Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish with American accents

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

I use an Irish accent in Ireland so I don't get beat up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

newmug wrote: »
    I think some of it has to do with people's hearing. I notice deaf people or people who are slightly hard of hearing often have American accents, probably because thats the way they are hearing everybody else speaking. They probably dont even realise they they're slightly deaf. You touched on it there AtomicJuicer when you said you find it hard to understand thick accents - maybe you're not fully hearing bits of it?

It's conceivable. Although I have the ability to hear sounds that others miss (or complain when music is too loud) I can struggle to interpret certain quick words in a group chat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

eth0 wrote: »
    Cork with a bit of Polish(?) apparently.

By way of Drogheda, probably :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I don't know any Irish people with an American accent, thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Hate fake American accents, but I think I hate this more...
    I know this American girl, only new over here, and she's started saying things like "Oirish" instead of Irish, so I asked her what that's about... apparently it's from being around Irish people. But no one in Dublin/Kildare says that!! Certainly no one she knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Hate fake American accents, but I think I hate this more...
    I know this American girl, only new over here, and she's started saying things like "Oirish" instead of Irish, so I asked her what that's about... apparently it's from being around Irish people. But no one in Dublin/Kildare says that!! Certainly no one she knows!

Actually, I believe 90% of the people who say "Oirish" are from the Greater Dublin Area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A few years ago I knew someone like what the op exactly describes.

He had a thick "american" accent. Even tho it was widely known he, at best, only spent two years of his life being in the states. And even that was here and there....Not straight. He was born and raised in Ireland.

But yet, walked around talking with an american accent :rolleyes: But the guy was a uber bullshi*ter tho. So you cant really be shocked at his fake accent. Nearly everything he said he did was proved to be a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

So what poster on boards do you hear an american voice while reading?

Sorry whoopsadaisydoodles unless you are an american, in which case double sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Any Irish person (especially D4 yokes) that hold their nose while talking needs to see a psychiatrist because this is an imbalance of normality and intelligence. They use to hold their noses up at people, now they are holding their noses to fake-talk an american accent, sorry case of human beings i say. Next time you talk to an Irish person especially from D4 watch their upper lip when they talk, it says it all. I feel sorry for them in a way. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I knew a lad who never stepped foot in america, and he behaved like your average, over-dramatic, annoying american, the lad would listen to mo-town music to try and seem more american, the whole shebang, complete arse wipe if you ask me.

I have a nigerian mate who has a proper dublin accent, when he's around his oul one, he suddenly loses the accent and has a strange kind of african accent even though he cant speak a word of his native language.

Recently had a friend that's lived in new zealand for a number of years and completely lost his irish accent, after talking to him for half an hour while he was here we had managed to flush everything new zealand out of him, he was the same old irish lad again, mental how quick people can pick up and drop an accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I knew this Irish guy he lived in America most of his life, when I met him there recently you would want to hear the American twang on him, anything for attention ehhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Actually, I believe 90% of the people who say "Oirish" are from the Greater Dublin Area

No one I or her knows even if that is the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

This is one of my pet peeves. I've met a few people like this. The funniest one was a girl from Belfast who had a full on American accent, even though they never stepped foot in America before. How you'd be born and raised in Belfast, and come out with an American accent I don't know. I used to hang around with a lad with an American-even-though-he-never-stepped-foot-in-America accent as well, and my Dad told me if me or any of my siblings ever started talking like that, he'd kick the ****e out of us. I too have noticed it's mostly rich kids who are ''emo'', into punk music like Green Day, are obsessed with American culture, and like to think their lives are **** who have this accent.

I personally think young ones who talk like that should be sent to live with no telly or Youtube on a farm in the middle of no where until they learn that they are actually Irish, and not American.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

Nuke them all and let god sort them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My nephew has a complete American accent, he even says tomato like "to-may-to" and garbage instead of rubbish. :confused:

I once rang my sisters phone and he answered, apparently she couldn't come to the phone cause she was doing the laundry.

The child has never even left the country :confused:

I blame my sister, he watches Playhouse Disney for about 9hours a day, I'm guessing its where he picked it up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

All these fake american accents are funny, One person in particular i would like to punch is the bint from the 123.ie add.. The blonde one with a mouth that looks like a fish going for a hook when she speaks

€ = ewwwero , I'ts "EURO" ye cnut! :mad: speak properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

My old man has a friend living and working in Chicago since the early seventies. About 3 months after moving there he returned home to watch Tipp in the 71 AI final. When they met him at arrivals they noticed the twang, the straw that broke the camels back however was when they were paying for pints at the hotel and he pipes up with "Geez guys I can't understand this goddam money".

didn't the money change in the early 1970's?? Could that have been the reason he couldn't understand the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The same thing happens everywhere. Accents change due to exposure to other accents. Irish accents will disappear / seriously moderate and blend with American-media influenced accents. There's nothing odd, strange or pretentious about that. It's a consequence of telecommunication and cheap travel!

Irish accents have characteristics that are more similar to US/Canadian accents than English accents so we are much more likely to slip into a US accent than a British one.

Even in the US regional accents are being replaced by California-inspired accents. Bostonian teens suddenly sound like they grew up in "the valley". Phrases, accents and dialects vanish!

Ireland will retain an identity in our accents but you can be 100% sure that our accents will slip ever increasingly towards mid Atlantic. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that either. Language is about communication more than its about a cultural badge.

Often non US English accents, even Londoners, struggle to be understood in the world of second language business English speakers where as sometimes D4 Or RTE standard English works fine as its close to US broadcast English!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

My 2 nephews and niece have slight American accents. I think its from watching so much American tv shows. Hannah Montana, Barney, Josh and Drake and various others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I occasionally put on an American accent just so I can say "fannypack".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I had an American accent for a long time because I lived and went to school there, took about two years to pick up and a lot longer to revert once I had moved back.
    Can't say I've met anyone else putting on an accent but I have found that if I'm talking to people with certain accents my accent can change to match theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I had an American accent for a long time because I lived and went to school there, took about two years to pick up and a lot longer to revert once I had moved back.
    Can't say I've met anyone else putting on an accent but I have found that if I'm talking to people with certain accents my accent can change to match theirs.

Living there is different. Your accent can slowly change to accommodate the society you live in, so that people can understand you easier. I know that when I worked in a call-centre I definitely had a 'phone voice', which I pronounced words more clearly with less of an urban accent - as our clients were British and sometimes had problems understanding our accents. I think your mind subconsciously works out that it takes much less energy to speak with a more neutral accent, than having to routinely repeat yourself.

The case of children growing up with an American accent from television - well that's just a case of piss-poor parenting. No child should be immersed in front of their television more than they are in the society they live in. Moreover - children don't have to speak back to the television, so they don't have to change their accent to accommodate a conversation. So I still find it peculiar that it occurs when everything else around them is an Irish accent.

I'm sure people in University spend years studying this phenomenon - My views are just from my own experiences with accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I wonder if it would be possible to create a sub forum in after hours for complaining, we do it a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

shortys94 wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be possible to create a sub forum in after hours for complaining, we do it a lot

And a sub sub forum for people complaining about people complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I lived in Artane/Coolock for four years and my American accent got thicker.

It beat the alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

That often havn't even been to the States and if they have it was only for a few weeks. Whats the story with these people, do they put in a concious effort to put on this accent?

The accent would usually be picked up from watching shoite American TV or Youtoob. Worst case the lads actually think and act like they are a character in their favourite American sitcom, these are the most annoying type; absolute insufferable gobsh1tes of the highest order. I have met a few of these, one of them is obsessed with a certain piece of kit called a Pandaboard. He started blathering on about this and using it as a media server sending TCP packets like he was a proper Starbucks-drinking San Francisco nerdhead.

Another lad I used to know seemed to reject anything traditionally Irish so he must have put on the accent for this reason, last time I seen him he was on some anti-religious rant. Went to college with him, one day someone asked him where in the States he was from. The lad was from Knocknaheeney, he should have been saying "c'mere to me boy, you're a tool!" not "Hey Guys check out this awesome CAUW-ffee".
    In the same class there was another happy-go-lucky sitcom fella, he was seriously annoying now. Like the pandaboard lad the blood pressure would just start to rise as soon as he opened his mouth.

Craig Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I've been over here 8 months and I can safely say that I could see it happening if you were hanging around and living with Americans for a few years.
    Since I'm living with 2 other Irish people, my accent has only become stronger but I do have to speak slower and more clearly when talking to Americans.

Any J1'ers that come home after 2/3 months with an accent though are pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My sister has this going on sometimes. It doesn't bother me too much when it's just me and her as sometimes it enhances her humour.
    Other times she puts on a big bogger accent and that is equally as bad.

I only really become conscious of it when she's talking to people she doesn't know coz I know that deep down inside, they are judging her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

There were some sand doons on the nooz today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im from balbriggan and living in canada now, and in many cases people don't notice that i have an accent any more

stick me in a room with another irish person though, and it comes back ten fold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

RikkFlair wrote: »
    And a sub sub forum for people complaining about people complaining.

Pretty sure there was no complaint made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

People sometimes say I've an American accent, don't know what they're on about tbh, to an American I sound nothing like it. Besides American accents are even more varied than Irish. I would say have a fairly nondescript accent when surrounded by thick Irish accents, but if I'm abroad and you hear my voice contrasted with foreign accents you would definitely be able to tell I am Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

It isn't an American accent. It only sounds slightly American to another Irish person. Everyone else hears the Irish accent. Mostly it's probably picked up from TV or movies.

I grew up in Dublin with parents from Limerick and Wexford. But my accent isn't close to any of those. People from outside Dublin would ask if I was English but to an English person I had a thick Irish accent.

As far as I was concerned I didn't even have an accent. I doubt if many people put on a fake accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

rKossi wrote: »

that's not close to an american accent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Helix wrote: »

Pwortner, explewsions, hearry podder spaawls? If its not an American accent, where in Ireland would you place it then?

Pwortner, explewsions, hearry podder spaawls? If its not an American accent, where in Ireland would you place it then?

its a south side dublin accent

it's also called speaking properly

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Its a spud-in-the-mouth accent. I know there are a few muppets in the South of Dublin who talk like that because they think it elevates their social status while ironically doing the opposite, but there's not a drop of a real Dublin accent in there. Its anything but speaking properly.

• Advertisement

Its a spud-in-the-mouth accent. I know there are a few muppets in the South of Dublin who talk like that because they think it elevates their social status while ironically doing the opposite, but there's not a drop of a real Dublin accent in there. Its anything but speaking properly.

they don't talk like that because they think anything. they talk like that because that's the accent they pick up when they're growing up. it's the exact same reason you talk like you do

South-Side Dublin Accent isn't 'speaking properly'.

dlofnep wrote: »
    South-Side Dublin Accent isn't 'speaking properly'.

it's speaking a hell of a lot more properly than some of the awful irish accents

just to point out too, im not actually from the south side. i just find it nonsensical that people routinely try to claim they sound like american accents. have they never actually heard an american accent or something?

they don't talk like that because they think anything. they talk like that because that's the accent they pick up when they're growing up. it's the exact same reason you talk like you do

But thats just the point, that gossin will talk like that because he picked it up, but 20 years ago NOBODY spoke like that. His parents obviously had the fool-hardiness to go around speaking like American tourists, and now the child will too. 20 years ago those same people would have been putting on an english accent for the same reason, ala Ann Doyle, Philip Boucher-Hayes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

last time I seen him

You are giving out about how some people speak and that it annoys you , well this bugs the ****e out of me !

it's speaking a hell of a lot more properly than some of the awful irish accents

No, it isn't I'm afraid. The dialect of English spoken in Ireland is Hiberno-English, and it's spoken perfectly by the majority of the Irish population. We don't live in England, and are not bound to their norms.

Whether or not the south-Dublin accent is naturally acquired or consciously exaggerated, most people still view it as an effort to distance yourself from Irish culture. But most importantly, it's just plain irritating to listen to.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it isn't I'm afraid. The dialect of English spoken in Ireland is Hiberno-English, and it's spoken perfectly by the majority of the Irish population. We don't live in England, and are not bound to their norms.

Whether or not the south-Dublin accent is naturally acquired or consciously exaggerated, most people still view it as an effort to distance yourself from Irish culture. But most importantly, it's just plain irritating to listen to.

irish culture doesn't have to involve speaking like an inbred hick to be fair

irish culture doesn't have to involve speaking like an inbred hick to be fair

Yeah, that's not elitist at all. I'd rather speak like a hick, than like a prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

The "south side" accent can be heard in many parts of the northside too I'm afraid. First years in colleges from the country would manage to pick it up within six months.

I grew up in Rathfarnham and no one spoke like that until a decade or so ago. New houses, new money, American tv and people with parents from the country moving in were all factors in it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

Well it's certainly not an Irish accent.

Perfect example of a kid spending too much time watching telly and Youtube in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

When I start college in September, I give permission to each and every member of my family and friends to beat the crap out of me if I start to talk like a south-side snob. I would sooner die :L

• Advertisement
Advertisement