky.

I'm not going to go fishing for reviews. I'm not trying to prove I'm right. All I'm saying is that it's a gamble, and one that's probably not worth it in the long run.

• Advertisement

Fair enough...

and it's no powerful gaming rig, whole PC will have cost less than a good gfx card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

I have one of the 580w ones and its a piece of scrap. i get lag and the pc doesn't power off after shutdown.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have one of the 580w ones and its a piece of scrap. i get lag and the pc doesn't power off after shutdown.

You should replace it as soon as possible. Bad/dodgy power supplies can also ruin pc components if they decide to go out with a bang. Get a decent Seasonic/Corsair etc. PSU for peace of mind would be my advice

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

yoyo wrote: »
    You should replace it as soon as possible. Bad/dodgy power supplies can also ruin pc components if they decide to go out with a bang. Get a decent Seasonic/Corsair etc. PSU for peace of mind would be my advice

Nick

I just bought this.

http://www.pixmania.ie/pc-tower-supply/corsair-gs600-gaming-series-pc-power-supply-2013-600-w-cp-9020063-eu/21296316-a.html

Advertisement