Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever been screwed?

• 21-07-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭

In the south of France in 2010, first day, stopped at a beachside bar, gin & tonic, bacardi & coke, small bottle of white lemonade & small bottle of still water, €38!!!! Did they see me coming?:D

Please share with us all with your getting screwed stories

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I've never been screwed before, but have got nailed a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

€12 for a glass of coke (not the white powder type) near the Eiffel Tower a few years ago. My ass is still a little raw from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Every time I buy popcorn at the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm normally the screwer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Did it take you two years to get over the shock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Anglo Irish
    AIB
    Irish Nationwide
    Irish Permanent
    Bertie Ahern
    The Universal Social Charge
    etc etc etc...I'm Irish I'm used to being screwed!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

The Grasshopper in Amsterdam, they catch a lot of folk coming out of Central Station for the first time I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lolz81

The barmen at Dublin Airport have savaged me a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Milanese. Horrible city, horrible people, extorted right left and centre, also racially abused by greasers on multiple occasions. Not fans of the 'mick' over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Kerry airport landing fee for private aircraft. €30 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In the south of France in 2010, first day, stopped at a beachside bar, gin & tonic, bacardi & coke, small bottle of white lemonade & small bottle of still water, €38!!!! Did they see me coming?:D

Please share with us all with your getting screwed stories

Sounds like any Irish bar on a saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Anything in the wild west Gaelteacht about 20 years ago. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Last week I wasn't around and my wife needed to get a car bulb fitted, she went to halfords. It cost €8.99 to fit a bulb. I felt sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

My dad died a few years ago from a heart attack. The solictors fee was twelve thousand euro for dealing probate. My family and I joke that he would have died again if he had seen that charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Have I ever been screwed?? Oooooooooooooh yeeeeeeah (said in a very low Barry White Baratone) ;);););) hubba hubba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I've never been screwed before, but have got nailed a few times.

I know the feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In Playa del Inglés... first ever holiday without the family and on the first night we went to a strip bar for a bit of a gander. The girls persuaded us to buy them a drink and they perhaps predictably ordered two bottles of the most expensive champagne in the place. I wasn't going to pay and went to walk out but was stopped by a huge bouncer holding a crash helmet. In the end we came to an amicable agreement and somehow managed to have the bouncer drive us and the girls back to our hotel and sit outside for 45 minutes while we entertained. All in all not a bad night. I got screwed twice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Paid €16 in Venice for a cappucino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Did it take you two years to get over the shock?

Heading there again shortly but this time.... I'm fcuking ready baby!!!!:D

In Playa del Inglés... first ever holiday without the family and on the first night we went to a strip bar for a bit of a gander. The girls persuaded us to buy them a drink and they perhaps predictably ordered two bottles of the most expensive champagne in the place. I wasn't going to pay and went to walk out but was stopped by a huge bouncer holding a crash helmet. In the end we came to an amicable agreement and somehow managed to have the bouncer drive us and the girls back to our hotel and sit outside for 45 minutes while we entertained. All in all not a bad night. I got screwed twice.

?

• Advertisement

Lollers wrote: »
    My dad died a few years ago from a heart attack. The solictors fee was twelve thousand euro for dealing probate. My family and I joke that he would have died again if he had seen that charge.

A friend of the family had a look through the itemised bill for a funeral from the undertakers', ****ing rip-off merchants. Got a few quid back but one wonders how many people either wouldn't care enough to check or then care enough to try to get money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I once knew a can of tuna that got screwed.

Anytime I shop in a "convienience store", I leave feeling screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

?

He means he got an std

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Night out in Paris city centre was fairly expensive.

So expensive that I insisted on getting an illegal taxi back to the hotel with a guy who did even know how to get to the Eiffel Tower. At one point I thought we were being set up for an ambush. Got there after about an hour of me figuring it out.

smcgiff wrote: »
    He means he got an std

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Junoesque

Almost every shop I go in. I can't help it I compare prices I wish I didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Yes. Screwed by John F Kennedy when he withheld air support during the Cuban Bay of Pigs invasion. We lost a lot of good men that day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lollers wrote: »

That sounds very excessive for probate alone.

I hope you reported the fúcker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Paid customs some excess charge on 600 cigarettes I was bringing to Norway for myself as they were a crazy price there at the time-what should've worked out cheaper ended up costing about £200for 600 back in 2000.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Lapin wrote: »
    That sounds very excessive for probate alone.

I hope you reported the fúcker.

He was a D4 solicter, who has since disappeared. No surprise really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

?
    From experience, a crash helmet is weapon of choice for a lot of chaps, 1.It hurts when you hit someone with it. 2.It is an innocent item.
    I preferred fire extinguishers meself, there's always loads hung about in Nighclubs etc and they make a nice "clonk" sound when you catch someone correctly with them.:)

Pottler wrote: »
    From experience, a crash helmet is weapon of choice for a lot of chaps, 1.It hurts when you hit someone with it. 2.It is an innocent item.
    I preferred fire extinguishers meself, there's always loads hung about in Nighclubs etc and they make a nice "clonk" sound when you catch someone correctly with them.:)

Thanks. You learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The whole country has been screwed

Thanks. You learn something new every day.
    No bother. Fire extinguishers are also better as you generally do not arrive with them, ie, no intent etc. They also handily make them in lots of different sizes, which is good, as you can select appropriatly according to the degree of "night night" required.:) Bit off topic, but every little helps.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

No-one posted the "yeah i paid €450k for a flat in Dublin" yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Senna wrote: »

Ohes Noes, If Alison O Riordan hears about this thread.

The Internet will collapse upon itself.

Senna wrote: »
    That's not really "screwed" though, is it? That's more like "shafted using an ESB pole as a dildo".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I have some shocking images in my mind right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

How about Advance Pitstop charging €70 to supply and fit two wipers?

No I didn't pay it, my sister had her car in for a service (with a voucher) and I warned her to tell them nothing extra was to be done to the car without her prior consent. They duly rang her and said the front suspension was leaking oil on one side and that they reccommended replacing both in front - €280 parts - didn't hear what the labour for this would have been but couldn't see it being less than an hour each side, the car is 5 years old and did an NCT 10 months ago. She said no and if that wasn't bad enough he said the wipers should be replaced for €70.

Does a cars suspension even use oil - I thought they were pneumatic and mechanical (i.e. a spring?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Pottler wrote: »
    No bother. Fire extinguishers are also better as you generally do not arrive with them, ie, no intent etc. They also handily make them in lots of different sizes, which is good, as you can select appropriatly according to the degree of "night night" required.:) Bit off topic, but every little helps.:D
    Right.
    So how many times exactly have you beat someone unconscious with a fire extinguisher. Your posts seem to suggest many, many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

13 quid for a pint in Milan! Obviously hit with bill after. nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When I moved to Belfast I used the black cabs

They must have heard my bogger accent as they'd take me for trips all over the city

After a few weeks I know the area well and they'd still try it on with me, even an entire lap of Ormeau Park

And for late night fares demanding a tenner off me for a trip that should only cost about 4 pounds

I later found out none of the locals use them

Now I know how tourists feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

€200 EUR for a single lap of the Portimão circuit in a Porsche 911 GT3. Lasted 2 minutes...

Pure rip-off but just had to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Oh and in Amsterdam some arab taxi driver tried ripping me off by charging me €70 EUR for a 5-minute journey! When he saw I was having none of it and that I was taking down his taxi licence details he panicked and drove away! Fooker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Train from Rome airport to Termini, the largest train station, €14
    Local train only two stops away, €2.60

By the end of my trip I was buying the cheap ticket and just staying for the extra two stops.

Italians are leaders when it comes to price gouging. Trains were filthy and air conditioning bust too. I stopped giving out about Irish Rail for a while afterwards

Paid €4 for a small bottle of water in the city centre

That was cheap, you can pay a lot more then that from the street sellers

You'd be needing the services of the Pope after your heart attack if you saw the prices the cafes charge outside the Vatican

Loved Rome but felt everyone was trying to rip me off, place is full of tourist traps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Always get Screwed by the theme parks and cinemas. They overprice food so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Some chancer in the ifsc farmers market charged me a tenner for a bag a fancy nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

beertons wrote: »
    Paid €16 in Venice for a cappucino

That is insane, how can they justify such a cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Right.
    So how many times exactly have you beat someone unconscious with a fire extinguisher. Your posts seem to suggest many, many times.
    Bouncer in London west end for a fair while. Carrying a weapon was a no no but everyone loves fire safety equipment. Especially when theres about ten of them fighting and they're all big.:) Still have a large hole in my thigh where a love struck charmer decided to shoot the wrong person and another misguided individual cut my thumb off one night, while attempting to eviscerate me. Lovely. Discovered thumbs are over-rated anyway.
    Another rip off is €5 for a Coffee in Paris. Which is about the going rate everywhere there, or was last week anyway, that and €26 for a five minute cab ride. Gotta love the Parisians.

• Advertisement
Advertisement