Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Portlaoise Queries

Options
  • 21-07-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Anyone know
    (a) Where exactly Goodwin Meats was on Main Street?
    (b) And Rags to Riches boutique, Lower Square?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

I am not sure of the name it was, but I think the premises that is now McCormacks Cafe, which is across from McLoughlins Hotel, was once a butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Portlaoise Pictures

Yes, I think Goodwins was there, but can't verify this. I've no idea where that boutique was.
    Thanks for your reply,

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I was looking at a picture of goodwins in John obriens book and i would agree it is the cafe.
    I compare the location of the windows and it looked like a good match but of course that I'd not enough to verify it. Then I notice the reflection of an arch in the window and sure enough that matches perfectly with the arch of the former post office across the street. Now the office centre.

Ps portlaoise pictures I love the site and often comment on your pictures on facebook. Thanks for putting them up. Where did you get these pictures and where can I see more of them?
    I am more interested In photos of buildings rather than people. Would the council library or the public one have these?

Thanks very much. Yes, I'd agree that Godwins was as you say. All I need now is to find out when exactly it was there!
    Except where noted, nearly all the pictures on the site are my own. Johnny O'Brien let me use some of the very old black and white ones. He has a good selection of old stuff but there may be more in the library (@ County Hall).
    I've just started a very long term project to document the occupants of all the houses and business on Main Street throughout the 20th century. God know when I'll get that finished, but I love doing it.
    Thanks again,
    John

www.portlaoisepictures.com

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Asked my mother about goodwins she can remember it as a little girl (she grew up on the main street) and also reckons it was where mcCormacks is now.

Both of us think that boutique was beside where Jimmy bergin is there is a clothes shop there still, cant think of the name of it

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the help.
    John

Advertisement