Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords 10k 22/07/2012

Options
  • 21-07-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a number they won't be using for the 10k tomorrow

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Got stuck in out estate yesterday morning cause of this:mad:. Of course the race organisers didn't bother their arses warning us that this would be the case and the pathetic race stewards hadn't got a clue either. With my wife expecting in the next couple of days this could have been a disaster for us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Got stuck in out estate yesterday morning cause of this:mad:. Of course the race organisers didn't bother their arses warning us that this would be the case and the pathetic race stewards hadn't got a clue either. With my wife expecting in the next couple of days this could have been a disaster for us.

Same here, had to take a huge diversion.
    You'd have thought they would have notified the affected areas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There were media campaigns to notify people. Not sure what specifics, aside from all local papers (paid and free). And there were plans in place for emergency access for medical services.

Great event for those involved, but yeah, a bit of a headache if people weren't aware of it. At least it was only an hour or so of a holdup.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Paulw wrote: »
    There were media campaigns to notify people. Not sure what specifics, aside from all local papers (paid and free). And there were plans in place for emergency access for medical services.

Great event for those involved, but yeah, a bit of a headache if people weren't aware of it. At least it was only an hour or so of a holdup.

Very effective media campaigns alright.

And only an hour or so of a hold up?

My OH very occasionally on a Sunday treats me to breakfast in bed, not that he cooks it, he goes out and gets breakfasty stuff and brings it back, it's a little routine.

That hour of a hold up made him late for an appointment, and all because some shower of runners thought it was ok to block the streets and they didn't need to communicate?

I don't read the local papers, nor am I on facebook, and there was nothing up poster wise anywhere to indicate this was happening.

It was a ****ing shambles, showing absolutely **** all disregard for the local community. If it's on next year, I will not only keep an eye out that it's happening, I'll lobby every councillor in NCD to make sure it doesn't get permission without a PROPER communication plan in place, including leaflet drops in every house affected.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Fingal county council got back to me on Twitter saying that information was given out on all major radio stations . WOW . Don't suppose they could have stuck a sign up .My father is Ill and the marshalls still wouldn't let my elderly mother through . FUMING .

gerry.mcguire@fingalcoco.ie,
    tom.kelleher@fingalcoco.ie,
    darragh.butler@fingalcoco.ie,
    anne.devitt@fingalcoco.ie,
    eugene.coppinger@fingalcoco.ie

• Advertisement

Darragh Butler was one of the runners in it, so I'm sure he will be hoping it's run again next year. Eugene Coppinger was one of the marshalls.

All I know is what I heard, and I saw notices in local papers (Swords Gazette and Northside People), which I read. I didn't hear it on radio, but don't listen to much radio.

I was there on the day, and there was a great crowd out cheering on the runners. I thought it was a brilliant event. It's never possible to notify everyone, and someone will always miss out on local news. I guess the council can never please everyone. But, I know that they did use mass media to get the word out there.

I don't think it's realistic (cost wise) for leaflets to be dropped around every home in the Swords area. I'd prefer council money to be better spent.

Surely signs along the route advising people of the upcoming event would not have broken the bank .

Yeah, signs probably would have been a good idea.

Sure, it's a learning lesson, and hopefully next year they will inform people better. I'm sure the council will take on board all suggestions as to how to improve things, including notification.

I still think it was a great event and it was over by noon.

Yeah, signs probably would have been a good idea.

Sure, it's a learning lesson, and hopefully next year they will inform people better. I'm sure the council will take on board all suggestions as to how to improve things, including notification.

I still think it was a great event and it was over by noon.

Is this the first year it was on?

I was actually in Fingal offices in Swords a couple of weeks ago and there was a sign in reception about some event (It could have been this, or a cycle race) that had no chuffing date on it, I asked five members of staff for a date/route and none of them could tell me.

I've emailed the two councillors involved, suggesting posters, leaflet drops, or asking Opel Airside to borrow their roadside sign to advise of diversions. Those giant signs that post messages might be quite cheap, people tend to take notice of them, and over ten k, you'd need maybe five for five days?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is this the first year it was on?

I was actually in Fingal offices in Swords a couple of weeks ago and there was a sign in reception about some event (It could have been this, or a cycle race) that had no chuffing date on it, I asked five members of staff for a date/route and none of them could tell me.

Yeah, as far as I know, this was the first year it was on. It's been on the radio and local papers, as part of the Dublin Race season.

There have been a hell of a lot of events in the Fingal area recently - Skerries 100 TT, Flavours of Fingal, Fingal 10k, etc. Those are the ones I know well, since I was at them. But, I know there has been a lot more too.

There's also the Morton 2012 event on this evening in Morton Stadium, Santry. I have seen posters for that.

For me, I keep an eye on their facebook and twitter feeds, as well as a browse in the free local papers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

People these days never cease to amaze me. :mad:

facebook,
    newspapers,
    radio,
    twitter,
    website,
    posters

yet STILL someone missed it because someone else didnt knock your door and tell you there was a race on and a road would close for one hour? I wasnt taking part but knew months ago it was on AND I knew the route.

People need to cop on, this was a great event for the community as a whole and in the majority.

To say no effort was made to tell locals and then to say you intend to waste Councillors time with this non complaint when they have far more important issues to worry about, just because somebody didnt get breakfast in bed!!!

I understand why a minority feel inconvenienced, but to say there was no public campaign is plain wrong.

maybe in future, besides the race organizers working to a higher level of PR this will also encourage you yourselves to open the front door, go down the street, actually look around, maybe speak to other locals, possibly read and support local newspapers, view the notice boards around the shops etc, maybe listen to local radio stations or low and behold actually check local web sites on the internet!?

Years ago whole towns came to a standstill for bigger events than this, with little or no PR other than what you saw on the wall of the local supermarket, shop window, church noticeboard or entrance to a pub.

sometimes i wonder how spoon-fed and lazy people have become :confused:

Morphéus wrote: »

facebook,
    newspapers,
    radio,
    twitter,
    website,
    posters

yet STILL someone missed it because someone else didnt knock your door and tell you there was a race on and a road would close for one hour? I wasnt taking part but knew months ago it was on AND I knew the route.

People need to cop on, this was a great event for the community as a whole and in the majority.

To say no effort was made to tell locals and then to say you intend to waste Councillors time with this non complaint when they have far more important issues to worry about, just because somebody didnt get breakfast in bed!!!

I understand why a minority feel inconvenienced, but to say there was no public campaign is plain wrong.

maybe in future, besides the race organizers working to a higher level of PR this will also encourage you yourselves to open the front door, go down the street, actually look around, maybe speak to other locals, possibly read and support local newspapers, view the notice boards around the shops etc, maybe listen to local radio stations or low and behold actually check local web sites on the internet!?

Years ago whole towns came to a standstill for bigger events than this, with little or no PR other than what you saw on the wall of the local supermarket, shop window, church noticeboard or entrance to a pub.

JOG ON !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

sharkman wrote: »

facebook,
    newspapers,
    radio,
    twitter,
    website,
    posters

JOG ON !!!!

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there. I'm on Facebook and twitter and read all the local papers yet somehow "missed" this news. I discovered this race was on on Sunday morning thanks to Journal.ie.
    Now I think the race was a fantastic event, thankfully I was not majorly inconvenienced by it but to say it was widely publicised is a joke. I've spoken to many of my neighbours and work colleagues and only one knew about it.
    I dont think enough was done to let JoePublic in on the secret. Hopefully this event will be a yearly one, but hopefully they will tell the people of Swords about it too.

JOG ON.... (",

well played sir.

To say no effort was made to tell locals and then to say you intend to waste Councillors time with this non complaint when they have far more important issues to worry about

None was made, there were no posters, it wasn't on the one radio station I listen to for a half hour each morning, and there were no updates that I or several other posters got. I did see a sign in the Fingal offices, with no date, time or route on it as I said above. I do not use Twitter or Facebook

There is a sign up the past three weeks outside the Fingal office about another event that is highly visible from the road and very clear. Why couldn't they have done that?

One of the councillors replied, and said that he did notice a lot of traffic being held back, and will take action with the Council to have this better publicised next time. Ill elderly people not getting support they need and/or a woman potentially going into labour and not getting to the hospital due to poor communication by a bunch of runners, are serious enough issues in my opinion.

I knew about various events recently, cycle races, motorbikes races etc, but not this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

God forbid being held up and prevented from going somewhere for an hour because other people were enjoying themselves, or raising money for charity, or gosh getting away from the computer for an hour.

If it is run next year why don't all the offended simply....take part :-)

Why don't the organisers put up some posters along the route?

It's that simple.

There usually is good communication about these events, they just don't seem to have gotten it right this time.

There usually is good communication about these events, they just don't seem to have gotten it right this time.

They usually are very good, so I am surprised.

Hopefully they will take onboard all constructive criticism and make it better for next year. I guess since it was the first road race in the village itself they have lessons to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

God forbid being held up and prevented from going somewhere for an hour because other people were enjoying themselves, or raising money for charity, or gosh getting away from the computer for an hour.

If it is run next year why don't all the offended simply....take part :-)

I don't think it's as simple as people being "offended". Some people were and others could have been seriously disrupted by the race. I was in the Pavilions on Sunday morning and it was fantastic to see so many people milling around.
    Mistakes were made by the organisers. Learn from them and move on to next year.

but come on! not getting your breakfast in bed? thats a bit much to be moaning about :D

i would like to see ANYONE attempt to stop a couple from accessing a road with one of them is in labour!!! theyd need an ambulance to scrape that marshall off the road afterwards!

• Advertisement

i would like to see ANYONE attempt to stop a couple from accessing a road with one of them is in labour!!! theyd need an ambulance to scrape that marshall off the road afterwards!

Every event has to be co-ordinated with emergency services (ambulance, Gardai and Fire service). There would always be a plan in place if these needed to get to/from a particular place.

I was at the end of Main St, Swords, and an ambulance did go through around 11:20am. So, he had no problems.

but come on! not getting your breakfast in bed? thats a bit much to be moaning about :D
    !

If you read my post I was complaining about my partner being held up and late for an appointment :)

My main annoyance was the lack of communication, e.g. the Saint Patricks parade disruption was incredibly well communicated, and took in a lot of the same route.

Why not just apply the relevant parts of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Im not involved in athletics but heard about this race going back to last year, about October I think. Was there not a series of races in Swords last year during the summer? Maybe not 10k but 5k and a few cycles races?

From what I heard it was a super event and next year will be even bigger.

I would suggest if people had a problem they should contact the organisers and ask for posters to be put up. along the route and in some estates also. And if you have an hour get out and cheer the runners on.

LeoB wrote: »

I would suggest if people had a problem they should contact the organisers and ask for posters to be put up. along the route and in some estates also. And if you have an hour get out and cheer the runners on.

Both the councillors I emailed replied and acknowledge that there were issues with people not knowing/traffic.

Eugene Coppinger said that there is a plan next year to leaflet houses as the notices in papers didn't work, and they are looking at revising the route to minimise disruption.

I was very impressed to get a response from them, if the race committee do communicate this more next year, then perhaps more people will go, and the charities that benefit will get more funds.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I was the pregnant person who was held up by this, I was 40 weeks pregnant and tried to leave our estate through our only entrance. The steward was less then helpful, and couldn't tell us how long we would be held up. I actually had an appointment to make, and when you're 40 weeks gone and quite ill, it is an inconveince to have to wait for over an hour without knowing what was going on.
    At the time it took quite an effort for me to get out and about, and it was a pain in the arse to be held up.
    If we had of know we would have left 30 minutes earlier and would have been well gone. The stewards at our estate were not in contact with any others, so couldn't tell us how far away the last runners were. Funnily enough the Garda on the other end of the road outside our estate were letting people up and down on a 1 lane system, but the stewards kept telling us noone was allowed out.
    As for it being on Facebook or twitter, how many people actually follow their CC on Social media? We didn't receive the local paper that week, actually thinking about it I haven't had it delivered for a while. It wouldn't have taken much to have some sort of notice on either the main roads or the estate entrances saying to check the website for diversions. Even better our residents association is very good and involved in the community, they could have emailed them and I'm sure they would have done a leaflet drop.
    Noone is asking to be personally told by the CC, it's silly to even suggest people felt like this, just there could have been a better effort made to contact the estates concerned, I doubt the majority of residents are connected to FCC through social media.
    I understand it was great for the area, it was a brilliant idea just poorly executed. Even down to when they finally let traffic out on the roads there was still runners running and one set of stewards were telling the runners to run on the road and others were shouting at them to run on the path.
    I myself have not gotten any response from FCC concerning the organisation of the race, and on the day in question I tried to check the race route once we were held up to see where would be affected and the link to the map route was dead.

Ginny wrote: »
    As for it being on Facebook or twitter, how many people actually follow their CC on Social media?

I started following them on twitter, and to a lesser extent on Facebook since the water supply problems during winter two years ago. I found their updates on that issue brilliant, and have always since kept an eye on what they post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

As Ginny said for us this was a lot more then just 'breakfast in bed':rolleyes:. We were left with no way out of our estate full stop and given the amount of cars lining up to get out our estate I would still classify the councils effort as pathetically ineffective at targeting those that would be effected.
    People these days never cease to amaze me.

facebook,
    newspapers,
    radio,
    twitter,
    website,
    posters

Actually if they had at least bothered their arse to put up a poster at our estate we at least would of had some chance of knowing but again the incompetent idiots couldn't even do that.

A leaflet drop should of been orgainsed to the estates that were going to be completely cut.

Both the councillors I emailed replied and acknowledge that there were issues with people not knowing/traffic.

Eugene Coppinger said that there is a plan next year to leaflet houses as the notices in papers didn't work, and they are looking at revising the route to minimise disruption.

I was very impressed to get a response from them, if the race committee do communicate this more next year, then perhaps more people will go, and the charities that benefit will get more funds.

Just as a follow up, while some may have considered my issue with this last year superficial, I am extremely pleased that that this year, I know about this event due to signs all the way up and down my road advising it is happening and that road closures will be in effect.

We didn't get leaflets in the door, but those posters on the road have had the desired effect for me.

Nice to see the difference :)

Have emailed both councillors who replied to thank them and any part they had to play in raising awareness.

We might live in a digital age, but sometimes back to basics works, you won't find me on here this Sunday complaining I couldn't go sailing cos of the Fingal 10k :)

Advertisement