Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Renting Alone

Options
  • 21-07-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to rent a one bedroom flat in Dublin at the start of the academic year in September.

I have an income of around 1500 per month. Most of which comes from a part time job and the remainder from a little regular work online.

I have two main questions.

First, would a landlord be apprehensive about letting to a student alone? Maybe he/she thinks I couldn't afford the rent or would trash the place?

Secondly, below is a rough budget of mine. I'm no stranger to scrimping. I don't eat much and could easily survive on 30 euro a week for food.

Income = 1500

Expences

Rent = 750
    Food = 160
    Utilities = 100
    UPC = 40
    Mobile = 20
    Clothes = 50
    Transport = 60 (could be zero, I cycle to work so could cycle to college)
    Household = 20
    Social = 200

TOTAL EXPENCES = 1400

Transfer 100 to savings account at month's end.

I've worked out a few scenarios to see if I could cope in a disaster such as loosing my online work and, mathematically anyway, I'd be okay without touching my credit union.

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think you're crazy and too modest on some costs. Do a house share, and a cheap one at that. Also, part time isn't a secure job, even over 8-9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Sorry, but I think you are crazy too. 50% of your income on housing is too much.
    Are you a mature student? If so seek out a houseshare with fellow mature students.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are suffering from what is known as optimism bias.

What about the actual costs of being a student - books, fees, stationery, college trips, etc.? Medical expenses? Will you eat your lunch from a plastic box every day?

Will you be able to maintain your job through projects and exams?

I would suggest that you share with at least one other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Thanks for the replies guys!

I've lived with other people for a few months at a time (on holidays, staying down the country etc...) and I feel I'd be much better off on my own. Also, with the online work that I do I need peace and quiet.

The rent I could get down to 600 for a flat in Dublin 8 it seems so that'd reduce some of my expenses.

The course I'm doing doesn't cost that much with books, stationary etc.... I have my fees saved up in my CU from working during the summer so I'm okay in that regard.

With my budget (with the reduced rent) I could be stowing away a few hundred every month. I have a small savings as it is so surely that'd be enough to cover any disaster?

I live with my parents at the minute but we all have to move out sometime. I'm not expecting the same living standards as I have at home. My dad worked all his life to achieve this - I'm starting off. I like Lidl food anyway!

What do you guys think of my budget? How much would ESB and GAS be for a one bed flat??

Thanks,
    Dean

Edit: I should also point out that I'm 20 so not a mature student as has been suggested! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Why not look for a bedsit at 450.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Stay at home throughout college and continue saving, that will put you in a great financial position once you leave and you'll be glad you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I've lived with other people for a few months at a time (on holidays, staying down the country etc...) and I feel I'd be much better off on my own. Also, with the online work that I do I need peace and quiet.

The rent I could get down to 600 for a flat in Dublin 8 it seems so that'd reduce some of my expenses.

The course I'm doing doesn't cost that much with books, stationary etc.... I have my fees saved up in my CU from working during the summer so I'm okay in that regard.

With my budget (with the reduced rent) I could be stowing away a few hundred every month. I have a small savings as it is so surely that'd be enough to cover any disaster?

I live with my parents at the minute but we all have to move out sometime. I'm not expecting the same living standards as I have at home. My dad worked all his life to achieve this - I'm starting off. I like Lidl food anyway!

What do you guys think of my budget? How much would ESB and GAS be for a one bed flat??

Thanks,
    Dean

Edit: I should also point out that I'm 20 so not a mature student as has been suggested! :)

ESB and gas could easily top 100 a month in the winter, especially if the place is cold, you could be up to 400 euro combined every two months easily. Also, be aware that ESB might require a deposit in some cases unless you setup a direct debit. The biggest surprise is that your social budget is more than your food budget and household combined! 30-40 euro a week is pretty paltry for 3 meals a day, you'll be buying bags of pasta and tinned tomatoes for a while anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Why not go for something like Broadstone Halls? You have your own ensuite room and a shared kitchen/living room. I stayed there for one semester and it was good but dearer than a shared house in Blanchardstown.

Advertisement