Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expats in Dubai!!

Options
  • 22-07-2012 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey all! :) I'm moving to Dubai with a friend of mine in August, both of us will be teaching over there! I've looked everywhere for a thread about people on here living in Dubai and talking about it but couldn't find any!! Anyone here living in Dubai at the moment ( I know you're out there!! =] )

Just wanted to create a thread where others living in Dubai can chat and talk about different things relating to there, such as upcoming events, Irish groups meeting there, stuff like that!! :) I'm very excited about going over, not long to go now! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nina85

Hi Sparkly! I've just got a teaching job in Dubai too! Flying out in 2 weeks! Do you mind me asking where your jobs are? Very nervous about the move have read all the horror stories but figure that the good uns will far outweigh the bad!! I've heard that GAA is where its at as regards social life! I have two left feet so useless at any sport but am thinking of joining the Dubai Celts Social membership which is just 100 aed for the year. They organise nights out and other things like bootcamps etc. Think this might be a good place to start!

Also a friend of mine recommended these websites

Time Out magazine - http://www.timeoutdubai.com/

For lots of stuff - www.dubizzle.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

Hello folks, I'm also moving to Dubai. I fly on 31 August.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

I 'm thinking of joining the GAA group too if possible. . not bad at football, used to play when younger and did get loads of medals and stuff. . but that was a long time ago!! :) I think it would be some craic any ways! :) It's very far down though, I'm up near Al Nahda, close the al Mamzar beach park and the Sharjah border while the pitch is way down the eastern side in some remote place. . hoping someone will be living close by and can get a drive or something!! :) I'm nervous too but I've friends over from last year that love it! :) So heres hoping it'l be good...off in a week now...it's finally hitting me!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JourneyHunter

Hi Guys. I have taught in South Korea before. I am about to start the H.Dip in Ireland. I wanted to know about wages. Is Dubai the best place to earn a good wage? What would a teacher earn in Dubai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 BigBraveBear

I've been in Dubai for the past three years. Have to say I like it here, its a bit strange at first but you'll get used to it. Just a few rules you need to follow and you'll have no hassle, absolutely no kissing in public, no acting the muppet when out drinking, and no drink driving! If you can manage that you'll be fine. Oh, and the local is always right!
    Plenty of western expats here, mostly English and South African, and also a good few Irish. The lifestyle is pretty good for expats, seems to revolve around eating, drinking, and chilling at the pool. All day Friday ''all you can eat and drink brunches'' are a weekly event for most, which are great craic.
    Its absolutely stinking humid and hot here at the moment, close to 50 degrees most days!! But you'll hardly ever be out in it for any length of time, and eferything is air-conditioned, so no worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

Hi Guys. I have taught in South Korea before. I am about to start the H.Dip in Ireland. I wanted to know about wages. Is Dubai the best place to earn a good wage? What would a teacher earn in Dubai?

It's the only place good for NQT's at the moment, I have one full year of experience and I am heading out due to lack of work. The money gets better depending on experience. I am getting 9000 AED a month, which I'm happy enough with. The basic pay is 8000 AED in most schools. The more years experience you have, the more money, better terms, and it also increases the chance of getting into better and higher wage bracket schools. I know teachers who moved out with 3 years experience and are getting around 3000 euros a month plus paid accom, flights, costs etc. That is great money.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Patches22

Hi all,

I'm also an NQT and due to the lack of teaching opportunities here I'm thinking about looking further afield...would love to hear of any info/experiences/advice on what its like - lifestyle and teaching. I'd also really appreciate any recommendations of channels to go through when looking for teaching over there. I know there are a bunch of different agencies/companies etc and you hear horror stories...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alanobrien69

Hi everyone

I am currently considering a move to Dubai with my GF, we are looking at teaching opportunities at the moment; (sabis seem to be the best option) but we are anxious now and would love to know if there is any way that we can edge into pole position for roles in Dubai.

We both have business degrees and are currently doing TEFL courses but with no teaching experience will we find it difficult to get work?

It looks like a great place to live and with all the hardship at home we could do with a positive turn in our careers... any advice is more than welcome thanks

Advertisement