Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief - what happens if I move?

Options
  • 22-07-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I currently rent a room in a house but I am hoping to rent my own place soon enough. While I know rent relief was abolished in the December 2010 budget, if you were renting before that date, you still qualify for rent relief. I started renting before that date however I am hoping to move in the near future and I was wondering if I would still be entitled to claim rent relief when I move into my new place, or when I move am I considered a new renter and so would be no longer entitled to claim rent relief?

I am currently renting a room with an owner occupier landlord. Unfortunately they have refused to provide me with receipts as "they're too messy" and they "don't want the revenue to have anything on them":rolleyes:. This means I may have difficultly in proving that I was renting before the 7th Dec 2010. Anyone able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As I understand it, you can retain the relief, but I would talk to Revenue to make sure you can keep it.

Use your current address to get some Revenue forms sent to you. ;)

Of course, the landlord is entitled to avail of the Rent-a-Room Scheme, but must declare the income.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Hi i am in a situation kinda similiar, I have been renting since 2008, 4 different places however and they were only for ~ 8 months each at a time as I was a student. I never claimed rent relief. I am looking to move into a new place in the next few weeks and as I am now working and paying PAYE I'm wondering would I be entitled to claim rent relief?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

According to the rules, you must have been renting on a specific date - 7 December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

I was renting then - so if i have proof of that i will be able to claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not certain, but it is possible that you need to have been renting continuously since then.

You should of course make tax returns and get any money due to you back. There is a 4 year limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Victor wrote: »
    As I understand it, you can retain the relief, but I would talk to Revenue to make sure you can keep it.

Use your current address to get some Revenue forms sent to you. ;)

Of course, the landlord is entitled to avail of the Rent-a-Room Scheme, but must declare the income.

Thanks for the reply, I will get on to the revenue to see what they say. I'd be a bit wary about changing my address with the revenue, I wouldn't trust my current housemate to forward on letters to me after I'd left if I didn't get it changed back on time. I did tell my landlord about the rent a room scheme and how they weren't liable to pay tax, that's when they gave me the " we don't want the revenue to have anything on us" remark. I'll see what the revenue have to say anyways, thanks again!

Advertisement