Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a unique business idea for me?

Options
  • 22-07-2012 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey! Im 17 and entering my last year of secondary school. My mind is always trying to come up with ideas but I just can't come up with something. It's pretty frustrating and when I think of something that might be worth doing, I spend hours researching it only to find out it probably ain't profitable :( :P

Anyone out there with an idea they are not going to attempt because they are busy? If you think you have a really good idea and you don't want the idea to be shown to public, pm me. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Yes.... Supply Integrated Label sheets in Ireland. No one is doing it so we're having to source them from the UK. I buy in boxes of 1000 so the shipping is where you can compete. There is a good little business there if someone wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Strings.ie wrote: »
    Yes.... Supply Integrated Label sheets in Ireland. No one is doing it so we're having to source them from the UK. I buy in boxes of 1000 so the shipping is where you can compete. There is a good little business there if someone wants it.

How much is shipping costing you? 50-60-70 euro a pallet? How many are on each pallet? 500 boxes? 1000 boxes?

Tbh you're the one who should be supplying them, if you really believe there's a market, you've already got the use so you can buy bulk with low risk.

There's no margin to buy them in and compete with UK suppliers. We buy laser labels from UK for our own use and no one in Ireland can compete on price for <100 boxes, including shipping, nevermind 1000 boxes. Even with sterling as dear as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

The Dagda wrote: »
    How much is shipping costing you? 50-60-70 euro a pallet? How many are on each pallet? 500 boxes? 1000 boxes?

Tbh you're the one who should be supplying them, if you really believe there's a market, you've already got the use so you can buy bulk with low risk.

I'm just a small retailer, I wouldn't require a pallet. Point is if I were in the UK I could get free shipping on a box of 1000 A4 sheets. But shipping to Ireland is at least €20. I don't have the space or interest in this business, I'm busy enough but all ecommerce, ebay, amazon sellers in Ireland would be wanting to use this product but there is no Irish supplier. Sure, someone is going to have to source the product, invest in stock, setup a website, etc. Just saying I think think there is demand and a gap in the market.

"There's no margin to buy them in and compete with UK suppliers. We buy laser labels from UK for our own use and no one in Ireland can compete on price for <100 boxes, including shipping, nevermind 1000 boxes. Even with sterling as dear as it is now."

I never said a 1000 boxes :confused: A box of 1000 sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I'm just a small retailer, I wouldn't require a pallet. Point is if I were in the UK I could get free shipping on a box of 1000 A4 sheets. But shipping to Ireland is at least €20. I don't have the space or interest in this business, I'm busy enough but all ecommerce, ebay, amazon sellers in Ireland would be wanting to use this product but there is no Irish supplier. Sure, someone is going to have to source the product, invest in stock, setup a website, etc. Just saying I think think there is demand and a gap in the market.

"There's no margin to buy them in and compete with UK suppliers. We buy laser labels from UK for our own use and no one in Ireland can compete on price for <100 boxes, including shipping, nevermind 1000 boxes. Even with sterling as dear as it is now."

Sorry i read it wrong. How long does 1 box last you?

Sorry again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If they ship free ti NI then you can now use parcelmotel.com - operated by nightline, you canuse their NI address + local parcelmotel in south and cost will be 3.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Your in school so use that to your advantage. Sit down and think what do all your friends want? Carry out research with people in your school and ask them different questions eg: what do they feel is needed in school or outside school? Carry out the same research with your teachers see what they say.

Have you got a school shop in your school? Maybe this is something to look at? Just relax sit down and think what people really want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

Hey! Im 17 and entering my last year of secondary school. My mind is always trying to come up with ideas but I just can't come up with something. It's pretty frustrating and when I think of something that might be worth doing, I spend hours researching it only to find out it probably ain't profitable :( :P

Anyone out there with an idea they are not going to attempt because they are busy? If you think you have a really good idea and you don't want the idea to be shown to public, pm me. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Daniel

well, as you've put so much time, effort and money into it, maybe somebody should just hand you your fortune on a plate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Fair play Dan, it's great to see someone so young already thinking about setting up a business. I'd say till you learn all the different elements of running a business you should start a business that already exists, if you did get a great original idea now I'd guess that you would either mess it up due to lack of experience or get ripped off by someone else with more funds to make it big. Also you don't necessarily need to do something new to make money, lots of existing areas have room for competition. You will probably have a higher chance of success by doing something you know a lot about and have an interest in so you wont get bored.

I've sent you a pm with an idea that will make you a guaranteed couple of grand or possibly more - but you need a few bob to get it up and running first

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

sandin wrote: »
    I've sent you a pm with an idea that will make you a guaranteed couple of grand or possibly more - but you need a few bob to get it up and running first

Could you send me on details aswell...Im on the same boat! cheers

• Advertisement

trepasers wrote: »
    Could you send me on details aswell...Im on the same boat! cheers
    sorry someone else sent a pm before you and looks like he may run with it - if he says he's not, I'll pass it on as its a sort of once off one time thing. - but its funny and would get a lot of publicity at christmas and perfect stocking filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

sandin wrote: »
    sorry someone else sent a pm before you and looks like he may run with it - if he says he's not, I'll pass it on as its a sort of once off one time thing. - but its funny and would get a lot of publicity at christmas and perfect stocking filler.

Perfect cheers for your help !!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dandaman2764

thanks everyone for your help! its really appreciated. Sandin thanks for that idea but i don't think i'll run with it but its just what i was looking for. you can send it onto trepasers if you want. Also strings.ie thanks, i havnt a clue what intergrated labels are but im trying to look into them more :)

Advertisement