Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcohol AND drugs

• 21-07-2012 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

Why do I see this line so much, particularly in government pamphlets, alcohol AND drugs. i sometimes get the feeling that these recommendations give the impression that booze is not a drug. Alcohol is a drug no different from cannabis, or even cocaine or heroin. It's a mind altering substance, and one of the most additive substances on the face of the earth, as some studies have shown as additive as cocaine or heroin, and yet all I can see is studies with the headlines Alcohol AND drugs. What is the story with this, alcohol is one of the most addictive (certainly more addictive than illegal substances like cannabis) and yet we as a society try and console ourselves given our fondness for alcohol that it's not a drug, when it's in fact a drug no different from cannabis, coke, heroin etc. and probably as addictive as the latter two.

Booze is a drug, as additive and mind altering as any other substance, and yet I see leaflets etc. trying to separate it from drugs in general, when it is in fact probably one of the most additive and hard drugs on the face of the planet. As the old saying goes, does not compute. I guess perhaps that the pro-probhitiion crowd of other drugs are careful not to mix in alcohol, our favourite drug, with others to distinguish between drink and other drugs, often less harmless than booze, and yet illegal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

In before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dttq wrote: »

Booze is a drug, as additive and mind altering as any other substance

As any other substance?
    As addictive and mind altering as say... milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Because alcohol is legal and not seen in the same light as illegal drugs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

In before...

In before an adult discussion on our hypocritical laws towards drugs, yet tolerance for booze (an additive drug no different from other prohibited substances in it's effect on the human body).

Good for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Why do I see this line so much, particularly in government pamphlets, alcohol AND drugs. i sometimes get the feeling that these recommendations give the impression that booze is not a drug. Alcohol is a drug no different from cannabis, or even cocaine or heroin. It's a mind altering substance, and one of the most additive substances on the face of the earth, as some studies have shown as additive as cocaine or heroin, and yet all I can see is studies with the headlines Alcohol AND drugs. What is the story with this, alcohol is one of the most addictive (certainly more addictive than illegal substances like cannabis) and yet we as a society try and console ourselves given our fondness for alcohol that it's not a drug, when it's in fact a drug no different from cannabis, coke, heroin etc. and probably as addictive as the latter two.

Booze is a drug, as additive and mind altering as any other substance, and yet I see leaflets etc. trying to separate it from drugs in general, when it is in fact probably one of the most additive and hard drugs on the face of the planet. As the old saying goes, does not compute. I guess perhaps that the pro-probhitiion crowd of other drugs are careful not to mix in alcohol, our favourite drug, with others to distinguish between drink and other drugs, often less harmless than booze, and yet illegal

Welcome to AH .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I'm not ashamed to say I went through the mad phase of growing up! I over-indulged many times and genuinely couldn't blame the beer or drugs, only my own stupidity. I occupied casualty on a couple of occasions and it was through my friends that I did so. I regret doing so because there were people with cause to visit A & E and here was a fool who went too far. Btw, I paid my bills for doing so...Its true, the older you get, the less sense you have...(well, in my case)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

luckyfrank wrote: »
    3 weeks off drink before today in that space i got a job, felt never better , postive can do attitude, and realised i hate my fuc/king bird, just cant stand the c/unt

Yes, being off the drink has really made you a better person :) Go you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Alcohol is a drug. It's not something different to drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

xzanti wrote: »
    Yes, being off the drink has really made you a better person :) Go you.
    yes it has, instead of having nothing to do i have structure, anyone ever being unemployed ??? dying with a hangover you'll drink the next day, working you wont do that

so yes being off the drink has made me a better person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I love the gargle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I love the gargle
    wacker from where ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

mikom wrote: »
    As any other substance?
    As addictive and mind altering as say... milk?

Actually, milk is addictive as it contains Casomorphins which is an opioid(addictive)

(sorry :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Alcahol is a drug, yes. But ya don't go around saying "are ya going on the drugs tonight?" when ya want to go drinking.

Drugs is handier to say than narcotics or something official like that. Drugs refers to cocaine, heroin, cannabis, etc.

Also, as was said before, the legality of both of these 'drugs' is another difference.

You've taken this issue a bit too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd outlaw alcohol for my own personal gain. Myself and Jimmy '4 fingers' Gambino are going into the bootlegging trade together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

alcohol is just as dangerous a drug if not more,ive seen more fights and scuffles due to alcohol,cannabis doesnt have that same effect you would never see two people or a gang fighting after a couple of smokes theyd be a little disorientated or lack co ordination but in general talkative,and happy..just happy out..

alcohol is just as dangerous a drug if not more,ive seen more fights and scuffles due to alcohol,cannabis doesnt have that same effect you would never see two people or a gang fighting after a couple of smokes theyd be a little disorientated or lack co ordination but in general talkative,and happy..just happy out..

I'm not one to judge or dictate but if ever there was a doubt, what went on in the phoenix park a couple of weeks ago went down with candy flipping or just tripping to trips that caused such a sad and silly result. Anyone that takes a few tokes off a smoke is granted, chilled out (in most instances)..but there are a lot of people out there that seem to be immune from that...I've seen lads just loose the plot....regardless of what class A are involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

I'm not one to judge or dictate but if ever there was a doubt, what went on in the phoenix park a couple of weeks ago went down with candy flipping or just tripping to trips that caused such a sad and silly result. Anyone that takes a few tokes off a smoke is granted, chilled out (in most instances)..but there are a lot of people out there that seem to be immune from that...I've seen lads just loose the plot....regardless of what class A are involved

I thought most of that craic was due to alcohol, no?. Not much drugs cause as much anger as alcohol does but I guess it does depend on the person..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

3 weeks off drink before today in that space i got a job, felt never better , postive can do attitude, and realised i hate my fuc/king bird, just cant stand the c/unt

Lucky you

• Advertisement

I thought most of that craic was due to alcohol, no?. Not much drugs cause as much anger as alcohol does but I guess it does depend on the person..

It sure does....some peeps get whacked out of it with nurofen plus so its sad to think that class A and the likes cause peeps to go demented now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

I'd be fairly confident alcohol was involved, probably mixed with other drugs in some cases which isn't going to help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

yes it has, instead of having nothing to do i have structure, anyone ever being unemployed ??? dying with a hangover you'll drink the next day, working you wont do that

so yes being off the drink has made me a better person

I can't tell if you're saying you have a job or you're saying you're unemployed! Either way, how has being off drink given you structure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

For taking paint off a gate - Alcohol > Cannabis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

drink is the worst drug out there IMO... when abused of course.. ive never known anyone that hasnt had a scaldy or dodgy moment on the booze.. how many folk have you seen been an a*sehole / d&ckhead on the booze compared to folk you've seen on any tye of other drug and also who has look mor ein danger of doing damage to themselves or others\?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Why do I see this line so much, particularly in government pamphlets, alcohol AND drugs. i sometimes get the feeling that these recommendations give the impression that booze is not a drug.

It is to appeal to people aged over a certain age who might drink vodka for brekkie but would rather chop their leg off than take a recreational drug as they regard any illegal drug as being for addicts and scumbags. People of a different generation, 50 plus.
    . What is the story with this, alcohol is one of the most addictive (certainly more addictive than illegal substances like cannabis)

In all truth I know alot more successful businessmen with chronic drink problems than I know successful stoners.

. I guess perhaps that the pro-probhitiion crowd of other drugs are careful not to mix in alcohol, our favourite drug, with others to distinguish between drink and other drugs, often less harmless than booze, and yet illegal

From personal experience I would regard daily cannabis use as more harmful than daily alcohol use. Not wanting to leve the house without a spliff first, the way it makes you procrastinate, temporary memory loss, it is definitely more life sapping than having a drink problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

It is to appeal to people aged over a certain age who might drink vodka for brekkie but would rather chop their leg off than take a recreational drug as they regard any illegal drug as being for addicts and scumbags. People of a different generation, 50 plus.
    No offence but that's a very naive comment there. ;)
    If you went back in time to the 70's or 80's the "youngsters" of the day (my generation) were smoking dope, now we are in our 40's and 50's and many of us are still smoking it, the people who I used to buy from in the 80's are now in their 60's (one woman I know is now in her 70's ;)).
    It's not about age.

On topic, I had an interesting chat with my father recently, he gave a "tut" and shake of his head muttering "drugs" watching the news one day (he's known for 30 years I've been "doing drugs") and he wasn't amused when I explained that his job as a barman for 20 years was really him dealing drugs for his own personal profit (though really to keep a roof over the heads of his family). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

I love these comments about about about the evils of alchol and how its the same as any other drug. To the poster that compared it to heroin all i can say is your ignorance realy shines through.

Ive always been curious why after hours is so pro-drug when id suspect many have'nt realy expeirenced much apart from cannabis use recreationaly or even just once or twice. I'm basing that assumption off the fact that there is much discussion about legalisation of drugs with little to no conversation on the affects the substances e.g the empathy from Mdma or geometric patterns from use of pyscheldelics like 2-cb Lsd/Lsa mesceline e.t.c

The reason im making this point is because for such a hot topic especialy on after hours you should realy research the effects of these drugs both negative and positive before championing there legalisation.

End rant/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I love these comments about about about the evils of alchol and how its the same as any other drug. To the poster that compared it to heroin all i can say is your ignorance realy shines through.

Ive always been curious why after hours is so pro-drug when id suspect many have'nt realy expeirenced much apart from cannabis use recreationaly or even just once or twice. I'm basing that assumption off the fact that there is much discussion about legalisation of drugs with little to no conversation on the affects the substances e.g the empathy from Mdma or geometric patterns from use of pyscheldelics like 2-cb Lsd/Lsa mesceline e.t.c

The reason im making this point is because for such a hot topic especialy on after hours you should realy research the effects of these drugs both negative and positive before championing there legalisation.

End rant/
    And perhaps you should try some before giving your honest opinion?

• Advertisement

/
    I think that might have something to do with the charter, not what would be a rather odd lack of people who use drugs around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

And perhaps you should try some before giving your honest opinion?

I have ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

when it's in fact a drug no different from cannabis, coke, heroin etc. and probably as addictive as the latter two.

As addictive as heroin or cocaine in crack form? No. I agree with parts of your post and yes, alcohol is a drug, but come on now. Don't know about you, but I personally don't find alcohol addictive. Some people do but I think heroin and crack would be addictive to more people than is alcohol.

Sea Filly wrote: »
    As addictive as heroin or cocaine in crack form? No. I agree with parts of your post and yes, alcohol is a drug, but come on now. Don't know about you, but I personally don't find alcohol addictive. Some people do but I think heroin and crack would be addictive to more people than is alcohol.
    A substance being addictive is a physiological effect on the human body, not on some humans bodies.

Heroin and crack are more addictive than alcohol, ie it takes less use to develop a full physical addiction.

A substance being addictive is a physiological effect on the human body, not on some humans bodies.

Heroin and crack are more addictive than alcohol, ie it takes less use to develop a full physical addiction.

OK, well I don't find alcohol in any way addictive, because I am probably nowhere near drinking the amount one would have to drink to develop a dependency. So, I think it's wrong for the OP to say it's AS addictive as these substances, though some people seem to get addicted to alcohol more easily than others.

OK, well I don't find alcohol in any way addictive, because I am probably nowhere near drinking the amount one would have to drink to develop a dependency. So, I think it's wrong for the OP to say it's AS addictive as these substances, though some people seem to get addicted to alcohol more easily than others.
    You can't say you don't find alcohol addictive because it is, if you did enough of it your body would need it to function normally.
    The average amount people take isn't enough to cause a change to the way their body functions, but this does not mean the substance is not addictive.

This is like someone who has used a small amount of Heroin only a few times over a long period therefore not becoming physically addicted, saying "I don't find Heroin addictive". The only reason they would think that is if they haven't done enough, because it is incredibly addictive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It’s not always easy to see when your drinking has crossed the line from moderate or social use to problem drinking. But if you consume alcohol to cope with difficulties or to avoid feeling bad, you’re in potentially dangerous territory. Alcoholism and alcohol abuse can sneak up on you, so it’s important to be aware of the warning signs and take steps to cut back if you recognize them. Understanding the problem is the first step to overcoming it something that government agencies here failed to act on,as they well understand the problems alcoholism/abusive drinking costs the state.

Did I just kill the thread or is everybody gone to the pub :-)

realies wrote: »
    Did I just kill the thread or is everybody gone to the pub :-)
    Hello. :D

Hi

realies wrote: »
    Hi
    I think you're right, the have all gone to the pub or else to score.
    I'm only here cause I'm stoned and it's drizzling outside.
    Have you any good stories??

• Advertisement

I think you're right, the have all gone to the pub or else to score.
    I'm only here cause I'm stoned and it's drizzling outside.
    Have you any good stories??

Well now Cu Giobach (cant do the fada) A bit of topic but I'm always amazed to hear of air crash victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

alcohol is a gateway drug

You can't say you don't find alcohol addictive because it is, if you did enough of it your body would need it to function normally.

I know that, but as I basically drink feck all, I know it won't ever get to that point, so for all intents and purposes I don't and won't find it addictive. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Because ethanol dealers are respectable, upstanding members of d'community, many of them councillors and TDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

token101 wrote: »
    I can't tell if you're saying you have a job or you're saying you're unemployed! Either way, how has being off drink given you structure?
    And even granting structure, it says nothing about how good a person one is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Real Life wrote: »
    alcohol is a gateway drug

Hmmmmmm no it's not. I've been drinking for years and while I have tried other things out of curiosity I went back to booze.
    It's my drug of choice.

I think the reason people try to seperate the two is that booze has been legal for so long it's just considered the norm. I agree it's a drug but for all it's faults I don't think it's as bad as other drugs. All it does is amplify your current mood (yes I know there are chemicals in it that can bring you down) in my experience. If you drink when you're happy you will be happy, same as if you drink when you're angry or sad it will amplify those moods.

Back to the point though, it is not a gateway drug.

I know that, but as I basically drink feck all, I know it won't ever get to that point, so for all intents and purposes I don't and won't find it addictive. :cool:

Whether or not you personally ever become addicted to something is utterly irrelevant as to whether or not it is an addictive substance.

Using your very logic and reasoning I could say "I don't find heroin addictive", which for one of the most physically addictive substances known to man, would be just plain stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Because when most people see "drugs" they think of narcotics and dont associate the word drug with alcohol. So you have to highlight the fact that alcohol is included in this.

Drugs are bad = Glad I dont do drugs, fcukin junkies *sips pint*

Alcohol and drugs are bad = Everything is bad these days *sips pint*

Alcohol is a drug, and alcoholism is every bit as damaging as drug addiction. Alcohol addiction causes changes in the body and brain, and long-term alcohol abuse can have devastating effects on your health, your career, and your relationships. Alcoholics go through physical withdrawal when they stop drinking, just like drug users do when they quit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Hmmmmmm no it's not. I've been drinking for years and while I have tried other things out of curiosity I went back to booze.
    It's my drug of choice.

I think the reason people try to seperate the two is that booze has been legal for so long it's just considered the norm. I agree it's a drug but for all it's faults I don't think it's as bad as other drugs. All it does is amplify your current mood (yes I know there are chemicals in it that can bring you down) in my experience. If you drink when you're happy you will be happy, same as if you drink when you're angry or sad it will amplify those moods.

Back to the point though, it is not a gateway drug.

And if your good at darts you'll become a bit more dartsyer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement