Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Have a Pet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Abi wrote: »
    They are a lovely dog. You'd want to be very active and walk them a lot. If you haven't already, get her a farmers leg, she'll love it :)

Yeah she loves long walks, especially if she can get off the lead and chase other dogs around the park/beach and smell EVERYTHING. What's a Farmer's Leg? if it's meat and smells strongly I'm sure she'd love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrVoracious

I have 2 8 year old goldfish and a load of little baby ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I have a cat and two dogs. The cat is the boss of everyone. They were all strays at one point.

I don't trust a person who doesn't like animals - I've never met one I could get on with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

"We" have a cat who we love dearly :rolleyes:. "We" made a decision that we should never get a dog. Dogs, apparently, are more trouble than they are worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I have two gorgeous rescue kittens, they are so affectionate, always come up for kisses and cuddles, one of them is the more chatty one, she absolutely loves for you to talk to her, she responds really well to her name. The other one is the big show off when other people are around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NovabooM

We've three dogs in our family;

Cody a 12 year old minature yorkie, he looks like a meerkat. Incredibly cute, barks at everything.

Lily a 7 year old jumbo yorkie, after 7 years the only words she responds to is 'Ham' and 'Chicken'. Spends her days growling at animals on tv.

Last but not least, the Northside Special himself;

Charlie a 2 year old dog, who we still can't establish his parentage fully. The best way to describe him is like a black lab face, with whippet/greyhound body, collie markings, paws the size of canoes and the weird ability to hop about like a kangaroo. He may act like a kid addicted to skittles but he is by far the most obedient/intelligent of all 3 dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I have a cat who is about 12. It's my the best cat ever. It used to follow me to school like a dog in the mornings. It even followed me into my friends house through the window one day and we had to keep putting it out.

I also have two dogs, and look after another 2 also. They're great.
    I've been lying on the couch with one of the dogs watching TV. :D

We used to have so many more pets it was actually crazy. We had fish, birds and a turtle. The cat would try catch the fish, the dogs would then chase the cat and the turtle got lost in the back garden for a few months:o

When any of them die I think a bit of me will too. Animals are the best. I've been watching a BBC wildlife about crocodiles. Reminded me of Steve Irwin. He was an absolute legend. I wish he was still alive:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 insertcoinhere

5 cats 2 axolotls 1 turtle 5 toads.... think thats it, oh and a few fish

Yes, his name is... oh that kind of pet.
    :pac:

have two doggies
    love them to bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

used to have a pet dog.. miss him :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

A nest of cockroaches somewhere in the flat and some fruit flies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

:( My first pet; a hamster. If I remember correctly his name was Pikachu. We used to let him run around the sitting room every Saturday night and one night someone stepped right beside him which apparently scared the poor thing to death. Heart attack maybe?

I had two budgies; Joey and Feathers until fairly recently. Joey died sometime last year. He seemed perfectly healthy with a good appetite and I still have no idea how he died, I just found him lying on the floor of the cage while the other one just stared at him and it also happened to be a horrible day with a filthy dark overcast outside.

A few months ago No.2 died. He just kind of sat there on the cage with his eyes closed and took no notice of anyone like he usually had. As the day went by he kept falling off the perch and rolled along the floor of the cage. In one word he just went insane that day and died that night. Very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Ive got a Staffy called Lady Lucy :D she awesome... :cool: she's also point trained as well :cool:...
    When I get my own house, My first dog will be Rottweiler. They are possibly the best dog or bread I've ever come across!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I have 2 dogs. A nearly 3 year old blue great dane and a jack russell that wandered into our yard as a stray this time last year (actually the weather was very similar to the way it is now, found him outside sopping wet), we think he's about 3/4. Two of them are like they were born in the same litter they get on so well.

I had wanted a great dane since I was 8 years old and was finally in a position 3 years ago to get one, love him to bits. He is the most loyal, placid dog I've ever met in my life. He is my best friend forever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I have a pet cockroach, he is wonderful, I do have a great laugh with him of an evening, I let him run up and down the table and he makes me laugh sliding all over the place (I put oil on it so he can have more fun), he lost most of his family when he was very young and has become very clingy because of this,

his favourite TV show is the Simpson's he loves the itchy and scratchy sketches, we sit there in stitches, then I look down at him wondering what type of life he might of had if his family had made it across the border it brings a tear to my eye every time,

just yesterday he said to me, hey 3 how come you don't got no woman's, I told him I didn't need one I told him our friendship was enough, he beamed a big smile back at me,

well that's my pet William, heez the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We have a 1 year old dog called Sonni. (didn't name him that...was a rescue dog and came with that name!) Here he is...and here.

We also have two goldfish. My brother named one of them deadmau5 (morts)...think the other one was named sophie or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Senna wrote: »
    The thread confirms my belief that cats are a waste of a life form, why would anyone want a cat when even their owners don't like them.

A cat is something you just have around. Ach, I love cats but dogs, they just rule.

Cats climb and stuff but dogs lick you and are just more fun. Plus wolves and foxes are cooler.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

K-9 wrote: »
    A cat is something you just have around. Ach, I love cats but dogs, they just rule.

Cats climb and stuff but dogs lick you and are just more fun. Plus wolves and foxes are cooler.

Thats just silly and you know it. The whole "cats are horrible, and dogs r best" argument is bloody stupid. They're 2 different animals with different personality types, and those that say cats show no affection or are never grateful of anything have clearly never owned a cat, and if they did then they treated it wrong or took a negative attitude and formed their own wrong mindset on it.

Both cats and dogs are great, I love them both so much but cats show affection too, they're loving social animals with a bit more independance.
    I know many a cat to react upon seeing their owner or somebody they like. I have cats frequently come up to me and hop up on my lap while loudly meowing, then snuggling, you can sense their excitement.
    The argument to this by the close minded people are "they're just begging for food, then they'll feck off and not care". Not true what so ever, but they do that too. Just like dogs do! Dogs would beg till the cows come home for a bit of grub. What domesticated animal wont?
    Plus wolves and foxes are cooler.

Tigers and Lions are more cooler :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Thats just silly and you know it. The whole "cats are horrible, and dogs r best" argument is bloody stupid. They're 2 different animals with different personality types, and those that say cats show no affection or are never grateful of anything have clearly never owned a cat, and if they did then they treated it wrong or took a negative attitude and formed their own wrong mindset on it.

Both cats and dogs are great, I love them both so much but cats show affection too, they're loving social animals with a bit more independance.
    I know many a cat to react upon seeing their owner or somebody they like. I have cats frequently come up to me and hop up on my lap while loudly meowing, then snuggling, you can sense their excitement.
    The argument to this by the close minded people are "they're just begging for food, then they'll feck off and not care". Not true what so ever, but they do that too. Just like dogs do! Dogs would beg till the cows come home for a bit of grub. What domesticated animal wont?

Tigers and Lions are more cooler :cool:

But I said I love cats. ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

K-9 wrote: »
    But I said I love cats. ;)

I know but I just felt like putting out my argument against the whole cat vs dog thing anyway for other past replies too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yes, I have a cat and two turtles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

2 beagles, soon to be a lot more, one of them is pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have two terrapins/water turtles. I more or less rescued them from my sister, they're a lot different from what I expected of turtles, they're full of personality. Ones a vegetarian and the others a stone cold killer and only eats meat.

They love attention which was surprising and go to great lengths to get it, they also love having their back scratched and do a little dance when you do it.

The turtle dance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Damn Scumlord, I always thought you had a pet zombie you created with science and kept in a basement of some sort to experiment on, just to provide accurate answers to our Z-day survival fanatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Damn Scumlord, I always thought you had a pet zombie you created with science and kept in a basement of some sort to experiment on, just to provide accurate answers to our Z-day survival fanatics.
    I wouldn't call him a pet as such, and they don't last long enough to get attached to them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wouldn't call him a pet as such, and they don't last long enough to get attached to them anyway.

mmmh about that invite round to dinner, think ill pass. Have to return to investigating the spate of homeless disappearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

0000879k wrote: »
    Yep a dog. He's the worst behaved pet I ever met. He regularly farts on people, jumps on them, tries to shift them, steals shoes, socks, anything he can get his paws on really.
    He's great & I wouldn't be without him.

MARLEY IS BACK FROM THE DEAD?
    Not as bad as Marley but not great either.
    He likes a bit of tongue action though, male or female :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Yes iv a brazen little cat:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I've a big softhearted dog. Spend all my money on her!

I went on holidays the other week & brought her back a present! Just mad about that dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Abi wrote: »
    They are a lovely dog. You'd want to be very active and walk them a lot. If you haven't already, get her a farmers leg, she'll love it :)
    Please elaborate on the 'farmers leg'. What is it, where do you get it, and do I have to trap a farmer?
    (not for me btw, I don't have a dog)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had a rabbit for a while, but it was too much responsibility! Feeding it, cleaning the cage...

Remind me never to have kids! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

I'm doggy sitting this weekend. Toby the miniature yorkshire terrier is snuggled up beside me :D
    iv a yorksire terrier called toby too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes we have a king charles dog

really cute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Two cats and three rabbits, I have :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

RumDrinker wrote: »
    I have a cat.

C'mon that's been to the taxidermist.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

2 Cats.......Tika and Ginger (better known as whinger or just whinge :P :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

bluewolf wrote: »

... That's a nice fuzzy cushion you got there ...

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Two dogs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

2 Big Labs, both Legends......
    Bradley.jpg
    Noodle.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I love animals but unfortunately i cant have any at the moment due to where i'm living. Over the years i have had the following pets..

Donkey
    Jack russell
    Labrador
    German Shepherd
    Hamsters (4)
    Cats (6)
    Zebra Finches (2)
    Budgies (20+)
    Cockatiels (3)
    Pheasants (3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Currently:
    6wk old GS X Collie pup - Bradley
    2yr old tortoiseshell cat - Harley
    1.5yr old garter snake - Pippa
    7yr old Chinese soft-shell turtle - Squidgy Mc Mole
    And my son is getting an axolotl next week, says it'll be called axeman.

Desperately trying not to let this house turn into a zoo as has happen to me in previous years, before my son came along I spent my time looking after rescue reptiles and other animals, I had never intended to, but after taking one rescue word kinda spread and I was getting calls every week asking me to take some poor critter in. I just can't say no!

At one stage I was caring for 8 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, 3 YBS turtles, 1 chinese softshell, 1 garter snake, 1 Californian king snake, 4 bearded dragons, 1 veiled chameleon, 2 shield tailed agama, 1 water dragon, 3 newts, and 5 tree frogs!!!! Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Currently:
    6wk old GS X Collie pup - Bradley
    2yr old tortoiseshell cat - Harley
    1.5yr old garter snake - Pippa
    7yr old Chinese soft-shell turtle - Squidgy Mc Mole
    And my son is getting an axolotl next week, says it'll be called axeman.

Desperately trying not to let this house turn into a zoo as has happen to me in previous years, before my son came along I spent my time looking after rescue reptiles and other animals, I had never intended to, but after taking one rescue word kinda spread and I was getting calls every week asking me to take some poor critter in. I just can't say no!

At one stage I was caring for 8 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, 3 YBS turtles, 1 chinese softshell, 1 garter snake, 1 Californian king snake, 4 bearded dragons, 1 veiled chameleon, 2 shield tailed agama, 1 water dragon, 3 newts, and 5 tree frogs!!!! Jesus!

Fair play to you. I admire that (don't think I could do it), but I admire you. It's big hearted people like you who make up for all the awful people who don't treat their pets properly or dump them when they get bored. Kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I've a GSD x Akita called Diego (name stolen from Ice Age) whom I love so much I brought over here to Australia when I moved. :-) He's an absolute clown of a dog, some day soon I'll convince herself to let me get him a friend - a rescue staffy probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Two cats and three rabbits, I have :cool:

Do the cats ever try to eat the rabbits? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Five Cats, Five Chiuahus and a Pug. Fun times cleaning their ****e.

I imported a Wolf from the US a few years back.

Also tempted to buy one of the more trainable and impressive looking Birds of Prey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have 5 cats, 2 fish, a dog and a snake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Johro wrote: »
    Please elaborate on the 'farmers leg'. What is it, where do you get it, and do I have to trap a farmer?
    (not for me btw, I don't have a dog)

It may be the same as a postmans leg though I'm not a hundred percent sure!!!????

Postmans leg is a lump of a bone about the size of your arm for the dogs to chew on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

This Mojo our bearded dragon...lovely wee dude, have him three years now.
    He loves nothing more than to sit on my shoulder and watch the tv!!

Pics a bit old at this stage
    7642522802_e98efe14b6.jpg

And this is the new addition :D Einstein the standard schnauzer pup.
    This guy is just feckin adorable, really laid back and playful.... housebreaking him at the moment and he got the hang of it so quickly.

7642520882_651a6d3dfb.jpg

Advertisement