Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Screen on BBC HD Channels

• 21-07-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Is anybody else getting a black screen on both BBC One HD and BBC HD on UPC in Dublin? Both channels have been gone all day for me. It's very annoying, wanted to watch the golf in HD, but can't now. I could watch Setanta HD but they've got ads every 10 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

Both channels reappeared after the golf ended. Very strange indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Could Setanta have asked for them to be blocked as they hold broadcasting rights for Ireland? I am interested to hear if the same happens tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

xxyyxx wrote: »
    Could Setanta have asked for them to be blocked as they hold broadcasting rights for Ireland? I am interested to hear if the same happens tomorrow.

I twould imagine the answer is No - the analogue signals where not affected and BBC HD and BBC 1 HD where carrying different programmes.

ITV4 is also currently a black screen and there is a film showing not sport.

Looks like UPC messed up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

Bbc will not show any sporting events in hd in Ireland due to license laws and it won't be sorted anytime soon

Bbc will not show any sporting events in hd in Ireland due to license laws and it won't be sorted anytime soon

Have they not shown sport in HD before on UPC? What's changed now?

• Advertisement

Don't know where you got your information but the Golf is broadcasting in the clear now on BBC HD. Think it was just a technical fault yesterday. Sport has never been blocked on BBC channels before unlike ITV 4 which is just a mess on UPC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm pretty sure the golf wasn't on both BBC One HD and BBC HD...looks like just an error.

Worth noting that for as long as the BBC"s HD channels are free to air on satellite there is absolutely no way for them to block Irish viewers on that platform from viewing any sporting events aired on the HD channels.

BBC will not show sporting events in hd in Ireland as well as some programs only in hd mind you they will show everything else on the SD channels o and by the way the golf is not true hd smart arse

BBC will not show sporting events in hd in Ireland as well as some programs only in hd mind you they will show everything else on the SD channels o and by the way the golf is not true hd smart arse
    I never try to be smart or anything else, I deal with facts. The fact is that I watched the golf on BBC HD yesterday and then BBC One HD. The presenter said I was watching in HD. The reception looked pretty good and I believed her. Maybe she was misinformed or maybe both UPC and Sky broadcast SD versions of the channels. My parents also watched the golf on BBC One HD on Sky yesterday via the EPG. I have also watched sport many times in the past on these channels with no problem. Is the blocking of HD sport in Ireland a recent development?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

Define true HD? The golf on the BBC was HD and was not upscaled. I haven't heard or seen such nonsense for a long time. When did the BBC ever announce that they wont show HD sport in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

F1 has been on BBC in HD all year, also on Setanta HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I watched some of the Golf on BBC one HD yesterday, it wasn't a blank screen for me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

F1 has been on BBC in HD all year, also on Setanta HD.

Yup, I've watched several HD programmes on BBC here in Ireland, so unless it's a very recent development..

You can have a ban if I see you personally insulting people again.

For the last time bbc hd is not hd in Ireland it's sd and will continue to be that way till the license laws are sorted it will say bbc hd but its really sd my brother works for the BEB and he was telling me that a standard signal is sent down the same stream as hd so I hope this is good for ya all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

For the last time bbc hd is not hd in Ireland it's sd and will continue to be that way till the license laws are sorted it will say bbc hd but its really sd my brother works for the BEB and he was telling me that a standard signal is sent down the same stream as hd so I hope this is good for ya all

The UK broadcasts are typically at a resolution of 1440x1080i and encoded in MPEG-4 H.264/AVC on satellite and terrestrial television and in MPEG-2 on cable. Although it is not 1920x1080, the resolution is within European Broadcasting Union specifications for HD.

On 27 April 2010, BBC HD launched on Sky Ireland platform in Ireland

Also, according to a thread on Boards.ie there might be a chance ROI viewers get access to BBC One HD - BBC HD is already available to Irish viewers.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_HD
    http://airwaves.techtir.com/channelnews/4399-ireland-extra-bbc-channels-being-added-to-sky-epg

If it's SD, it's the best quality SD channel ever. It's at least as good as the other HD channels.

FanadMan wrote: »
    On 27 April 2010, BBC HD launched on Sky Ireland platform in Ireland

Also, according to a thread on Boards.ie there might be a chance ROI viewers get access to BBC One HD - BBC HD is already available to Irish viewers.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_HD
    http://airwaves.techtir.com/channelnews/4399-ireland-extra-bbc-channels-being-added-to-sky-epg

:confused: I have BBC ONE HD on UPC since 27.04.2011,

http://www.businessandleadership.com/marketing/item/29746-bbc-one-hd-now-available-on

celticbest wrote: »

I was going to point that out too - but I think he was talking about BBC One HD coming to Sky Ireland.

I don't know why you are persisting with what essentially is a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 rev1890

who_me wrote: »
    If it's SD, it's the best quality SD channel ever. It's at least as good as the other HD channels.

I agree, it's the best SD channel i've ever come across!!
    BBC HD also recently broadcast the wimbledon finals in 3D, can you broadcast 3D on SD channels as well as HD?

NO NO NO WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN
    I am going to explode in a massive fit of rage I am going to put this phone true the tv a hell do it yourselfs hfyh ovine ump r univivuvyvibycuctjsdzdtygc6:6€(,( cd f f gbgvghvgggghn

NO NO NO WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN
    I am going to explode in a massive fit of rage I am going to put this phone true the tv a hell do it yourselfs hfyh ovine ump r univivuvyvibycuctjsdzdtygc6:6€(,( cd f f gbgvghvgggghn

Please do explode so you might be able to explain how a channel that is clearly HD is actually SD. Also what position does your brother have at the "BEB"?

Wishwashwoo banned for 5 days for the above outburst and his previous behaviour on the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

:D
    hfyh ovine ump r univivuvyvibycuctjsdzdtygc6:6€(,( cd f f gbgvghvgggghn

Ah man funny thread!
    Hey wishywashytroll is that you banging your head against the keyboard!

Back on topic or the thread will be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Back on topic.....

Yes, just to reply to the OP it was hopefully a one off technical glitch for you. And with regards to sport being on BBC HD, I watched golf on Sunday in beautiful full HD and watched loads of Wimbledon complete with 5.1 surround sound! (which I understand is not even available in SD)

rev1890 wrote: »
    I agree, it's the best SD channel i've ever come across!!
    BBC HD also recently broadcast the wimbledon finals in 3D, can you broadcast 3D on SD channels as well as HD?

BBC HD had the finals in 3D (in the side-by-side format)?

D'oh! I missed that. Other than offering Eurosport 3D briefly (before I had a 3DTV), UPC have no 3D content. And I didn't think a mainstream channel like BBC HD would offer any SBS content since it would be unwatchable for non-3DTV viewers.

It shows as side by side on a none 3D TV, if you have a 3D tv it merges the two pictures which as slighty out of line with each other to create your 3D picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 rev1890

D'oh! I missed that. Other than offering Eurosport 3D briefly (before I had a 3DTV), UPC have no 3D content. And I didn't think a mainstream channel like BBC HD would offer any SBS content since it would be unwatchable for non-3DTV viewers.

Yes, it was broadcast in the side by side format. They will be showing some olympics coverage in 3D as well. Opening and closing ceremonies and Mens 100m final and an olympics highlights programme each night (from 11pm i think) in 3D on BBC HD.

It was interesting to see the tennis in 3D but, I suppose to give a better perspective for 3D, the camera was low in the court and so it was difficult to see whether some shots were in or out on the far side of the net. 3D probably works better in certain sports more than others.
    Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing some olympics in 3D!

Advertisement