Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Students - Arts

• 21-07-2012 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I think it's time we had our own thread, eh? Here's one for all of the prospective arts students! There are so many different subjects that can be studied with an arts degree, from social sciences to music, from German to Latin, really we have a hell of a lot of choice, so what are you choosing? :)

I myself am a fan of the ol' social sciences. I'm hoping to graduate with a degree in psychology, I'd like to do music in my first year as well though. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

You're right; there's so much choice - which makes it so much more difficult to choose, haha. All I'm sure of is English and French, but I've a good bit of time yet to decide. Whatever I choose, I know it'll be grand. :D Yes, clearly I am extremely excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I'll be doing my favourite subject of all time, Geography! :D Along with Business & Economics in 1st Year (and I'll choose my favourite out of those 2 to continue with geography in 2nd year... though it'll probably be business because it has better teaching prospects!)
    I can't wait either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Where do you guys want to do your course anyway? :) I might be going to NUIM myself. If I get in I'd be picking psychology, music and geography. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

UCD. :D It's not "arts" for 355, its a more narrowed down version for pureeeeee languages baby, and I don't gotta work for my year abroad. :cool: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

I'm hoping to get into NUIG (and if I don't, I'll just live in my accommodation for a year!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Where do you guys want to do your course anyway? :) I might be going to NUIM myself. If I get in I'd be picking psychology, music and geography. :D

I'm NUIM too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

UCC :P Had Primary Teaching down but didn't really know if it was for me so I decided on arts. Think I'm going to do Geography, Irish, Spanish and the last subject I'm undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

UCC English, History, possibly Geography and Politics in first year. English and History the whole way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

UCC - Maths, History and Psychology are three definite choices. Then I'm not sure whether to choose Economics or English.

Think I will be keeping on Maths in second year and then will choose one from the other three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

UCD, umm English and History, not too sure about anything else yet. (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

NUIG; French, History German and I dunno what else.. probably English or Economics or sth like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I have Arts in UCC 10th (totes going to get it >_>), probably do French, Italian, English and History of Art

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Arts is my 7th & 8th choice!

7th= B.A. NUIM (Law, Business, Economics)
    8th= B.A. UCD (Italian & Economics)

Namlub there's nothing wrong with UCC atall now. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Luno wrote: »
    Namlub there's nothing wrong with UCC atall now. :p

Sure it's my second choice :pac: Just that ending up getting my tenth choice would be a bit of a downer...

Namlub wrote: »
    Sure it's my second choice :pac: Just that ending up getting my tenth choice would be a bit of a downer...

Ah I get you now, I actually picked that up entirely wrong. You'll get you your first choice, I know it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Media Studies in Maynooth. Probably do Geography and English with it. Although I might have trouble picking which one to drop in 2nd year. I kind of have my mind set on Maynooth so I really hope I get it (455 points last year).

frantic190 wrote: »
    Media Studies in Maynooth. Probably do Geography and English with it. Although I might have trouble picking which one to drop in 2nd year. I kind of have my mind set on Maynooth so I really hope I get it (455 points last year).

I think I know you. :L

And if you get your points and I get my points, see you in geog!

We had this discussion yesterday didn't we? :L I think I know you too. I really hope I get Maynooth, I don't really want anything else at this stage.

frantic190 wrote: »

We had this discussion yesterday didn't we? :L I think I know you too. I really hope I get Maynooth, I don't really want anything else at this stage.

Yes, yes we did. :L sure, if not Maynooth, we can always go on the dole. Are you on the hear scheme or anything? It's such a wonderful little life saver.

• Advertisement

Yes, yes we did. :L sure, if not Maynooth, we can always go on the dole. Are you on the hear scheme or anything? It's such a wonderful little life saver.

Nah, I don't qualify for HEAR. I also don't qualify for basically every grant, but sure as I am pretty sure I told you, there are people who would need it a lot more than me so I don't mind. Maynooth looks brilliant though, I loved it there!

Dole buddies 4 lyf. The ~Finglas~ way.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭laoiserick

English and French in Trinity - fingers crossed I get the points! They were 530 last year though. Then I've got pure English second - 495 last year. Really hope I get it :) Good luck everybody! Don't you just hate it when people say "Arts are for farts?" >:( Does my bloody head in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Lots of people use Arts to go on to great things! It's a very stupid attitude to consider wasters do it, most teachers do Arts and I think that's a very challenging job.

Our current president is a graduate from NUIG's arts course.

'nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

arts in UCD maybe :) maths and irish :)

What's the difference between a football pitch and an Arts student?

A football pitch has goals ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Coeur...are you not going for French...? :pac:

Lol yes, I'll be doing Arts in Sept :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I've arts down but I don't know if I want to do it. Might repeat, I'll see..

• Advertisement

I've arts down but I don't know if I want to do it. Might repeat, I'll see..

There's so much you can do with an arts degree, you should really look into it further before jumping to repeat :)

Advertisement