Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8mm video tape stuck together

Options
  • 21-07-2012 9:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭

I have been given an old 8mm camcorder tape to transfer to DVD.
    The problem I'm having is that "something" got spilled on it. I can only theorise that that something might be beer or some form of soft drink.
    To top it all off, the tape has mildew on it.
    Now normally I try to run those tapes and if they break (which they normally do), I tell the customer that it's fooked. (Of course I tell the customer beforehand that this might not play, break and can't be rescued. I'm mad for even putting filth like that in my camcorder for playing)
    Does anyone know what can be done? Is there any treatment or solvent that will unstick the tape without destroying it?
    I currently have the tape taken apart and have tried peeling it apart manually, but even if I get a tape end off the reel, as soon as I pull it, it just tears again, it's worse than Sellotape.
    Of course I can just stick with my "It's fooked" line, but I wanted to give this one a try.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 r3dr00m

First of all I wouldn't bother if there are molds on the tape. You can cross contaminate to your equipment and you will be "fooked":)

Second of all, the film itself might be stored in not suitable conditions and from what you are saying, I think it start decomposing. Mold means moisture was present to speed it up or trigger the process in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

You can soak it in water (film is developed in fluids so it's fine). Any splices with most likely come apart so you’ll have to re splice them, if their full reels, unedited then that won't be an issue. Then using a lens cloth slowly clean the entire length of film. Let it dry before rolling it onto the spool again. Enjoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If it was 8mm film, I'd well give it a try...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

Sorry got it into my head that it ewas 8mm film.
    N

Advertisement