Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snails

• 21-07-2012 11:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

I was gardening earlier, down on my hands and knee's plucking away at grass and weeds, and I saw dozens of snails......big ones, small ones and what looked to be good juicy ones............one's that might sizzle well on the frying pan with some butter and maybe some garlic....:P

So, would you eat them? or Frogs for that matter........would you eat those also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I was only talking about this earlier with mates (who have tried frogs legs). I'd never like to eat escargots...I think it's due to the fact that it being smothered in garlic butter would negate the "snail-ey" taste. I mean the texture alone would put me off. Why I can't go near calamari. Eugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

There's plenty of delicious beef in Ireland without messing around with all that foreign muck :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I've tried snails. They just tasted of garlic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not for me.

You know what's horrible?

When you crunch a snail underfoot in the dark - gives me the heebie-jeebies for some strange reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's not the taste I'd be worried about.. it's the texture. Don't think I stomach it... though I thought the same before I tried balut and it wasn't so bad really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Have eaten snails before. Tasty, but not amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I tried balut and it wasn't so bad really.

I just googled that.
    I really really wish I hadn't. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Are the snails that people cook the same type of garden snails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Not for me.

When you crunch a snail underfoot in the dark - gives me the heebie-jeebies for some strange reason.

+1! Yeah really puts the shivers up me!

Although I don't recommend (but I'd really like for yee to try) to put a bowl of beer out if you have a slug problem. Read on the net that it was a 'fix' to get rid of them....The aftermath made me nearly puke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

keith16 wrote: »
    Have eaten snails before. Tasty, but not amazing.
    Ive never had snails but I did have alligator last year. Tastes like chicken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 lolz81

Go away will ya, we're Irish. We eat chickens, pigs and cows. Lambs at a push but even that's questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've eaten escargot, and I quite like it too. Common garden snails are perfectly edible, but you have to put them in a tupperware box and feed them lettuce for about a week to get anything poisonous out of their systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

lolz81 wrote: »
    Go away will ya, we're Irish. We eat chickens, pigs and cows. Lambs at a push but even that's questionable.

yep anything that goes with potatoes, snails don't go with potatoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Aldi and Lidl sell them in the frozen food section. I love them! But then again I'm French...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

FFS why? ...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sauve wrote: »
    I just googled that.
    I really really wish I hadn't. :eek:

It looks a bit dodgy alright but it tastes strangely familiar. Kind of like eating chicken and egg at the same time, strangely enough =p I just tried it as a bet though.. wouldn't be rushing back for more!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lolz81

yep anything that goes with potatoes, snails don't go with potatoes

Exactly! You know.

EoghanIRL wrote: »

I don't think so. As far as I know (in France anyway) they have snail farms where they breed large varieties. The garden ones ya get here are generally too small for cooking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Only ones with a French accent are cooked normally;

galwayrush wrote: »

Only ones with a French accent are cooked normally;

Not the French-Canadian ones. They're pricks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I don't think so. As far as I know (in France anyway) they have snail farms where they breed large varieties. The garden ones ya get here are generally too small for cooking.

the ones I see and saw in my garden are massive, well good for cooking:P

MidlandsM wrote: »

In that case there is nuclear waste buried in your garden which is spawning these giant shelled molluscs.

I for one welcome our new snail overlords.

galwayrush wrote: »
    FFS why? ...:eek:

well, they seem to be everywhere in this wet summer we're having or just had....lift up a clump of grass in any garden and there they are.......going to waste or for the birds.......so they'd be free,plentiful, organic, free range and different.....that's why.
    In that case there is nuclear waste buried in your garden which is spawning these giant shelled molluscs.

I for one welcome our new snail overlords.

lol ........me too, tasty overlords.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Snails are really just another type of shellfish that happens to live on land instead of the sea - I enjoy them every time I visit France, very tasty too with garlic sauce:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

It's not the taste I'd be worried about.. it's the texture. Don't think I stomach it... though I thought the same before I tried balut and it wasn't so bad really.

+1 with balut. Tried it when I went to the Philippines with my mates last summer and it wasn't so bad, the yellow bit is tasty. :D I didn't eat the poor baby bird though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I've never had escargots 'cause I don't really like garlic! If they came in chilli sauce or pepper sauce I might give 'em a go. Texture would bother me a bit though; there are lots of foods I like the taste of but can't eat because of the texture (peppers, hazelnuts, oranges, mushrooms....there's probably a few more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I was gardening earlier, down on my hands and knee's plucking away at grass and weeds, and I saw dozens of snails......big ones, small ones and what looked to be good juicy ones....

I find this sentence mildly erotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Not for me.

Just as bad is squashing a slug. They pop.
    well, they seem to be everywhere in this wet summer we're having or just had....lift up a clump of grass in any garden and there they are.......going to waste or for the birds.......so they'd be free,plentiful, organic, free range and different.....that's why.

How would you slaughter them before cooking? Surely you wouldn't cook them live. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

On the other hand, you 'cracked one off to the cadbury bunny ad' so em... surprised?
    No.

• Advertisement

You mean slugs though yeah? Not snails like.
    Big grey/black plump f#ckers. Eating my veggies. You're welcome to 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Yes. As a kid, I made a ton of money collecting them for retail and home use, in France. Price went up\down depending on how wet or dry the season (Summer) was..

Old biddy beside us would throw the helpless feckers into the cooking pot alive.. (how do you kill a snail exactly, yet keep it in one piece..)

One or two of the hardy ones would climb up and get their little eyes trapped\mushed by the lid. She cooked them with a fresh tomato sauce and some herbs.

Frogs legs taste like pencil erasers, there's a reason so much butter\garlic\parsley is used..

I'm a changed person now, we have a pet snail that's fond of crackers.. and the box they come packaged in, you can hear him\her eating from the other room. ('radula' scraping off his food)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I was gardening earlier, down on my hands and knee's plucking away at grass and weeds, and I saw dozens of snails......big ones, small ones and what looked to be good juicy ones............one's that might sizzle well on the frying pan with some butter and maybe some garlic....:P

So, would you eat them? or Frogs for that matter........would you eat those also?
    I've a fruit and veg patch I'm having an awful time keeping slugs from. I can send you all of them if you don't fancy having to de-shell anything. Big fat juicey ones too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Abi wrote: »
    I've a fruit and veg patch I'm having an awful time keeping slugs from.

Another kinky sentence.

I've a fruit and veg patch I'm having an awful time keeping slugs from. I can send you all of them if you don't fancy having to de-shell anything. Big fat juicey ones too :p
    Same here. Turns out that '...ferric phosphate slug pellets are completely specific to molluscs, entirely safe for pets and wildlife, and will degrade into a soil enhancing plant food.'
    Slug pellets FTW.

Nooooooooo.....
    But frogs will eat snails and slugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Not for me.

That's because you've either murdered it or made it homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Pour salt around the patch. Snails dissolve if salt gets onto them.

Another kinky sentence.
    Your sex drive may be running a tad high at idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Never ate one but I do sometimes use a slug for a comedy moustache.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Pour salt around the patch. Snails dissolve if salt gets onto them.
    You'd want an awful lot of salt to protect a veggie patch and rain would dissolve and water in the salt, not great for any plants growing in the soil. Also, any slug that comes into contact with salt swells into a slimy mess, it's pretty disgusting. Some people go round the veggie patch with buckets with a bit of salt in alright, and just pick off the slugs and drop them in the bucket.
    Slug pellets work best, or else a beer trap, just a small dish with a good splash of beer in it, slugs and snails crawl in coz they can't resist beer and die happy. Needs a little cover to stop rain watering down the beer but that's all.
    Ya get 12 bottles of french beer at Aldi for 4.99 :D Lasts ya ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Johro wrote: »
    You'd want an awful lot of salt to protect a veggie patch and rain would dissolve and water in the salt, not great for any plants growing in the soil. Also, any slug that comes into contact with salt swells into a slimy mess, it's pretty disgusting. Some people go round the veggie patch with buckets with a bit of salt in alright, and just pick off the slugs and drop them in the bucket.
    Slug pellets work best, or else a beer trap, just a small dish with a good splash of beer in it, slugs and snails crawl in coz they can't resist beer and die happy. Needs a little cover to stop rain watering down the beer but that's all.
    Ya get 12 bottles of french beer at Aldi for 4.99 :D Lasts ya ages.

>>

<<

What did the slug say to the snail? ...

... Big Issues? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

You're not confusing snails with slugs now are ya?

Slugs would be juicy. Snails would be more crunchy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Cycling through France me and my mate regularly came across entire families out with buckets rooting through the hedgerows. Took us a while till we finally copped they were all out collecting snails. Grooossss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

It's called a shellakabuukie actually.

I like to pick them off paths and place in the grass so they won't get smushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

It's called a shellakabuukie actually.

I like to pick them off paths and place in the grass so they won't get smushed.

Calling StarBelgrade...Calling StarBelgrade...

Come in StarBelgrade... Do you copy....over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

No that's sick and not to mention they are full of germs. I always feel terrible guilty when I stand on one and squish its shell:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭lau1247

cook thoroughly before eating..

you probably won't eat any more snails after reading this and this

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Snails are ok, frogs legs are pretty crappy. Horse is really nice :)

Hugh Fernley Whittingdale tried to cook then, didn't go too well. Too slimey

Get a plastic milk carton, cut top off, fill with cheap beer and bury to rim level. Put a tile or something over it so it doesn't get wet and provides a nice hiding place. They love it and die happy.

That shiver is you absorbing the quickening from the snail a-la Highlander.

i feel dur-ty and violated now..........ughhhhhhh :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement