Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who polluted Clare's beautiful beaches?

• 21-07-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭

Just a bit of a follow on to a thread during the last week. A boiled egg to whoever guesses first as to who polluted Lahinch, Kilkee and Spainish Point beaches. FFS it hard enough for the restaurant/hotel industry within out having to put up with this crap. Time for the EPA to take the polluters to task.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0720/pollution-fears-at-three-co-clare-beaches.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

it wasnt me.... even if my neighbours wife reports me:p seriously though thats not good for tourism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Just a bit of a follow on to a thread during the last week. A boiled egg to whoever guesses first as to who polluted Lahinch, Kilkee and Spainish Point beaches. FFS it hard enough for the restaurant/hotel industry within out having to put up with this crap. Time for the EPA to take the polluters to task.

The authorities don't like taking on the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Yep, the State itself is the biggest polluter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

pakalasa wrote: »
    Yep, the State itself is the biggest polluter.

Bord na mona are the worst in a dry year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bord na mona are the worst in a dry year.

I think its more to do with local authority sewerage schemes whose treatment systems release "treated" sewerage into our rivers and seas.

During heavy rainfall (Like last week) these treatment systems can flood and untreated sewerage can flow direct to the river or sea as happened in Clare this week.

Bad planning, poor design, poor construction are some of the causes.
    Some would argue that the treatment systems in place don't treat the sewerare to a high enough standard to be able to release it into the water.

In recent years many villages along the upper shannon have had sewerage systems put in place. Its no coincidence that water schemes that draw water off the shannon have seen their quality decrease over the last few years with frequent boil notices in place and high instances on ecoli.

There is a lot to be said for the septic tank!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

reilig wrote: »
    I think its more to do with local authority sewerage schemes whose treatment systems release "treated" sewerage into our rivers and seas.

During heavy rainfall (Like last week) these treatment systems can flood and untreated sewerage can flow direct to the river or sea as happened in Clare this week.

Bad planning, poor design, poor construction are some of the causes.
    Some would argue that the treatment systems in place don't treat the sewerare to a high enough standard to be able to release it into the water.

In recent years many villages along the upper shannon have had sewerage systems put in place. Its no coincidence that water schemes that draw water off the shannon have seen their quality decrease over the last few years with frequent boil notices in place and high instances on ecoli.

There is a lot to be said for the septic tank!!

I have seen it over the years when after a considerable dry period, heavy rain washes fine silt into the rivers coming off the bogs. The silt then gets into the gills and the fish suffocate. Not many septic tanks near us and the water is still poorish. Councils arnt simple either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

what I find strange about the lifting of the ban on swimming is only yesterday I heard the DOS (Director of Services of Environment) for Clare Co Co state that they had tested the water again on friday and results would be back on Sunday and until then the ban would be in place. So today is only Saturday. I wonder what are the levels of E-coli in the water at present in the bays, and how come the ban was able to be lifted before sample results were returned. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I put my hands up, I was fishing on lahinch beach the other night and took a piss while I was there, my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

what I find strange about the lifting of the ban on swimming is only yesterday I heard the DOS (Director of Services of Environment) for Clare Co Co state that they had tested the water again on friday and results would be back on Sunday and until then the ban would be in place. So today is only Saturday. I wonder what are the levels of E-coli in the water at present in the bays, and how come the ban was able to be lifted before sample results were returned. :mad:

Think of the scene in Jaws 1 where the local Chamber of Commerce guys gang up on the sherrif over his closure of the beaches. "This place needs the summer" etc. Hard to blame those guys, the rain stops and someone decides to close the beaches desipte the fact that they are under legal limits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Think of the scene in Jaws 1 where the local Chamber of Commerce guys gang up on the sherrif over his closure of the beaches. "This place needs the summer" etc. Hard to blame those guys, the rain stops and someone decides to close the beaches desipte the fact that they are under legal limits.

Lahinch and Killkee are forty miles apart with Spanish Point in between.
    Could imagine one or maybe even two of them getting some effect from ag run off. Surely the chances of all three all on the same day are minimal!!!!
    I suspect there was some fkukc up in the testing process especially since the closure order was rescinded within one day and again on all three locations.

I smell a fairly large sized rodent here !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Lahinch and Killkee are forty miles apart with Spanish Point in between.
    Could imagine one or maybe even two of them getting some effect from ag run off. Surely the chances of all three all on the same day are minimal!!!!
    I suspect there was some fkukc up in the testing process especially since the closure order was rescinded within one day and again on all three locations.

I smell a fairly large sized rodent here !!!
    I was thinking the same. Lahinch is a bit of a bay alright, and a big one at that, but Kilkee & Spanish Point. Spanish point is practically out in the ocean, and a very rough ocean at that. Something strange alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Big hotel right on the beach in Spannish point? Not much room for a sewage treatment plant between it and the beach.......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

blue5000 wrote: »
    Big hotel right on the beach in Spannish point? Not much room for a sewage treatment plant between it and the beach.......
    2 hotels, large caravan park, tons of houses and a few old religious buildings belonging to the nuns. Point being the nuns are like the untouchables and how good a system they have in place heavens knows! Their poo might be blessed but it's not sterile;). Oh, and did I mention the river?! Funnily enough the hotels have relatively new treatment systems at a time when the CoCo has been clued into same. There are so many potential sources it's hard to know where it's coming from. It possibly a small bit from here and there, including upto a few miles away due to river, and just with the sheer volume the normal dilution effect isn't working. Not an expert so all just postulation on my behalf.

As an aside it really is annoying (language muted as this is a public forum!) that during the 10yr period of the tiger when huge contributions were been taken in the Council didn't put that money to where it is supposed to go i.e. provision of services such as proper sewage treatment:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Did anyone notice the stream that flows into the sea about halfway along Spanish point beach. Its rank with sh1t and what not comming from the main sewer in Miltown Malbay plus all the one off houses, holiday homes etc all adding to it.
    The sand around where the stream spreads out onto the beach has a rank smell as well. I`d recommend wearing a full chemical suit to anyone going there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

Grecco wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the stream that flows into the sea about halfway along Spanish point beach. Its rank with sh1t and what not comming from the main sewer in Miltown Malbay plus all the one off houses, holiday homes etc all adding to it.
    The sand around where the stream spreads out onto the beach has a rank smell as well. I`d recommend wearing a full chemical suit to anyone going there :D
    ya it did stink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

NAMA is the biggest polluter in Clare, and in most other counties as well:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

BeeDI wrote: »
    NAMA is the biggest polluter in Clare, and in most other counties as well:cool:

yes but, that by default, I actually would question that and I bet its either semi state company or else the governing authority are the biggest polluters

Advertisement