Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know dublin well enough to never get lost?

Options
  • 21-07-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Basically im trying to find out of anyone here know Dublin that well that they know every part of Dublin and would be able to navigate around it with ease?

Maybe taxi drivers do,but does anyone here?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its a small city.

Hard enough to get lost in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

I'd never get lost in the city or the surrounding redbrick areas, north or south. Further afield is a different question but if you know north and south you're good enough.

I have friends who always get lost at Capel St, I just can't understand how they live with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I got lost today walking from Crumlin Village to Sundrive. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

they know every part of Dublin
    City and County?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Lapin wrote: »
    Its a small city.

Trying to get into/out of Marino always confused me. The Tenters is a bit of a maze as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i know 99% with my eyes closed. the only places i havent been in is clonsilla/mulhuddart

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Have to say Dublin is one of the most confusing cities I know. Moved to the city centre more than 2 years ago and I still get lost when I venture further south than St Stephen's Green :D

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Its a small city.

I wouldn't call Dublin a small city at all, its footprint is larger than many cities of much greater population, due mainly to low denisty planning. Certainly, if you're looking for an address in the coombe, or in the north inner city, without a map and prior knowledge, you could easily get lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

It could also be conceivably difficult to get lost without adequate directions in and around Clandalkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Basically im trying to find out of anyone here know Dublin that well that they know every part of Dublin and would be able to navigate around it with ease?

Maybe taxi drivers do,but does anyone here?

Haha, You're joking right?
    Taxi drivers in Dublin are a joke. I say 99.9% of them have not a clue where they're going. I have to direct all of them, and I'm not even a Dub.

I grew up in London, where London cabbie's have to pass a series of exams before they get their cabbie license. If they don't know the London A-Z backwards then no taxi license. Same should be brought in here imo.

Also, on the subject of Irish taxi drivers, it really has gone to ridiculous levels. I arived in Heuston Station last Sunday evenings to chaotic taxi scenes. It was like when you're on holiday and you get harrassed by locals trying to sell you loads of stuff. At the ticket exit gates they're was three taxi drivers touting for buisness. I went out to the designated taxi queue, and loads of drivers had just skipped to the front of the queue, and were shouting out the window telling me they were free. I thought this was incredibly poor form for the other taxis drivers who had waited in the queue. All in all, not a pleasant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its a big city.

Easy enough to get lost in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its a small city.

Agree.

Though I wouldn't quite term it a small city; its an average/medium city that has rather unique planning characteristics given the Romans never set up camp here. In other words its all over the shop. Dublin outside of D1/D2 is comprised of villages that have been subsumed into the city - Ranelagh/Rathmines/Phibsboro/Drumcondra/Raheny/Santry etc etc. In my experience if you know the location of these villages then you'll never get lost.

Plus in the smartphone age I don't think theres any excuse to get properly lost anymore.
    panda100 wrote: »
    Haha, You're joking right?
    Taxi drivers in Dublin are a joke. I say 99.9% of them have not a clue where they're going. I have to direct all of them, and I'm not even a Dub.

I grew up in London, where London cabbie's have to pass a series of exams before they get their cabbie license. If they don't know the London A-Z backwards then no taxi license. Same should be brought in here imo.

Also, on the subject of Irish taxi drivers, it really has gone to ridiculous levels. I arived in Heuston Station last Sunday evenings to chaotic taxi scenes. It was like when you're on holiday and you get harrassed by locals trying to sell you loads of stuff. At the ticket exit gates they're was three taxi drivers touting for buisness. I went out to the designated taxi queue, and loads of drivers had just skipped to the front of the queue, and were shouting out the window telling me they were free. I thought this was incredibly poor form for the other taxis drivers who had waited in the queue. All in all, not a pleasant experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knowledge#The_Knowledge

Should have something similar over here imo.

One thing I've noticed lately with cabbies is they've started beeping at you touting for business if your walking down the street. Happens all the time in the US but this is the first I've seen of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

That touting business would be annoying I'd imagine.

cson wrote: »
    Agree.

Though I wouldn't quite term it a small city; its an average/medium city that has rather unique planning characteristics given the Romans never set up camp here.

Most cities inhabited by the Romans bear little resemblence in their layout to what they did in Roman times, (including Rome itself). Of those that do, only a small core of that city has any Roman structure.

Many European cities of a similar size to Dublin have been rebuilt following destruction since WWII to a pattern, making them less difficult to get lost in than the medieval narrow streets they replaced.

Of the great cities, London was rebuilt after the Great fire of 1666 in a style that later influenced Baron Haussmann when he laid out the plans for the transormation of Paris under Napolean III.

The Dublin we see today was mostly influenced by the Wide Street Commision from the mid 18th century.

The centre of Dublin is relatively small and easy to navigate on foot. Using the Liffey and a few prominent streets as focal points it is quite easy for anyone to keep their bearings. Saying that, we all know people with no sense of direction who would get lost in a phonebox!

The inner suburban villages of Dublin, Ranelagh/Rathmines/Phibsboro/Drumcondra/Raheny/etc all fan out from the centre along the old main roads out of town and as such are easy to find.

As for the outer suburbs, these are mainly late 20th century housing estates with little to distinguish them from similar eatates elsewhere in other Irish towns and cities and their homogenoeus design is not unique to Dublin. Therefore it would be as easy for a stranger to get lost in Oldbawn Dublin as it would in Renmore Galway, Dooradoyle Limerick or Blackpool Cork etc.

Easy enough to get lost in.

Strange admission for a Mod in this Forum.

I'd expect you of all people to know your way around Dublin. ;)

Next time you get lost, give me a shout and I'll put you right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

How can people not get lost? I mean if your from a place and thst place is not skerries. You find yourself in a back lane or some random road in skerries and you've never been in skerries before. How would that not make you lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

In fairness Dublin is the same size as Berlin in the area it covers, difference is in the density of the housing. I don't know my way around the many roads of different areas of the southside / west Dublin, but I know the main roads well enough to recognize them once I'm on them. Simple rule when lost in Dublin is look for a main road and it will quite likely lead to town, the majority of main road s in Dublin are the older roads that used to lead out of the city.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Its impossible to get lost in the city centre but once you hit the suburbs it is a nightmare.

i managed to be unable to find the street that has Solas on it the other day so there we go

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

In Dublin City Centre, no. I might not know all the street names but I do know where I am, if you know what I mean. As for the suburbs, I'm unfamiliar with a lot of suburbs on the Northside and would no doubt get lost in most of them. Suburbs all tend to look the same anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

One thing I've noticed lately with cabbies is they've started beeping at you touting for business if your walking down the street. Happens all the time in the US but this is the first I've seen of it here.

Yeah I've seen this in recent months and I never saw it before

You might be standing on the footpath doing something with your mobile or ipod and the driver on the other side of the road will beep and wave at you

No need for it, if I want you I'll flag you down

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Though I wouldn't quite term it a small city;

It's small! From O'Connell Bridge to the M50 it's only:

7km-7.5km northbound
    7.5km via Finglas
    8.5km via Cabra
    9km via Chapelizod
    8.5km via Crumlin
    10km via Terenure
    9.5 via Sandyford

Dublin is far from an example of great planning, but it's still small enough.

RMD wrote: »
    In fairness Dublin is the same size as Berlin in the area it covers, difference is in the density of the housing.

Where are you getting this from?

According to these stats, Dublin fits into Berlin 2.7 times:

Rank|City / Urban area|Country|Population|Land area (in sqKm)|Density (people per sqKm)
    65|Berlin|Germany|3,675,000|984|3,750
    80|Dublin|Ireland|1,075,000|365|2,950

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Don't ever remember ever being lost in Dublin apart from one time a few weeks back I was trying to find a house in the back arse of Rathfarmham, turns out the 16 doesn't stop as close to my mates gaff as she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I got lost during my first couple of weeks in Dublin looking for a Curry's. I google mapped it and it sent me down Cork St and into an estate. Before I knew it I was at St Theresa's Gardens looking down Donore Terrace. As I walked back to Cork St I noticed a street called O'Curry Avenue. There might have been a corner shop or something there at one point called Curry's.

I was lucky to escape with my life...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Nobody could know the wealth of estates in the suburbs, I'd know the bus routes to get across the city laterally and work from there. anti-clockwise from Portmarnock to Blackrock...102, 43, 104, 17A, 76, 75, 18, 17.

The city centre isn't helped by the likes of Richmond St, Camden St, Aungier St, Georges' St and Wexford St all essentially merging into one straight road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Don't ever remember ever being lost in Dublin apart from one time a few weeks back I was trying to find a house in the back arse of Rathfarmham, turns out the 16 doesn't stop as close to my mates gaff as she said.

A couple of years ago I was trying to find Landscape Avenue, Churchtown. On foot. At one point I ended up in Dundrum! That was a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you were blindfolded and dropped to an obscure location I don't think it would take much more than 5 minutes driving to get to a road where I'd know where I am. On foot is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

panda100 wrote: »
    ... and were shouting out the window telling me they were free
    They won't make much money if they don't charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Auld lad works for the Ordnance Survey and I used to spend all the school holidays with him traipsing around every corner of the city looking for places on aerial photographs for him to set up,was boring as hell as a chisler but at least I'll never get lost in the city or it's suburbs these days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dfx- wrote: »
    Nobody could know the wealth of estates in the suburbs, I'd know the bus routes to get across the city laterally and work from there. anti-clockwise from Portmarnock to Blackrock...102, 43, 104, 17A, 76, 75, 18, 17.

The city centre isn't helped by the likes of Richmond St, Camden St, Aungier St, Georges' St and Wexford St all essentially merging into one straight road.

The 43 isn't a lateral bus, it goes from Swords to town

Advertisement