Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing a Community: How do developers refer to themselves?

Options
  • 21-07-2012 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in developing a community aimed at software developers and am trying to get the messaging right - I'm interested to know how hobbyist and semi-professional developers refer to themselves in Ireland: developers, hackers, geeks, etc? My own observation is that "developer" is probably the most common, though for events "hackathon" is the most popular (don't see "jam")

any self-referential thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Developer

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

Programmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Neckbeard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Anyone tempted by 'brogrammer'? (OK, I was just blueskying...:))

Thanks for all the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

gotta bro down and crush some code

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

By community, do you mean something like stack overflow?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Developer. Though sometimes I refer to myself as a software engineer, usually to make my housemate (who's doing his PhD in engineering) foam at the mouth.

Good question - like a user group or individual fanboys for a particular type of development - python, java, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Engineer. Computer Engineer when I'm being persnickity (stuff your roommate Odaise, it says "Computer Engineer" on my degree :D )

... but uvox, I'm wondering, if you don't know something this basic, and you're talking about creating a community for people you can't even pigeonhole yet, do you not think that coming into an existing community and asking that question is a little bit cheeky?

• Advertisement

No, not really, but I could be making this a lot more complicated than it needed to be. I was looking for something that a) people relate to b) travels globally, c) might combine some sense of innovation, edginess, and yet tie it to a career path or contracts, without being too corporate, and d) something that could translate into messaging (can't see brogrammer.ie taking off).

I guess looking at search keywords might be a way forward too.

It seems like "developer" is the one people use most, and works best for the enterprise apps space. Hacker and geek probably won't result in a contract, though it seems once the beer is flowing, it's used.

Thanks for all the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Grand-Master: Fountain of all Knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Developer, Analyst/Developer, Software Developer, Web Developer, Software Engineer etc. it's all the same thing.

I've been called worse, but mostly by people who didn't read the document before signing off on it.

great answer(s). a profession/obsession that can look at itself and its ups and downs without losing sanity is a great thing. reminds me a bit of this guy:

https://twitter.com/devops_borat

(hits it in sports, but still some disturbingly accurate insights)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Web developer, usually followed by "I make websites" so that I can feel confident that the nodding and smiling is not just because they still don't know what I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Hacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Strange to see 'computer scientist' not present.

Personally, any/all of the above, depends on context, wouldn't worry about it, etc.

Advertisement