Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for novice on new build

Options
  • 21-07-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

1. What is your budget? €600-700

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Word Processing; Viewing Digital Records; Database Software (Filemaker Pro); Citation Software (Zotero); Viewing PDFs (Foxit); Browsing (Firefox); email (Thunderbird); Tversity to stream content to mobile devices and Roberts Radio. Generally, all of the above would be open and likely as not I'd be playing some time of podcast or streaming radio content and I'd also often have multiple browser tabs open (30+) and multiple PDF documents open; for digital images I'd normally have open one at a time - I don't edit but simply view these (work related images).

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    It's a Samsung Syncmaster P2370 1920x1080; No upgrade planned

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? I have keyboard, mouse, speakers. I use a plug in ethernet connection to connect to the router (i.e. ethernet over the electrical wiring - not sure what the correct term for this is). Don't think I'd need a card reader.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Well, so far as I know the chip I selected below won't facilitate that. I'd do it if it was relatively simple, didn't adversely impact on the stability and longevity of the system and was cost effective. Really, though I want something pretty stable.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card, Laser, Bank transfer.

9. When are you purchasing? 2 weeks from now at the earliest.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? North Dublin but I'd hope to be able to manage the build myself.

Here's what I've been looking at.

Item|Price
    ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Sockel 1155, ATX|€79.45
    LG GH22NS50/70/90 bare schwarz|€17.78
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€99.70
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s|€99.90
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.19
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.70
    Intel Core i5-2500 Box, LGA1155|€189.19
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€55.34
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€658.24

One question I'd have in terms of cost is if that chip is total overkill for my computing needs? Cheaper would be better obviously as I'd also like to build a low-spec htpc with satellite and tv tuner cards in the next few months. Also, I have no clue about cases or powersupply but neither aesthetics nor the noise of the system are particularly important considerations to me.

Comments

Advertisement