Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briefly describe Evangelion in way that doesn't make it sound ****

Options
  • 22-07-2012 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

My friend raved about Evangelion to me about a year before I actually checked it out. When I did check it out it was because an ex revealed she thought it was great too. That ex talked about anime to people quite a bit, but didn't like to mention Evangelion too early as she was embarrassed by her enthusiasm for it.

Because it really does sound **** if you describe it in casual conversation doesn't it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Giant robot Gods battle mysterious, majestic beings in an effort to save the human race from extinction in a semi-dystopian future. A beautifully labyrinthine plot full of intrigue and chock a block with social, religious and psychological commentary. An inventive visual identity full of symbolism & surrealism. All grounded by the personal story of a depressed teenager struggling to come to grips with overwhelming, confusing situations. All to a bitchin' soundtrack.

I don't think that sounds **** at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Its good, but at times it was far too confusing for me. I still have a few of them left to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I thought it was awesome. I just found myself at a loss when trying to put across its awesomeness to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

It is psychological with black humour that's how I would describe it. I would tell my friend to just check it out and come back to me on what he/she thinks. I guess Evangelion is a love/hate anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rendeva

Simply don't mention any of the huge downsides and focus on the huge upsides.

Downside, the three main characters consist of a pathetic, whiny boy with no pro activity or desire to further the plot, a girl with no personality and a psychotic super bitch. Upside, awesomely designed giant robots fight really cool monsters in most episodes.

Downside, budgeting problems resulted in huge amounts of footage being recycled in the final episodes, an important character being introduced and killed off in the same episode, and the final episodes being set in the main characters mind instead of explaining what was actually going on, with most of the animation being squiggly lines. Upside, the shows budget was blown on some of the greatest animation of its time in the first 2/3's of the show.

Downside, the show is incredibly preachy with its bull**** philosophies that even the creator doesn't understand. Upside, said philosophical musing only takes up about 10% of the show and all of the last two episodes.

Downside, the show has a cute penguin mascot. Upside, the show has a cute penguin mascot.

Downside, many of the fans are idiotic enough to send death threats to the creator for his experimental ending. Upside, the creator hates the shows fans.

In short, tell them to watch the Rebuild movies, which fix pretty much every downside the original series had. They have giant robots and explosions is a good way to recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Rendeva wrote: »
    Simply don't mention any of the huge downsides and focus on the huge upsides.

Downside, the three main characters consist of a pathetic, whiny boy with no pro activity or desire to further the plot, a girl with no personality and a psychotic super bitch. Upside, awesomely designed giant robots fight really cool monsters in most episodes.

Downside, budgeting problems resulted in huge amounts of footage being recycled in the final episodes, an important character being introduced and killed off in the same episode, and the final episodes being set in the main characters mind instead of explaining what was actually going on, with most of the animation being squiggly lines. Upside, the shows budget was blown on some of the greatest animation of its time in the first 2/3's of the show.

Downside, the show is incredibly preachy with its bull**** philosophies that even the creator doesn't understand. Upside, said philosophical musing only takes up about 10% of the show and all of the last two episodes.

Downside, the show has a cute penguin mascot. Upside, the show has a cute penguin mascot.

Downside, many of the fans are idiotic enough to send death threats to the creator for his experimental ending. Upside, the creator hates the shows fans.

In short, tell them to watch the Rebuild movies, which fix pretty much every downside the original series had. They have giant robots and explosions is a good way to recommend them.

Totally agree with ye there!

Also watch Death&Rebirth for the very well put together invasion scene, a fine recap of the entire series and a pretty good story, do not watch Death&Rebirth for the exceptional WTF moment between Shinji and an unconcious Asuka :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

It answers the question:

What would really happen if you put a normal ordinary teenager inside a robot built by his mad scientist father? Then added a hotblooded sexy love interest, a quiet waif and a bottle fairy.... and what would these people *really* be like to fit the archetypes.

Rebuild is better. It's more condensed. And the last part of the first film is one of the most awesome pieces of animated giant robot action in history, because it really brings home the scale of what's at stake and what's really happening.

And has ****-arse cool explosions. With a giant D8 of doom going through mind bending warpings before spitting out mountain-melting laser beams.

The Ending of Rebuild 2.0 is on my model shelf. It will make you say 'Shinji Ikari is awesome' and right before the world ends.

Also. Watch End of Eva with the commentary on.

Advertisement