Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kiss on cheeks for a lady or handshake?

• 21-07-2012 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I always go in for the handshake when greeting a lady. It looks so retarded when you see fellows kiss women on the cheek. How do you go about it and do women like having their cheeks kissed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I usually say 'hi' and smile if I know them, and turn into a gibbering wreck if I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I drop my trousers and waggle my penis at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

This will be good

I kiss most people on the cheek, unless it's in a professional situation of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I always go in for the handshake when greeting a lady. It looks so retarded when you see fellows kiss women on the cheek. How do you go about it and do women like having their cheeks kissed?

Kind of get her to stand in a way that obscures everyone else's view then drop the hand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

High 5 and a slap on the ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

When it comes to women, I will always go for an embrace

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would never greet a woman with a kiss on the cheek, unless it was a date or something. But a random woman? No, why would I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I kiss most people on the cheek, unless it's in a professional situation of course.

What do you do in a "Professional situation"? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I only do it to men. If I'm meeting a male friend for drinks or lunch I'd kiss their cheek to greet them and to say goodbye.
    Think its so I can smell them, love a nice manly after shave.
    If I randomly bump into them I wouldn't though.

• Advertisement

What do you do in a "Professional situation"? ;)

Depends on what they're paying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I normally let the woman do all the work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Long as no one tries to slip me the tongue the first time they meet me, it's all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I greet all my female friends and gay friends with a kiss and my straight male friends and everyone else with a handshake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I dont know, she can shake my irrect penis for all I care! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It's a bit uncomfortable when guys that I don't know and have just been introduced to do it, especially if they're unsure of whether they should or not.

I know some who do it all the time and it doesn't bother me, as long as they do it properly and don't end up headbutting me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As a woman I much prefer a handshake from anyone I don't know well, I just find
    It massively uncomfortable. Plus it's really awkward if you both happen to go the same way.

A hand shake is much simpler, and nobody ends up looking like a pretentious knob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I greet everyone with a sports guy bump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A soft-punch on the shoulder and say 'howya keepin'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

ooh god, I met a french girl for the first time a few weeks ago and I'm only 15, so I shook her hand and she went for the whole kissing on the cheek thing (cos they do that in france..) whilst still holding my hand, and I was a bit confused as to what she was doing so it took me a sec to realise to kiss her back :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

I cant stand all this new hugging and kissing stuff. When i was growing up my parents never hugged or kissed their friends and neither did us kids. It seems to have come in with the new generation. I want to slap strange men that go to kiss me on the cheek! My friends that are 6 years younger than me seem to be ok with it so i must be a different era at 41!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

i would but the underwear gets in the way......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

This for family and friends.

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    I cant stand all this new hugging and kissing stuff.

What's worse is the people who put X after every message they send you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Who doesn't love a hug and a ittle kiss? Get with the rest of our European brothers and sisters.

Kisses xxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Who doesn't love a hug and a ittle kiss? Get with the rest of our European brothers and sisters.

Kisses xxxx

Not for people you barley know.

Kisses xxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Or worse

8=========D~~~~~~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Good God above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not for people you barley know.

Kisses xxxxxx

Culture, you either have it or you don't. We don't. Not to say that's a bad thing, we just don't do it. The same with the Anglo Saxons, they don't do it either.

• Advertisement

Or worse

8=========D~~~~~~

I usually send that one

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lolz81

I'm not into strangers kissing me, cheek or otherwise. Bro-fist all the way for people I don't know very well. It took me years to even be ok with hugging my close friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

lolz81 wrote: »
    Bro-fist all the way for people I don't know very well.

I don't think your brother should be fisting you - have you told the Guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lolz81

whiplashed wrote: »
    I don't think your brother should be fisting you - have you told the Guards?

I actually snorted at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

or the kkkkkkkkkk

i just think of shane mcgowan pissed when he laughs kkkskkskkss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    I cant stand all this new hugging and kissing stuff. When i was growing up my parents never hugged or kissed their friends and neither did us kids. It seems to have come in with the new generation. I want to slap strange men that go to kiss me on the cheek! My friends that are 6 years younger than me seem to be ok with it so i must be a different era at 41!

The worst is guys clasping each other's hands at shoulder level. It's grand on a night out among friends but I had to watch the England-Sweden game during the Euros, and the match officials did it too, as if they were college buddies meeting up after their gap year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I was meeting a Spanish friends lady friends, when l went to shake their hands he later told me that they took offence and thought I was stuck up, because I didn't kiss them on the cheeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I just go for a good old fashioned fingering, been a while since I've met any of my female acquaintances :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Two licks for a female human, a kick in the balls for a male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

drop the hand and say hello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

handshake and a shift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

If some guy that I didn't know attempted to kiss me on my cheek, I'd probably punch him in the throat.

Explains why I'm single.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've a "colleague/associate" who is a complete slimeball, kisses/tries to kiss all of his female colleagues on the cheek

Makes me shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Kisses on the cheek as a greeting/farewell have gotten out of hand. Some comedian I recall noted this - first it was one, then two, then three..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If I meet anyone new, either in a professional or a personal context, it's a handshake and a "Hello, lovely to meet you."

Kisses are only just about tolerable even from non-Irish. Personally I find it very pretentious and fake if an Irish person tries to kiss me on first introduction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Kiss on the cheek? No way, I don't wanna catch the menopause!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Went out with a Belgian girl a while back. Stayed with her family at Christmas. Jesus it was irritating. Three kisses when I met someone new, and two when I had met them already. One kiss when I was leaving company. Even just going to the shop...had to kiss everyone on the cheek once. Took f*ckin ages to leave anywhere. They expected me to kiss her stepfather on the cheek too. I drew the line at that and went for the manly handshake. I think he appreciated it too. Was probably tired of kissing every man he ever met on the cheek.

Someone said it's culture and either we have it or don't. Absolute crap. Nothing go to do with having culture. I think you mean custom. When I meet anyone in Ireland from a country where they do the kissing thing and they go for the kiss, I tell them, "You're in Ireland now. We shake hands". I do make exceptions for particularly hot Mediterranean girls, "Yes, you're in Ireland now, sure we always kiss. It's rude not to kiss three times and then one on the lips, it's our 'culture'."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I shake hands with everyone I meet for the first time and I'm amazed by the amount of adults who think that this is something hilarious and that I'm being too formal. I've often met someone new and outstretched my hand to shake theirs and they just look at me like I'm mad in the head and give me a small wave instead :confused:

I've worked in a professional environment for 8 years so anybody I would meet through my job I always shake hands with (even the people who think they're too good to shake my hand :P ) and I think that it's probably something I've carried over into everyday life but I still think it's just basic manners.

When I meet friends I always hug them and a few of my boyfriend's friends would be a little old-fashioned a give a peck on the cheek. Older members of my family and friends would give a kiss on the cheek when they meet women.

Advertisement