Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

morcambe and wise - not funny

• 21-07-2012 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

why are morcambe and wise regarded as giants of comedy, they've never made me laugh once

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

should have titled the thread - most overated comedians ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

dd972 wrote: »
    why are morcambe and wise regarded as giants of comedy, they've never made me laugh once

Because making dd972 laugh is not widely regarded as a definitive measure of comedy greatness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

comedians are over rated (they get paid to tell jokes,anybody can tell a joke)arent there some days you just dont want to laugh ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Humour is subjective I suppose.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I have never found them funny at all but humour can be regional .I never got it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

comedians are over rated (they get paid to tell jokes,anybody can tell a joke)arent there some days you just dont want to laugh ..
    Not everyone can tell a joke or relay a funny story.
    I'm one of those. People have been known to age dramatically by the time I finish a "funny" story or joke that no one laughs at. Really wish I was funny.

arent there some days you just dont want to laugh ..

hell no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Twas a different era - I'm a huge fan of 70's comedies like Open all Hours, Bless this House, Porridge, Whatever happened to the Likely lads etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Morecombe and Wise are funny but not necessarily in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Twas a different era - I'm a huge fan of 70's comedies like Open all Hours, Bless this House, Porridge, Whatever happened to the Likely lads etc.

Porridge is class, have rarely seen any of the rest, where/what channel would one see them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Morcambe & Wise were fucking class.

Anyone who says otherwise is a dipwad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Twas a different era

This. They were funny at the time, but by nowadays standards it's a struggle to understand why they're funny.

Same way as horrors such as The Exorcist are considered overrated by a lot of people, I saw the exorcist a couple of years ago for the first time, having seen loads of modern horror films, and I was really disappointed, didn't find it scary at all.

What's funny/scary/interesting changes over time, it's not really surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Morcambe & Wise were fucking class.

Anyone who says otherwise is a dipwad.

.....or not old...like you :p

and me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Phew! I realised this was actually about Morecambe and Wise, not Reeves and Mortimer, just as I was about to post in defence of the latter.
    I have to stop mixing them up.

Boring but sensible post to follow:

Humour is subjective: just because you don't find something funny doesn't mean others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Eric was damned funny, but the scripts were eclipsed by The Two Ronnies imo.

Not too surprising when Cleese, Milligan, Palin, John Sullivan & Terry Jones all contributed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

The genius behind M&W was Eddie Braben, who wrote most of their scripts for their golden age in the 1970's on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Phew! I realised this was actually about Morecambe and Wise, not Reeves and Mortimer

I'm sorry but Reeves and Mortimer are completely unfunny. I don't know how they made it as a comedy act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

They were of their time and I have great memories of watching them with my family when a kid (as we only had one TV and there being only four channels, most likely would have watched it anyway).

This sketch sticks out for me as being one of the reasons I thought they were funny:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They're no Abbott and Costello

Nothing dates like comedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Suas11 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Reeves and Mortimer are completely unfunny. I don't know how they made it as a comedy act.

I generally like them, but sometimes I'm just not in form for them and think they're silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

They're no Abbott and Costello

Or Bob Carolgees and Spit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Skid wrote: »
    Because making dd972 laugh is not widely regarded as a definitive measure of comedy greatness.
    dd972 - were you born in 1972 ?

It was a different time back them - stuff like 'Love Thy Neighbour' just couldn't be shown now. Steptoe and Son was so so , but the episode where they split everything 50:50 is a classic.

The Phil Silvers is excellent.

Hancock's Half Hour - totally unfunny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nothing dates like comedy
    The really, really good stuff stands the test of time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

They had 28 million viewers for one TV show. Almost every great British comedian since lists them as an influence on their work. Isn't that enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Not everyone can tell a joke or relay a funny story.
    I'm one of those. People have been known to age dramatically by the time I finish a "funny" story or joke that no one laughs at. Really wish I was funny.

That was funny to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

OP your showing your age i think , as a kid watching them in the 70's the were funny as fu2k , but you are talking nearly 40 year old comedy - doubt you will be as funny in 40 years :D

all about context - shows back then were a mix of light entertainment and innuendo jokes , mixed with song and and slap stick , funny for it time

the fact that you are even talking about them or know of them says enough to answer your question - they are and were funny to most

maybe you just dont get it ? poor you im afraid

along with kenny everett - the pythons - dave allen , i could go on but with out these you would not have today's comics - who in my humble opinion are very formulaic - not many cutting edge comics on the box at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The really, really good stuff stands the test of time

Yep, like the Marx Brothers. I think they were hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

These guys were great. There Christmas shows drew huge audiences. Different era but they are still funny today.

This is one of the classics. You would have to know the conductor to really get this..

Eric Morcombe's comic timing was absolute genius

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If someone has to explain why something is funny you'll never get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

We need context here - what does make you laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

I know i'll be hated for this but i never once laughed at only fool and horses, and anytime i saw Basil Fawlty, my only thoughts were 'dangerous mental illness'

I dont think i got british humour, though some mothers do ave em was and still is very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Archeron wrote: »
    I know i'll be hated for this but i never once laughed at only fool and horses, and anytime i saw Basil Fawlty, my only thoughts were 'dangerous mental illness'

I dont think i got british humour, though some mothers do ave em was and still is very funny.

I can understand 'Fools but Fawlty Towers???? Have you no soul????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

each to their own, i thought they were very funny

We need context here - what does make you laugh?

Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Jack Dee, Harry Hill, to name but a few, find Johnny Vegas funny but that would be an acquired taste as well

People on nostalgia shows wax lyrical about M&W's 1976 xmas show, horses for courses and all that but I'm still amazed that anyone can think they're funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

dirtyden wrote: »
    Porridge is class, have rarely seen any of the rest, where/what channel would one see them?

Comedy Gold on Sky Channel 110

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

py2006 wrote: »
    I can understand 'Fools but Fawlty Towers???? Have you no soul????????

Can't understand Fools and Towers not being funny and Some Mothers being funny....:confused:

It's all subjective I guess.

M&W were a variety act. This is quite old style entertainment in itself- there are many "Classic" moments but in terms of making people laugh today, you could probably condense these moments into a few hours of tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Jack Dee, Harry Hill, to name but a few, find Johnny Vegas funny but that would be an acquired taste as well

People on nostalgia shows wax lyrical about M&W's 1976 xmas show, horses for courses and all that but I'm still amazed that anyone can think they're funny

An interesting mix - i find M&W hilarious, but i'd count Bill Hicks as my all time favourite comedian. Carlin would also be pretty high on my list, i think Hill's pretty funny, but i think Dee and Vegas are only slightly more enjoyable than a dental appointment.

Guess it just goes to show that it really does take all sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Things that horrify or shock or make people laugh change over time. It's really not that hard to grasp!

Hell, at one time people thought the world was flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

py2006 wrote: »
    These guys were great. There Christmas shows drew huge audiences. Different era but they are still funny today.

This is one of the classics. You would have to know the conductor to really get this..

Eric Morcombe's comic timing was absolute genius

Three genius and original sketches.

Still make me laugh.

As for Jack Dee, Jonny Vegas et al?

Bluurrghhhg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Jack Dee, Harry Hill, to name but a few, find Johnny Vegas funny

Whoah. Bill Hicks found Johnny Vegas funny? :-P

:pac:

like that sort of humour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Explains why I found Shooting Stars pretty boring, barring a few odd moments, apparently got their inspiration from Morecambe and Wise.

Now the 2 Ronnies..........

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cicero wrote: »
    Can't understand Fools and Towers not being funny and Some Mothers being funny....:confused:

It's all subjective I guess. ....

Some Mothers was much more slapstick. The UK/Irish dry wit, in fools and towers doesn't travel that well. Many other countries much prefer slapstick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Ditto Only Fools and Horses - never laughed at this; no idea why people did

BostonB wrote: »
    Some Mothers was much more slapstick. The UK/Irish dry wit, in fools and towers doesn't travel that well. Many other countries much prefer slapstick.

Fawltey Towers is very well scripted, there is actually a plot running through each episode. Some Mothers just seemed based on his character but hilarious nonetheless. I like Only Fools an Horses but not a patch on Fawltey Towers, pure comedy perfection.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Liked Blackadder goes Fourth as well, especially when Rowan Atkinson was being sarcastic

Anyone mentioned four candles?

Yep, Fork handles was definitely mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

K-9 wrote: »
    Yep, Fork handles was definitely mentioned.

:o thinking of the two ronnies, in my defence its late.

:o thinking of the two ronnies, in my defence its late.

Perfectly understandable.

After all the parrot was definitely alive, not dead, probably stunned or pining.

• Advertisement
Advertisement