Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Captain Americas like? (Blanchardstown)

Options
  • 21-07-2012 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm catching up with some friends on Tuesday. We were going for food and some drinks. One of them suggested captain Americas for both. I've never been before, what's it like? Is it just casual dress?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Most of he time it is just Smart casual but on Sunday Afternoons it can be quite formal.
    Sports jacket, Suit, nice shirt and trousers is ususlly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hi Dylan. It really depends what time you're going at and what type of buzz your after. They do very good lunch specials if its a lunchtime meet up. Its adverstised in the main window, something like 11.99 for two courses and a drink I think.

If you're going in the evening, they have Captain's LIVE upstairs. This is a full bar and features live acts/dj's/karaoke, depending on the night.

Have fun :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

nudger wrote: »
    Most of he time it is just Smart casual but on Sunday Afternoons it can be quite formal.
    Sports jacket, Suit, nice shirt and trousers is ususlly fine.

Ignore this, jeans and a t-shirt any time is fine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

From personal experience and not having a go, avoid avoid avoid Captains Live.

• Paddys night went up to see Steve cooper play , bands and mates of mates kept playing and asked the bouncer and told he wasn’t playing tonight (fairly unpleasant bouncer, couldn’t speak to herself properly). Steve turns up and doesn’t end up playing, gave up and went home.
    • Went up another night, got to the top of the stairs and told @ the door we can’t go in as someone has booked it for their wedding. There was a sign on the inside of the main door facing inwards.
    • A few times we have gone up after the Bell (before twelve) and it was locked up or soon to be closed.
    • Problems ordering drinks, pint bottles of bulmers I think it was, then in the smoking area/roof bar they only sell Carlsberg or one of them as they sponsor the bar.
    • The promotions and nights/entertainment has changed so much, it’s impossible to keep track.
    • Layout/ seating plan leaves a lot to be desired.

Again all feedback and not having a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

It's a Pizza/Burger joint with a bar, think T.G.I's, full of kid's party's on weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

never been but heard bad things about the quality of the food, soon after they opened.
    The may have improved since, havent had any recent reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I've always found their food mediocre both in Grafton St and the one time I tried the Blanch outlet. TGI's is much better for atmosphere as well as the food and nicer bar area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've been for food a couple of times, disappointed on each occasion, and wont be going back. Wouldn't consider it as a place to meet for drinks either.
    Maybe upstairs is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

went once to see what it was like. found out what it was like and won't ever be going back.

about the nicest thing i can say about the place is that it would be an okay place for a kids party if you weren't too fussy about the quality of food you put in your kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought it was brutal. Dark, food was awful and the music way too loud. TGI's isn't much better either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think it's grand. Big portions, good value, nice pizzas. Their 'healthy lunch' is hilarious though. I ended up with a massive bowl of chilli with rice, half a potato skin and a big bowl of chips.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think it's grand. Big portions, good value, nice pizzas. Their 'healthy lunch' is hilarious though. I ended up with a massive bowl of chilli with rice, half a potato skin and a big bowl of chips.

Copied straight from the menu in Yore Ma's Lounge in BGRH I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I live not too far from it and work right next to the shopping centre, and I have been 3 times since the place opened. I'll never be going back as the food has been a massive disappointment on each occasion. Cheap, bland, rubbish food literally thrown on the plate. You'd get a better burger AND a nicer atmosphere in Burger King any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

A great refuge for the career dole heads who use it to take the family out on a treat on Wednesdays and Thursdays after collecting their money in the post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

When i went there about 12months ago the food was dirt, burger was like a microwave burger all soggy and sauce was crispy dry on the plate.

Awful first time for food, went to see a comedy show upstairs and it wasn't bad if a little small.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've been to the Blanch Captain Americas a couple of times and it's been fine. It lacks the atmosphere of the original Grafton St restaurant for sure, but I found the portions to be generous and the staff friendly.

Mind you, that was about a year ago so it could have gone downhill since. I much prefer Captain Americas to TGI Fridays any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I've been to it a good few times and always found the food to be nice and tasty... I wouldn't have any complaints about the food. I haven't been to the venue upstairs, but it looks nice. Rooftop bar looks cool as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

I have been there a couple of times last year, both to eat and upstair. personally i think the food is good, and upstair was nice too. It was suggested by a friedn because they had a nice open mic night where players could meet and play. unfortunately they removed this night from the schedule. now it looks like any normal commercial place....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Everything tases better when it's 1/2 price.

From Bargain Alerts

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79776461

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i finally got to check the place out last night and I thought the food was very nice. No complaints and not too pricy no more so than TGIs or them kinda places... 3 yoyo for my pint of Guniess helped also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement